Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN aint working

Options
  • 25-06-2003 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

mkah, i just built a new pc, and the mobo i got (abit is7-e) has on board 10/100 lan. The first prob i have is that the card comes up as 3com gigabit ethernet card in windows xp, dunno if this is a prob or not but... meh!

the second problem and biigest problem is that although my 2 computers are linked up by 20 metres of shielded crossover cable that has been tested (accroding to its packing)
    xp is howing the nic's as cable unplugged.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Simple things first,

Whats the OS of the second machine?
    How is networking setup on both machines?
    What IP address/subnet mask have you put on both machines?
    Can you ping 127.0.0.1 on both machines? (Its a loopback address)?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Did specific drivers for the NIC come with the board?
    Can only see drivers for win98 on their site.

You could get rid of XP :)

If it thinks it's a Gigabit NIC you may have a hard time trying to convince XP that it is in fact a different card.
    (well from what I've seen of XP anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

IP assigned to pc : dunno!

Yes the ping yoke works on both machines.

network setup : beh? always used xp network wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You don't need to use a wizard, it's easy to setup.
    In network and dialup connections, right click on the Local Area Connection and go into properties.
    Go into the properties for TCP/IP and assign an IP address and subnet mask on both PCs.
    Use 192.168.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 on the 1st and then 192.168.1.2 and 255.255.255.0 on the second machine.
    This site will help too, http://www.wown1.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You might also like to make sure that the workgroup name for each machine is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think the little network icon will appear(working) even if tcp/ip isn't configured, which implies that there is a problem with the network card/cable. If you have tested the cable as you say, then search around on google groups for people with your motherboard and XP. The problem has probably occured with a few other people.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Forget windows for now... if it says its unpplugged then its either NOT a crossover cable or its not working.. otherwise its a case the card is not working right....

Forget windows for now and look at the back of BOTH systems and see if you have a constant green light on each (means there is a recognised cable inserted) and flashing amber means there is activity going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

oops!

soreh, i found the prb yesterday and forgot the post. I tested each of the three nic's i have and they all work on cable that works, the cable was the problem :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I recently bought an Abit board and because of problems I was having I was trawling the forums... I did see in one forum (i think it was forum.abit-usa.com) that some of the IS7's were sent out with gigabit ethernet chips because the supplier (3Com) could not supply enough 100Mbit chips ... so it looks like you may have got a freebie...
    Only way to know for sure though is to get someone else with gigabit ethernet and a cat5e or cat6 crossover cable

Advertisement