Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip FRIACO - Migration from Current Services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

the new number generated by the dialler is not prefixed by the CPS number (13513), should it be ?

Thanks

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by trap4
    Hmm, I checked Malcolm and it's not! See, I didn't use the old dialler, just the old number, which has now been overwritten with the new number. A bit messy isn't it (or me).

-Jim.
    Jim, I have checked our test set-up and your dial up networking icon and number should still be available, although no longer your default setting. If you ring our tech support line on 1890 926111 they will sort this out for you.

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    Hi,

the new number generated by the dialler is not prefixed by the CPS number (13513), should it be ?

Thanks

M.
    No
    The prefix was inserted in the old UTVip number to safegaurd the customer against unexpected high bills if CPS was accidently removed.
    As 1893 calls are not carried by CPS there is no need for this safeguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

From the UTVip XL FAQ:

It`s very important that your computer system is using this dialer software in order to dial the correct UTVip dial-up number, if you`re not sure please contact our support team

I'm really not happy about having to install a dialler on my system. Could anyone from UTV explain in detail why it is so important and why we can't simply set the new number up with dialup networking?

Also what about those of us who may wish to use linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Could you not just set up a new connection using the number given earlier in this thread and use your existing password, or does the account have to set up through the dialer.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    Could you not just set up a new connection using the number given earlier in this thread and use your existing password, or does the account have to set up through the dialer.
    The UTVipXL account is set-up before the dialler is downloaded. However, the service requires a dialler to be used in order to utilise a combination of FRIACO/PSTN numbers to avoid congestion at peak times. If you do not use the dialler then we cannot quarantee the same quality of service, as those using the dialler, and you may get busy tones when trying to connect at peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Thanks for that, I knew it had to be of been some use :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I just get this error

"you need at leat version 5 of internet explorer to continue this installation" im using IE6

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I signed up for UTVip XP and I installed the required program.
    When this installed it deleted my old UTVip Dial-up number and replaced it with the new one. Since I can't dial up with the new number I added a new connection and put in the old number. It dials up perfectly but then it asks me for my password which I entered but the box still pops up. When I press cancel it disconnects. I am now dialing up on an Eircom number which I am being charged for.

What could be the problem?

BTW I rang UTV three times but still no joy. The last time I rang them they told me to ring them back when I am beside my PC and they'll talk me through it but I can't get to my PC from a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hi
    With all or most of us hungering for afordable broadband will changing to the new FRIACO thingie put us on a new minimum contract of 3 months or will it as it should just be a change which wont effect anything so we still just have one month notice??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Emm....what about people using ISDN and specifically ISDN routers?

Can the one number be used or is there a list of numbers available, i.e. I could change to an alternative number if the main one tends to be congested?

JWT

This dialer thing aswell as a possible new contract period really worry me!!
    Right now i am using internet sharing of my server, so would a dialer not mess this up or even make it impossible?
    and i really need a answer on the contract question fast, this should in fact be on the FAQ site!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭corkie

If you choose to migrate to the new service, from what I read when doing so you will be on a new 3 month contract!

U don't have to use the dialer programe!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jwt
    Can the one number be used or is there a list of numbers available, i.e. I could change to an alternative number if the main one tends to be congested?
    Scott Taunton seems to have answered this, as quoted by DeVore here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Malcolm
    However, the service requires a dialler to be used in order to utilise a combination of FRIACO/PSTN numbers to avoid congestion at peak times.
    Am I the only the one who detects a hint of BS in the above statement?

The real reason is probably because you accept the TOS by installing the dialler - if you don't install the dialler you haven't legally agreed to the TOS and can't be held to a contract - a bit like with eircon's ADSL cd....

I don't see how the dialler could phone a different number (for instance in the case of repeated busy tones) when it appears to have only one UTVip XL number (ie 1893 242 242).

Windoze can be setup to dial alternative numbers anyway.

BTW, I'm not amused with the dialler changing my IE6 homepage to http://u.tv.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

FFS. You lot are never happy. UTV (Malcom etc) come on here and do their damndest to provide us with info and help and UTV have come out with the most competitive package and still you lot complain about diallers and your homepage being changed. Be happy that FRIACO is finally here and quit your moaning.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    FFS. You lot are never happy. UTV (Malcom etc) come on here and do their damndest to provide us with info and help and UTV have come out with the most competitive package and still you lot complain about diallers and your homepage being changed. Be happy that FRIACO is finally here and quit your moaning.

Sure, UTVip is still the best but that does not mean they are perfect!
    So when i pay a fair bit of money every month for a product i expect to know what i am paying for and i do not like this product to mess up my pc.
    A new 3 month contract is completely insane, have been a customer for almost a year now, or maybe it just seems that way when using dial up....

Originally posted by eireboy
    I signed up for UTVip XP and I installed the required program.
    When this installed it deleted my old UTVip Dial-up number and replaced it with the new one. Since I can't dial up with the new number I added a new connection and put in the old number. It dials up perfectly but then it asks me for my password which I entered but the box still pops up. When I press cancel it disconnects. I am now dialing up on an Eircom number which I am being charged for.

What could be the problem?

BTW I rang UTV three times but still no joy. The last time I rang them they told me to ring them back when I am beside my PC and they'll talk me through it but I can't get to my PC from a phone.

Please Help me with this!

When it disconnects a message comes up saying:

"Error 365

Cannot establish the Dial-Up Networking session.
    Check your server type setting in the properties of the connection, and try the connection again."

Any Ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Eireboy I had the very same problem with the password :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Eireboy I had the very same problem with the password
    The new number and service can not go live until tomorrow (don't ask me why, but Eircom have only allowed us a few test numbers so far...)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It seems to me that UTV would be reluctant to publicise the PSTN fallback numbers, simply because some chancers would probably start dialing those numbers by default at UTV's expense.

That said, I hope there's some way around it. Martin et al, certain of us don't have a choice about dialing up from non-Windows/Mac operating systems; try to spare a thought for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I thought people using the current UTVip package were going to be switched to the new FRIACO package automatically. Will this happen eventually?
    Will they e-mail us?

Originally posted by exiztone
    I thought people using the current UTVip package were going to be switched to the new FRIACO package automatically. Will this happen eventually?
    Will they e-mail us?
    All active UTVip customers have been e-mailed with a link to migrate to the new service. If you have not received this e-mail contact our support team on 1890 926000 and they will help you migrate. Again, to clarify if you migrate before the end of June the new service can only be used from the 1st of July. You should only download the dialler when you are going to use the new service (on 1st July) - the new flat rate account will not work until 1st July and until then all UTVip customers should continue with their existing UTVip dial up number.

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    The new number and service can not go live until tomorrow (don't ask me why, but Eircom have only allowed us a few test numbers so far...)

I was actually talking about the old number (1890), it kept asking me for a password and I couldn't connect to internet without being charged with the Eircom number,which I had to use. But now since the new number (1893) is working it still asks me for a password, I want to get this sorted out before my bill is huge (6 hours local call every evening).

Anyone no whats wrong?

Just got a reply from the UTVIP support regarding upgrading from a existing account to the XL account.
    If you do this you will have to run the XL account for a minimum of 3 months as it is considdered a new account.
    So now you will have to think extra before upgrading if you are hoping to get fx. ripwave within the next 2 months or so...
    Personally i think this is a really bad idea and UTV should cinsidder letting this new contract thingie go!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Just got a reply from the UTVIP support regarding upgrading from a existing account to the XL account.
    If you do this you will have to run the XL account for a minimum of 3 months as it is considdered a new account.
    So now you will have to think extra before upgrading if you are hoping to get fx. ripwave within the next 2 months or so...
    Personally i think this is a really bad idea and UTV should cinsidder letting this new contract thingie go!!:mad:
    I doubt ripwave could be out that soon...

I am an existing UTVip customer and I signed up for XP and I am now dialing with the new number (1893), but the new number doesn't come into affect until Tuesday. Am I being charged at local rate or am I still on the 150 hour off-peak thing?

I am an existing UTVip customer and I signed up for XP and I am now dialing with the new number (1893), but the new number doesn't come into affect until Tuesday. Am I being charged at local rate or am I still on the 150 hour off-peak thing?
    Did you sign up for the new service or use the migration process?

Originally posted by Malcolm
    Did you sign up for the new service or use the migration process?

Migration.

• Advertisement

Migration.
    If you used the migration service the UTVipXL account should not be active until 1st July and you should continue to use the old 1890 927161 number for access up to that time.

Advertisement