Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barton or Thoroughbred

• 25-06-2003 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my mobo, ram and processor. I was looking at komplett and I was having a look at the athlon processors. I've heard some talk about Thoroughbread and Barton processors before, but I just wanted to know was their a difference or just different makes? Someone told me Barton are better but gave no explanation as to why, so if anyone can fill me in it would be apprechieated.
    Thanks,
    BoB_BoT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Originally posted by Leggo
    Hey all, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my mobo, ram and processor. I was looking at komplett and I was having a look at the athlon processors. I've heard some talk about Thoroughbread and Barton processors before, but I just wanted to know was their a difference or just different makes? Someone told me Barton are better but gave no explanation as to why, so if anyone can fill me in it would be apprechieated.
    Thanks,
    BoB_BoT

I'd say your best bet is to look here buddy, it will answer more or less all ur questions ;)

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Thanks Deepseed, will have a look at that :),
    Just read it, Barton it is, thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Basically the 'barton core' processors have 521 KB of level 2 cach and a increased bus speed of 333 MHZ over the thoroughbred cpu's which have 256 KB level 2 cache and a bus speed of 266 MHZ,

If you were going to get a new mobo and a barton cpu make sure the mobo bus speed is 333 MHZ because it would be a waste having a 333 MHZ cpu on a 266MHz board,and visa versa.

I bought a Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz Bus cpu from komplett a while ago for E 215 , has gone down to E 200 now,Bargan.

Im actually selling a ABIT KD7 mobo atm,check it out -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102340

Good Luck.CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yeah, the mobo i'm going for is 400fsb so that will more than do it. still considering the barton 1.8 or the barton 2.0XXX processors.

Advertisement