Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 289 Exchange (foxrock/cabinteely)

Options
  • 25-06-2003 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭

Apparantly this exchange isn't going to be upgraded for at least another year (so june 2004), and this is what I was told last year as well (june 2003). This exchange covers foxrock and cabinteely, and I know for a fact that there is a hell of alot of isdn lines in the area that will be paying per minute for their internet use, and have the money to pay large bills for it. Seems to me like the delay on broadband in the area might be linked to this, cynical ? me ? never :)

Any other companies, irish broadband, esat etc. gonna be looking into getting broadband setup in this area ? Because from the looks of things, it would be at least a year head start over eircom on an area of dublin with a very high pc to household ratio (not one neighbour in my area hasn't got a pc and all updated in the last 3 years or so)

The exchange is just off the N11 dual carriageway, near foxrock church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I know for a fact that there is a hell of alot of isdn lines in the area that will be paying per minute for their internet use, and have the money to pay large bills for it. Seems to me like the delay on broadband in the area might be linked to this

you're more then likely correct about this, because they've done the same in other areas where there is a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Hold on, i dont get it. I live in cabinteely. I could have got Eircom DSL but i dont want it badly enough. Im waiting around for esat...just barely. I dont really use the net that much so i dont mind either way but it wud be good to have. So your telling me, even thought ive passed the test and theyve accepted my order and given me my password and setup saying in 12 days you'll be online...i wont be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Astrofool.. have you tried IWISP wireless (www.irishwisp.net)?

I'm in Cabinteely and have them, pretty happy with them. Pings aren't great but download speeds are generally good.

I'm on the 285 (roadchestown) exchange which is enabled for DSL but 4 or 5 gigs isn't quite enough for me, plus DSL is a tad more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I’m in the same boat astrofool. I've been told for months that the exchange would be upgraded by end of June. Phoned them yesterday, was told another 2-4 months probably. This makes me believe maybe 1-2 years.

So, IBB activate that belmont tower ASAP.

50Cent... you’re probably outside the 289 exchange area... such an obvious answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

if u're phone number begins with 289 u're on this exchange, and if u're getting dsl on your line, than gimme a shout so I can ring eircom and shout abuse at them :)

i do IT work around the area, so basically whenever broadband does hit, i'll make sure that nobody in the area uses eircom. They wonder why people are moving away from them in droves as well.

IT'S BECAUSE OF FARCICAL SITUATIONS LIKE THIS YOU IDIOTS :)

rant over

• Advertisement

So have you tried IWISP? If you've got line of site to 3 Rock and you live in Foxrock, then you should be able to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

IWISP is no good either, because its LOS dependent.

Many 289 people live the dark side of the hill that the stillorgan dual-carrageway runs on top of:

map.jpg

so basically fcuking €ircon have us by the bollocks, and they know it

Well that map indicates that there is no signal where I am, but I'm using it right now.

The only way you can find out for sure is a line of sight test..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

or seeing as you're into IT have a look at IrishWAN (http://www.irishwan.org) or DublinWAN the dublin branch (http://www.dublinwan.org). Even if you can't get broadband perhaps you can see someone who can, and you can share the costs..

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

can we clear this up.....i live in cabinteely.
    wjen will we be able to get any sort of BB in the area?
    i need it badly....xbox live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Does someone know if we can get Leap where you can't get IrishBroadband (i.e. the white area on tha map)?
    I'm in this area and I failed got a LOS test from IBB...

I'm wondering (as sugested by Greg) about DublinWAN and the sharing of a 1Mb/s from Leap... but at 300e/month we will need to be at least 6 to divide the cost to something reasonable...!

The other idea I had was to burn all the houses where people are paying huge ISDN bills... I know where you are!! :D

Raphael

i live in the white area too.
    whats this sharing plan of yours?

Well that's not mine...
    Check the web site from quolz/Greg's post (DublinWAN).

Raphael

Hold on this is ridiculous. I just moved from a 289 area. It wasnt foxrock or cabinteely. It was Blackrock..Newtown park avenue to be precise. So its hardly an obvious answer, cos right now, i live AS CENTRAL TO CABINTEELY AS IT GETS! My number is not 289 anymore. Its 201. So maybe its this thread which is clearly wrong...

I apparently am on the Dun Laoighre exchange. This is very confusing...not obvious at all.

i live near cornelscourt and im 289.
    you able to get BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Lads,

These are the no. ranges for Foxrock exchange

2065000-2065999
    2070000-2070999
    2191000-2192999
    2890000-2891999
    2892000-2897999
    2898000-2899999

Regards.

Can I ask you where did you find these?!

Thanks
    Raphael

Trick of the trade I'm afraid. If there's another exchange you want, just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Bastids,
    I live on the 'dark side' of foxrock church. 289 (foxrock) exchange too.

Really most of the numbers for that exchange are on the westside of blackrock as most of the main b.rock town is covered by 288.

any info on future 289 upgrades appreicated.
    2065000-2065999
    2070000-2070999
    2191000-2192999
    2890000-2891999
    2892000-2897999
    2898000-2899999
    where in gods name did you get these numbers - they're not the sort of info eircom gives away. now where's me wardialer....:)

tribble

I dont have it. they said i can get it. I live in Gabriels just down the road. Im on 201 exchange. I wouldnt sweat either way, it all seems liek a ****en joke and there the only ones laughing. No1 has IOL bband and its been out for ages...****en sucks.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can confirm that Foxrock is now ready to go and DSL can be ordered from any of the providers.

Regards.
    Originally posted by astrofool
    Apparantly this exchange isn't going to be upgraded for at least another year (so june 2004), and this is what I was told last year as well (june 2003). This exchange covers foxrock and cabinteely, and I know for a fact that there is a hell of alot of isdn lines in the area that will be paying per minute for their internet use, and have the money to pay large bills for it. Seems to me like the delay on broadband in the area might be linked to this, cynical ? me ? never :)

Any other companies, irish broadband, esat etc. gonna be looking into getting broadband setup in this area ? Because from the looks of things, it would be at least a year head start over eircom on an area of dublin with a very high pc to household ratio (not one neighbour in my area hasn't got a pc and all updated in the last 3 years or so)

The exchange is just off the N11 dual carriageway, near foxrock church.

you sure about that??

Thank you for your enquiry
    We are sorry IOL Broadband is currently not available in your area.

god i hope your right.

Chris.

Konix,

Definately available. Probably another case of Esat not having a clue.

regards.
    Originally posted by Konix
    you sure about that??

Thank you for your enquiry
    We are sorry IOL Broadband is currently not available in your area.

god i hope your right.

Chris.

ok. ill try eircom later. thanks.
    will i be able to get NTL aswell?
    which would you reccomend?

brilliant. i just checked eircom....i can get it!

Cheers for all your help Gombin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Theres NTL internet in fox rock now? When did this happen?

If you have the choice, go for NTl......not exactly a hard choice as it has everything in its favour :p

im not sure about NTL but i definitely have some sort of broadband at last.

Dear Mr Stevens,

Thank you for your email and my apologies for the delay in responding. Currently, our Cable Modem services are only available in Dublin West and limited parts of Lucan. We do hope to however, launch Cable Modem services thorough out Dublin but unfortunately I am unable to give you any timeframe that may be involved. Should you wish to know more about ntl products, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Sales Department on 1800 234 234.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind Regards
    Will - NTL Customer Support

Ah well whats my next choice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Hold on this is ridiculous. I just moved from a 289 area. It wasnt foxrock or cabinteely. It was Blackrock..Newtown park avenue to be precise.

i live on newtownpark ave too (288 exchange though) and i can get eircom esat or netsource :D

(sorry, really couldnt resist)

• Advertisement

Gombin,
    Do you know what teh problem here is? it says my line is now ready for DSL but the exchange isnt.

Order eircom i-stream self install
    eircom i-stream starter is currently unavailable in your local exchange. We suggest you look at eircom hi-speed/ISDN as an alternative to high speed Internet access.

Please select continue

Advertisement