Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD 200GB Harddrives

• 25-06-2003 4:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got myself a lovely WD 200GB hd this week, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=1&p=26023&s=fp

But just half way through while it was shipping I learned of a problem that my PC will only pick up 137GB of this drive, and sure enough its not picking up 200GB.
    Its only picking up 131GB of the drive

Talked to a friend of mine and he recommended this
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?ck=1&r=1&action=info&s=pl&p=22902&AvdID=1&CatID=15&GrpID=8
    to sort the problem.

I can see what the problem is, basically the limitations of the IDE controllers currently in my system.
    But is there any other cards recommened besides the one in the link above?

Anyone have any suggestions for decent cards that are not too expensive.

----

Also on a related note, I'm running a KT7A-Raid mobo, will a second Raid card cause any issues with my onboard Raid?

I've also updated the bios and drivers for my onboard Raid and still no luck :(
    Unless they've suddenly released new bios for this board that'll sort my problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

did u check mobo maker site for bios update ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Of course, first thing I did
    Nothing of use on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Dat card should b fine m8..u'll notice no slow down what so ever, if u had of bougth the maxtor drive u would have gotten their card with it but u didn't hope it work ok m8..

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maxtor giving away ATA133 cards with their hard drives now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Maxtor giving away ATA133 cards with their hard drives now?

Apparently so, was talking to PPC about it
    If only I had known at the time :confused:
    oh well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Yrthilian

ok dont know if it will halp i only used this once and work for me

what you could try is makeing a second partition on the drive i know the board does not pick it up as beeing a 200gb drive

what you need too to is run command prompt and then run fdisk /x

that will make it show all the space includeing hidden space and you might be able to make the system think it has 2 drive that way and maby use the rest of the space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't WD drives have a cylinder capping jumper to let them work with older BIOSes?

Originally posted by Yrthilian
    what you need too to is run command prompt and then run fdisk /x

that will make it show all the space includeing hidden space and you might be able to make the system think it has 2 drive that way and maby use the rest of the space

Partitioning of any kind will not help this issue, its a physical limitation of the hardware/bios and even if I do fool windows into finding the 200GB drive.
    The second I fill the drive passed 137/139GB mark windows won't pick up the drive anymore till I format it and I'll loose my data.

I've found is actually a known issue, supposed I should have edited my first post to say so, buy hay :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Are you using win2k ? I think they can only register a max of 137Gigs per hdd.
    prob wont work but : right click on my computer and go to Manage and then go down to disk management you might find the extra space undetected by windows there.:confused:

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

B warned m8 the guys above r right even if get windozzzzz to pick up all 200 gigz u will loose all the data on it...go but the pic ide controller card i had 1 instaleld and they work perfectly..especially with the 8 meg of cache on the drive u'll thing ure were runnin on an ide slot

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was always under the impression that no AMD system whatsoever would pick up a hard drive thats larger than 137GB.
    Nothing to do with the BIOS but more a hardware issue.

Am i wrong in believing this?

Advertisement