Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free access wireless hotspot

Options
  • 25-06-2003 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

I run a DublinWAN node on eglinton rd, donnybrook, with an external antenna on my roof and a 1/2mbit broadband business connection from leap.

Anyone with a laptop/wireless pda can connect from a parked car nearby, but they currently won't be able to get onto the internet due to firewalling.

I want to open the network up to any boards/IOFFL members who feel like using it. So would anyone be interested in being able to park nearby and check their email or surf the web for free?

Anyone who wanted to use it would have to register with me to get a username/password as I do log all access. But if you have a laptop and wireless card then it's a free 1/2mbit connection anytime you're in the neighbourhood :)

Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

one of the ioffl board users was able to connect to the network from the ground floor of the 46a :) So if you're going to be heading into work on the 46a here's your chance to check your email. As long as you can do it very very quickly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I confirm and I've done it with a CF Wifi card in a Sony Clie... so not the best antenna around! :D

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by quozl
    one of the ioffl board users was able to connect to the network from the ground floor of the 46a :) So if you're going to be heading into work on the 46a here's your chance to check your email. As long as you can do it very very quickly ;)

If everyone who had broadband copied your example we might be able to set up a seamless WiFi roaming service for people stuck in slow moving traffic.

I can't see that there would be any safety risks even for drivers using such a service, as they snail along at 0.5 kph. They would do more damage if they were walking at 3kph and bumped into someone while reading a newspaper!

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'll probably never use it ( I'm in that area... roughly...never) but I definitely support the service and commend this member on his selfless act of service towards fellow IOFFL members.

Kudos to you :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I'll probably never use it ( I'm in that area... roughly...never) but I definitely support the service and commend this member on his selfless act of service towards fellow IOFFL members

Like the above i doubt ill every be able to take you up on you generous offer but its great to see that kind of community spirit.

Fair play to ya quozl :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement