Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Long to appear on RTE news.

Options
  • 25-06-2003 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

IOFFL's chairman, David Long, will be making another appearance on RTE news later today (either 6 or 9 pm) about the introduction of FRIACO based services.

It would be nice to get a record of the event on the IOFFL website. If anyone has equipment to capture and digitise it, it would be appreciated if they could either respond on this thread or PM David Long ("dangger").

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I wont be home by 6 but i'll try to remember to do the 9pm.... it'll be on the RTE News website anyways probably

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

...and that was The Nerds at Nine... now the weather.. :)

(I'd like to reiterate my suggestion about the hotdog-waistcoat. You could hold the entire of RTE to ransom for decent broadband!)

Its just a pity that FRIACO is a day late and a dollar short.

Good luck though Dave! I'll be rooting for you as ever!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ok was that it, 2 minutes 2 flaming minutes on the news, highlights are

1) UTV and ESATBT to launch friaco on friday

2) David long (nice suit by the way :)), saying that friaco is vital for areas who cant get BB (also true), not debating that just the way RTE smugly said that with the introduction of BB is friaco really necessary, slaps head there, David did get in the point though about only 100 of the 1100 exchanges being upgraded

3) Dermot aherne, looking like he could suck a tennis ball through a racket, praising all for a job well done, oh and some rubbish about the online price war YADA YADA YADA

God it was such a letdown, but i suppose it was a vegetable piece nothing more nothing less

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A typical piece of mass market news journalism in other words.....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Here's the 56k video (real media) from the 1 o'clock news. The same piece was shown later at 6. It will roll off the website in a day or so.

• Advertisement

i taped the 9pm news but it wasn't on it

sorry chaps

however

you can access the source file here: [url=rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2003/0625/6news56.rm]rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2003/0625/6news56.rm[/url]

clip starts at 43:12 & ends at 45:02

edit: uhhh anyone know how to download rtsp stuff?

dammit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Originally posted by pete

edit: uhhh anyone know how to download rtsp stuff?

Streambox is what ya want for that. I gave it a go but 42.3Mb over me winkly wee 56k is gonna take a good while. Maybe if someone with BB could give it a go.

Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As Eircom appear to have RTE and RTE NEWS by the short & curlies, I suppose it is something of a miracle that anything that might embarass the Eircom Rat even gets an airing!.

I for one am sick of seeing Eircom all over RTE. Get rid of them for Gods sake.

Paddy20.

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Streambox is what ya want for that. I gave it a go but 42.3Mb over me winkly wee 56k is gonna take a good while. Maybe if someone with BB could give it a go.

Dregin

Oh irony of ironies

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by shinzon
    Ok was that it, 2 minutes 2 flaming minutes on the news, highlights are

1) UTV and ESATBT to launch friaco on friday

2) David long (nice suit by the way :)), saying that friaco is vital for areas who cant get BB (also true), not debating that just the way RTE smugly said that with the introduction of BB is friaco really necessary, slaps head there, David did get in the point though about only 100 of the 1100 exchanges being upgraded

3) Dermot aherne, looking like he could suck a tennis ball through a racket, praising all for a job well done, oh and some rubbish about the online price war YADA YADA YADA

God it was such a letdown, but i suppose it was a vegetable piece nothing more nothing less

Regards

Shin

Moan moan moan. This really is a familiar tune. IOFFL are doing a bloody good job, getting publicity like that. I can only imagine that a serious amount of effort went into getting it organised. What were you expecting ?

Gav

• Advertisement

A little more than the rubbish that was aired VERB, and as for organising an appearence, jesus , emm david this is RTE calling would you like to appear on the news, Sure i would nps, thx then cya later

God

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

FFS, enough.

I'm greatful some people around here can remember the days when IOFFL had no coverage what so ever.

I think many people have simply no idea how much time and effort is required to secure and prepare for prolonged media coverage of this whole topic as its been going on for so long.

Myself and Christian took a full day off our contracted jobs yesterday. In other words we went without a days wage to ensure we could be in a position to provide input into the coverage of flat rate. It's not the first time we did it and I suspect it won't be the last.

Before I get criticised, it's true that it was our choice and I'm not moaning about it, just stating the facts.

A lunch was held for the lobbying groups who had called for flat rate with Minister, many of he DCMNR staff who had worked on it, and the press attending. This was a valuable opportunity for IOFFL to discuss the future and the next steps, we didn't sit around moaning about the cap on FRICAO, you can be sure of that.

I'm glad IOFFL has attracted a core group willing to make things happen by contributing their time and energy, and has the support of individuals who appreciate the effort required and help when they can.

It's so easy to moan, and it's all that happened for a long time before IOFFL was formed. Since I can't stand people who moan about moaners either (as I am right now) , I'll stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

A little more than the rubbish that was aired VERB, and as for organising an appearence, jesus , emm david this is RTE calling would you like to appear on the news, Sure i would nps, thx then cya later

Shinzon, thats possibly the stupidest thing youve said on this forum to date.

You didnt asnwer the question, what exactly DID you expect? I suspect all you want to see is an in-depth analysis of Waterfords DSL enabled exchanges and an explanation of why you cant get it.

Getting to the stage where RTE call Ioffl for comment is a massive achievement in itself and dave did well to get the extra stuff he mentioned included. How do you think RTE came to call Dave? Its not quite as simple as you make out.

can somebody please tell me exactly what comment was made that pushed any goals further then they are, nothing that was said in the interview wasnt what was already known, by adverts, fliers and information that coulda have been gotten anywhere

It was a vegetable piece pure and simple, nothing will be said to rock the boat, eircom has there foot in RTES door, they sponsor the weather have ads on the telly ETC ETC ETC

So i stand by what i said 100%, im not looking for any indepth investigation of Waterford DSL, it aint happening, im looking into wireless options and will get it that way, but nor do i want the Irish consumer to be thought of as a dope, im sick and tired of the softly softly approach, that the irish must be given the ABC of the internet again and again and again because supposedly they dont know what friaco is or broadband is which if they dont know by now then they shouldnt even have a modem attached to there PC in the first place.

david and ioffl are doing good work, but the time for spelling out what these things are is over and if there not prepared to go that extra mile and really hammer the message then perhaps its time to step aside take what we have and let some other people run with the ball

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

<snip>
    because supposedly they dont know what friaco is or broadband is which if they dont know by now then they shouldnt even have a modem attached to there PC in the first place.

A lot of people dont know what friaco and broadband are and a number of them couldn't care less.
    Any publicity is good publicity and the awareness is slwoly rising. I have friends now asking me to explain stuff they they wouldnt laughed at before if id mentioned it.

Slowly but surely the people who you feel shouldnt have a modem attached to their pc's are learning what they are missing out on and are learning why they dont get it as good here as in other countries and what it can be used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

david and ioffl are doing good work, but the time for spelling out what these things are is over and if there not prepared to go that extra mile and really hammer the message then perhaps its time to step aside take what we have and let some other people run with the ball

Who do you suggest??

then perhaps its time to step aside take what we have and let some other people run with the ball

Absolutely! Looking forward to giving you the ball at the AGM.

not for one absolute minute did i ever say me and i want that on public record as of from this time forward.

just being a bit more forceful on the issues would be even a bit of help David, take the tack away from this is what this is and this is what that is. rather more this is the state of things, this is how eircom have lied continually to the public, the infrastructure is ****e etc

And if RTE dont want to report on that then goto TV3 who are not constrained by the rather kiss my big roundy advertised stranglehold arse attitude of eircom

regards

Shin

I think the real issue here is a misconception by many people on this forum as to how clued up the rest of the population is on these issues.

IOFFL does not have the resources or the inclination to educate the nation on the merits of broadband and Internet technologies. There are allegedly government agencies for that. We exist to have Internet connectivity made available to all for a reasonable cost.

The reason IOFFL is asked to answer all these "what is broadband" type questions when we engage with the press is because the mass meda journalists don't want their listeners/readers switching off on hearing a load of tech talk. We would not be asked back on radio or tv if we spouted off about the tech side too much.

It's a terrifying thought in 2003, but the majority here could be considered the "early adopters" in Ireland.

I'm stepping down as chairman from the end of June and look forward to a new approach if it is deemed necessary and appropiate.

just being a bit more forceful on the issues would be even a bit of help David, take the tack away from this is what this is and this is what that is. rather more this is the state of things, this is how eircom have lied continually to the public, the infrastructure is ****e etc
    I disagree with this. When you are on national radio or TV, the thing to do is keep it simple and explain everything. Even people like Damien Kilberd and David McWilliams will require explanations of the terms being discussed because they know a lot of people listening won't know much about FRIACO, DSL etc. This may be frustrating for some people here, but that is not important.

The object is to reach as many people as possible and alienate as few as possible. I would much rather that David Long speak for 20 seconds in a calm rational manner than go on a rant that only a few people on this forum would understand. That would only set the situation back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by SkepticOne

The object is to reach as many people as possible and alienate as few as possible. I would much rather that David Long speak for 20 seconds in a calm rational manner than go on a rant that only a few people on this forum would understand. That would only set the situation back.

I agree totally.A fine balance is needed between the two.

carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

A person can say whatever they want in front of a microphone, and we'll never know. They (RTÉ or whomever) will take the tape and edit it down to a 5-10 second sound byte which barely reflects what was said anyway. If it's not so simple that a 6th class drop-out can understand it, it won't be aired.

So don't judge Dave's ability to communicate by what you see on telly.

RTÉ folks have fast "always on" internet at work, so most have no clue what the problem is.

*MOST* people in Ireland don't use the internet and don't think it is important at all . All this internet gobbledy-gook talk is just a load of hooey to them! We are lucky that ANYthing shows up on the news about it.

Ban'

I must admit I answered several questions on camera on the day, must have been at least 5 minues in total. Only a smidging makes it to the cut. I must be all over the floor of some darkened room somewhere in RTE :(

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

I'd have to disagree with the *most* people in ireland don't use the internet. Huge amounts of people use it everyday in work/college/schools etc, and especially amongst the younger generation who want their xbox live or ps2 to work over the internet. All these people will have an interest. It's just up to now they have been lead to believe that dial -up was all you could get at home. Thats why there was no interest.
    Now eircom launch a second rate broadband service and lead general joe soap to believe they're getting the best product in the world.
    I think the general public don't know how bad eircom have been how much they've delayed broadband/competition etc.
    A more forceful approach as Shinzon said might make people more aware of the rip off/anti competive behaviour of their telco.
    It doesn't have to be a big technical rant that people would make people switch off, just boil it down to money(how we have the highest or near highest line rental in europe for example) and anti comptetive behaviour, not having the publics interest at heart etc...etc. Non technical people would understand this perfectly.

My 2cents neway

Edit : 1st line corrected as i misquoted it.

just boil it down to money(how we have the highest or near highest line rental in europe for example) and anti comptetive behaviour, not having the publics interest at heart etc...etc.

But that sums up what we've been saying, particularly most recently. For example discussions with David McWilliams, and Damien Kilberd of Newstalk have focused on exactly what you are suggesting.

Financial comparisons and the lack of quality services compared to elsewhere in Europe and the world have always been part of the commentary.

can somebody please tell me exactly what comment was made that pushed any goals further then they are, nothing that was said in the interview wasnt what was already known, by adverts, fliers and information that coulda have been gotten anywhere
    Getting the name of your organisation on national TV is hugely important. If you can get a bit of 'message' across, that is a further bonus but you don't always get that chance.

The alternative and easier option would have been to sit at home. Personally, I'd rather Dave and IOFFL use whatever opportunities present themselves in the appropriate way, than do that. Not every media appearance will allow IOFFL to put the issues to bed once and for all and attempting to do so on a 10 second news slot would have been insane.

I think your criticisms are unreasonable and your expectations unrealistic.

im only criticising because whats been said is exactly whats been again and again and aggggggggainnnnnnn, on every flaming news program from here to timbuctoo, its the same thing over and over.

its doing my head in just listening to it.

Im not talking about a 3 hour rant and rave about contention ratios etc, what im talking about is slipping in stuff about the anti competitveness of eircom, line rental that sorta thing, and the trick about interviews especiallly TV is that you slip it in in such away that the you make the journalist think he thought about it in the first place, compare Davids interview and Dermot ahernes, just go back and watch it and see which was the more slick, who worked the camera more and got more air time, it was the minister basically because he knew who to work the media and in order foy IOFFL to get these sorts of points across then this must be learned 2

Regards

Shin

PS theres a big difference between talk radio and TV, Tv gives you the country, radio gives you whose listening to it at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

And if RTE dont want to report on that then goto TV3 who are not constrained by the rather kiss my big roundy advertised stranglehold arse attitude of eircom

shinzon were you not the very same person who would not be interviewed for TV3 ? Could you have done a better job yourself ? I seem to remember you pleading with other people to take your place.

Dave, sorry to hear you're thinking of standing down.
    I do remember what it was like when we could hardly get on a radio show let alone RTE. Keep up the good work..

im only criticising because whats been said is exactly whats been again and again and aggggggggainnnnnnn, on every flaming news program from here to timbuctoo, its the same thing over and over.

its doing my head in just listening to it.
    Yes, but your head is not important. You are not the target, are you? The target is all those people who have not heard of IOFFL. If this means doing your head in, then I say go for it.
    ick about interviews especiallly TV is that you slip it in in such away that the you make the journalist think he thought about it in the first place, compare Davids interview and Dermot ahernes, just go back and watch it and see which was the more slick, who worked the camera more and got more air time, it was the minister basically because he knew who to work the media and in order foy IOFFL to get these sorts of points across then thi
    So, because David's interview was not as slick as a senior politician with highly paid professional advisers and PR people who, even without these people, would get more of a hearing on RTE simply because he is a minister of the Government, you think that David Long should have stayed at home and not bothered. This is what I meant by unreasonable and unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It was a vegetable piece pure and simple, nothing will be said to rock the boat, eircom has there foot in RTES door, they sponsor the weather have ads on the telly ETC ETC ETC

Uh, i'm pretty sure Esat also advertise on RTE.

But basically, its the fscking tea time news what did you expect? They don't have *time* to have a heated debate about dsl, you really sound like you're one step away from suggesting IOFFL should turn to anarchy!

Advertisement