Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Andromeda

Options
  • 25-06-2003 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Watched it on Sky one mix last night.. just remembered it at the last minute so put it on.. did not bother on Sky 1.. Anyway who watched it?

Andromeda is by no means a great show but its something to watch when nothing else is on. Last night was Odd and certainly no cliffhanger ep worthy of the begininning of a series. In fact all it proved was that Kevin Sorbo might not be as good a captain (acting wise) as his dead first officer!!

A little like Enterprise in that respect.. wrong actor as captain maybe!!

Still it was watchable.. if confusing at times!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Saw it on Sky one (forgot enterprise was over and decided to watch it anyway). Have to say it was better than it usually was. Be interesting if the character got brought back as a hologram like Sorbo did. Much darker then the current stream and a lot better for it I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Can't bear to watch it. Really makes me cringe.
    Its like a long running bad dream. KS is the keanu reeves of TV.

The fact they could not make a running story of the "common welath" idea shows how bad the writing is.

The show needs to sack all its staff and hire the B5 crew, then blow up the ship and start again.

Maybe with the vorlons attacking.....stop it I'm drooling........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm of the same attitude as you, Lawdie but that episode actually renewed my faith in tv. I'm gonna watch the next episode which will probably suck... but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I quite like the show :)
    But it aint a new series tho. Sky1 tend to show it inbetween other sci-fi shows series, so what were watching now is the second part of series two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hmm yeah i thought the last series seemed a little short... i think it was about 6 eps... :D

Last night was ok.. the unstoppable guy was pretty good... we need more of them ultra cool borg type guys.

• Advertisement

The villian looked the business but they never explained what the story with him was :( Also there were to many flashbacks/time reverse's for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Andromeda is pants. But it is watchable coz you can talk about how rubbish it is and watch at same time. Those quotes at the start can be pretty cool though.

Is this their third season?

Personally I think it was an interesting idea, but they try to cram a whole season of ideas into one or two episodes and so no one cares what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

andromada is rubbish and the only reasion its on is because enterprise and stargate sg1 dont have a handy 6 month on 6 month off runing back to back so your always getting either enterprise or stargate

come on i mean jesus i know enterprise has it problum,s but even "a night in sickbay" was better than most andromada show,s and thats saying something !

And stargate is so far above either show it should never end it has only gotten better and better and better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

there is a good reason to watch Andromeda cast_cobb.gif

I would have loved to see his Orthello.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Originally posted by Thaed
    there is a good reason to watch Andromeda cast_cobb.gif

Ah but he's leaving aint he.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    andromada is rubbish and the only reasion its on is because enterprise and stargate sg1 dont have a handy 6 month on 6 month off runing back to back so your always getting either enterprise or stargate

come on i mean jesus i know enterprise has it problum,s but even "a night in sickbay" was better than most andromada show,s and thats saying something !

And stargate is so far above either show it should never end it has only gotten better and better and better

Oh please, the Benny Hill Show had better stories than Enterprise does.

i said it had its problums lol

but all st starts slow and picks up in the third year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I agree with bismark. Andromeda is just terrible the story goes nowhere, the main plot is a joke and it only got made because gene rodenberry thought it up. I mean if any normal person walked into some tv execs office and pitched andromeda they would be thrown out ( and that goes for earth final conflict aswell)

This new seasion makes no sence either

a huge hi guard ship got destroyed by a tiny metor.......Jesus the andromada lived through attack after attack with bearly a scar

though that weird one with the gold coloring is alright looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

I guess nobody seems to really like it that much, but for those of you that do, just a heads up.
    Instead of creating a new thread, I hope the mods/admins don't mind me bumping up this one.

Sky 1 lost the rights ( Well they prolly just gave up on S4, and never bought it) so the Sci - Fi channel is showing S4 now on Wednesdays. It started last week, with no kind of publicity at all, which is ridiculous. Well apart from a little on the Sci-Fi channel's text facility but who ever looks @ that.

Anywho just letting any fans know.
    C Ya :cool:

Sky 1 are repeating the show on weekdays and C4 play 2 or 3 episodes every Saturday night. They change it around regularly though.

I must say I've changed my mind considerably since my last post. I originaly thought it was absolute crap. Now, I've decided that on the whole, the series is pretty ****. But there are a few incredibly, well crafted gems of episodes in there amongst the crud.

Not a bad show, if you can find one of those decent episodes.

Ivan wrote:
    Sky 1 are repeating the show on weekdays and C4 play 2 or 3 episodes every Saturday night. They change it around regularly though.

Yeh it's pretty amazing how long Sky 1 have been repeating S1 - S3. I'd say this is prolly the 4th time they have done the whole run, up to the end of S3. It's great & everything 2 see it again, but there is such a thing as overkill, & that has prolly helped alot of ppl turn away from the show.

Dang CH4, I don't know how many times they've caught me, with their late night showings. I'd be just in from the pub, and be ready to roll into bed, when I check the tube and there's a good ep of the show on. Start watching for a while & then I'm hooked. FLIPPIN graveyard slots LOL.

Anywho, from what I seen of S4 last night, it looked kinda good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I can't think of a single recent sci-fi show that's as bad as Andromeda. Even Mutant X is better (and that's saying something, that show is piss poor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

is Lexa Doig still in it?

tman wrote:
    is Lexa Doig still in it?

She was in all of S4, but wasn't in much of S5 as she was off on maternity leave.

BTW, sorry Koneko, but Granted Mutant X was indeed piss poor, Andromeda just barely trumps it.
    Mutant X
    Rip off of the X-Men
    Bad Characters
    Bad writing, bad plot, bad SFX.
    Andromeda
    Innovative Story
    Good characters
    Created by the legend that is Gene Roddenberry.
    One thing I didn't like about it was that it seemed a little too much like ST:TOS for me.

Anywho just my 2 cents.
    C YA :D

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    I can't think of a single recent sci-fi show that's as bad as Andromeda. Even Mutant X is better (and that's saying something, that show is piss poor).
    I find it hard to discredit someones opinion when they do it themselves, in the same post as their opinion.

Mutant X is so incredibly, incredibly bad...
    Andromeda, yes, is in the same vein but the writing is vastly superior. Its sad how people just cant get past Kevin Sorbo. Thats not all of what the show is about. There are other characters that make up for it. Alot of the script writing is great while other bits have Sorbo - Executive Producer written all over it.

There are a handful of really, really, good episodes that make up for whatever evil Andromeda contains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Its sad how people just cant get past Kevin Sorbo. Thats not all of what the show is about. There are other characters that make up for it. Alot of the script writing is great while other bits have Sorbo - Executive Producer written all over it.

I can't get past the fact that Sorbo managed to pervert the original idea of the series, created by Gene Roddenberry, and adapted by Robert Hewit Wolfe into what 'Andromeda' became after Season 2, episode 12 (the final episode written by Wolfe before he was fired).

There was a 5 year arc in place, with a series bible under Wolfe, and it was coming along very nicely indeed....until Sorbo decided "hey, I'm a producer on this show, and I'm acting in it -- there's not enough ME on screen". The formerly interesting characters of Harper, Beka, Trance, Tyr & Andromeda became little more than cyphers to interact with the all-powerful, indestructible Dylan Hunt.

I loved the season 1 finale 'It's Hour Come Round At Last', and season 2 kicked off really well, and it was improving all the time. I tried to give the series a chance once Wolfe was fired but the series de-generated into Sorbo acting like Captain Kirk, single-handedly defeating enemies, snogging random girls who can't resist his charms. Oh, and let's not mention the fact that Dylan eventually was revealed to be a demi-god (sound familiar at all Sorbo?) and the extra babe added to Dylan's harem in season 5.
    Frankly it became the rubbish series that most people assumed it was from the outset.

A wasted opportunity thanks to Sorbo.
    There are a handful of really, really, good episodes that make up for whatever evil Andromeda contains.

I really did enjoy many episodes in the first season, and up to #12 in Season 2, but what I've seen since, including the Season 2+3 finales were dire.

Well I have to admit, I havent seen much of season 3 - 5.
    I'm mainly going on season 1 - 2 as thats really all I've seen. I have worked out some of the elements of the continuing story arc and the dynamic between Tyr and the Andromeda crew, were some of the best moments of the show. From what I hear, he's been written out of it altogether, which is a real shame.

As for the initial premise, I think it is pretty terrible. It all stinks of Sorbo and his wishy-washy, goodiness style of acting (and Producing?). But as I've said on countless occasions, there are a few excellent episodes which manage to surpass all this, just.

Mutant X - bad, Andromeda - bad, nuf said.

Anywho if I may ask a question. Can anyone tell me what happened to all the Highguard ships that Dylan & the crew rescued from that POW camp in an ep from S3.

After they were resued they all seemed to have disappeared. I'm not sure but I don't think there was a Commonwealth base set up at the time, for the ships to be held so where R they. Are they just flying around space, or are we not to speak of them. Just curious to know where they are, especially the awesome The Wrath of Achilles. That was prolly 1 of the best ships ever in any Sci-Fi series.

C YA :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dylons's a demi god?

now I'm not an andromeda fan, or watcher but.. could someone explain this to me? I'm really curious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

dylons's a demi god?

A very funny preview of season 5 from TV Zone written by Sharron Hather:
    "PREVIOUSLY....Captain Dylan Hunt has discovered that he is a member of the Paradine, a mythical omniscient race able to control Time itself. One might even call him a demi-god (ahem).
    The rest of Andromeda's crew, meanwhile, ended season 4 being variously disintegrated, eaten, blown to bits, shot or turned into supernovae, presumably to make more room on set for Kevin Sorbo's head.

WHAT LIES AHEAD IN SEASON 5.... Having destroyed the Magog World Ship, Dylan's new-found powers will undoubtedly render him incapable of surviving 45 minutes without at least three punch-ups, and he will become even more irresistable to any female with a pulse or malfunctioning circuitry.

Andromeda completes its final descent from intelligent sci-fi adventure series into Baywatch/Hercules in space. Whether this deterioration is a symptom of Andromeda's struggle to survive in the cut-throat US TV marketplace, or whether Americans really can't follow a plot anymore complicated that 'Dylan meets hot chick, gets in fight, makes bad joke, beats up bad guys, snogs hot chick' is debatable. However the US Sci-Fi Channel can apparently afford a fifth season of Andromeda (unlike Farscape) despite its extensive financial commitments to the Stargate series. Make of that what you will.

Either way, although I'm not naive enough to believe Andromeda's existing lead actresses landed their roles purely on talent alone, total Dylancentricism has meant the slow and painful disintegration of the show's female characters into one-dimensional shadows of their formers selves, capable only of admiring Dylan and finding even skimpier outfits to squeeze into on a weekly basis.

Advertisement