Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV, ESAT, will you tell us your user:modem ratio?

Options
  • 25-06-2003 7:03pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok we all know that UTV and Esat read these boards.

I'd like to ask what the user:modem ratio is going to be. No fibs now, you know we'll find out :)

Seriously though, I'd really like someone from those companies to tell us honestly how they are diluting their ports.

Perhaps some of the journos on the board could ask too?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Done.

Please see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102565

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

For those of you who dont want to be bothered looking though the other thread here is Scotts answer quoted.
    We are not stating contention ratios purely because they won't exist. Obviously, if we cram too many users into one area, the service will deteriorate to a point where our service looks awful to the customer.

We will therefore (at our own expense) be routing calls via standard PSTN service if our FRIACO ports are clogged.

This goes some of the way to explaining why we need to bundle CPS with our service. We are then able to route this without cost to the customer.

This will trigger our requirement to reduce our costs by ordering additional FRIACO circuits in that area.

I hope this is of assistance.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

So if you have one port (30 "modems") in an area... and 31 people phone up, you are going to answer the 31st call via standard PSTN tech?

Would that mean that pretty much noone will get an engaged tone if everything is working correctly with the UTV FRIACO deal?
    Is that what you are saying?

If Esat isnt going to match that, thats a MAJOR difference.

Hopefully someone from Esat will enlighten us as to what their ratio is going to be or if they are going to follow the same path.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    So if you have one port (30 "modems") in an area... and 31 people phone up, you are going to answer the 31st call via standard PSTN tech?
    <snip>

If Esat isnt going to match that, thats a MAJOR difference.
    Too right it is. If UTV are doing this, resulting in very little chance of hours of engaged tones, it gives the service a reliability that would certainly be a deciding factor for me.

As DeV will eventually say, Esat, are you out there reading this?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

aye Sceptre. Gosh you could almost say ... we *like* competition!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I dont its scary ..........imagen a world with out eircom ..............Flat rate internet FAST BROADBAND! :eek:

and and and....................cheap price,s

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh scary

• Advertisement

I'd honestly very much like to hear from someone from Esat to explain how its going to work over there....

Personally I dont like FRIACO but if its the best on offer we should have the means to decide between providers on an informed basis.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well Scott pointed out that they could only do this cos of the CPS or else the customer would get charged.

This would lead me to believe that Esat would have to go another route. ie with contention ratios.

or am i mistaken?

I'd very much like to hear what the story is with Esat... they also provide telephony so maybe we are jumping to conclusions. I'd welcome a statement from an official Esat rep.

If anyone in Esat is reading this can they bring it to someones attention in there? It might be a good way to start to interact with this community, openly.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Where is Aggie when she is needed in here to answer one simple question. ?????

IOL had a ratio of 20:1 cust/modems at one point. That was for both Free (used in past 2 months) and Paid customers and before the introduction of SNL. They rarely got busies either but as the Free ones dialled into geograpic numbers there could be the odd engaged tone.

I've lost track since then.

M

Well I have Bill Murphy's email address so I might just drop him a line. :)

Lets see if anyone actually gives us an answer here first. I'd welcome some transparent and open communication.

DeV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by DeVore

Lets see if anyone actually gives us an answer here first. I'd welcome some transparent and open communication.
    DeV

WOOAAAH! bloody hell, was that a pig that just flew past my 2 floor office window??!!?!
    nope, just another fat pigeon.
    oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'd very much like to hear what the story is with Esat... they also provide telephony so maybe we are jumping to conclusions.

I realise Esat also do telephony but they dont force you to take it unlike UTVip. Wouldnt this mean that when you dial into their network and they rerouted your call that Eircom would send you the bill (instead of sending UTVip the bill and they then transferring it onto you, or not in this case)

Or am i totally wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I'd imagine it means that they won't do any additional routing - if all your local FRIACO ports are full, then you get a busy signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Oftel have provided a template to sort this out in the longer term,
    See Here where they formulated it.

M

Advertisement