Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials

Options
  • 25-06-2003 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Im just wondering am i one of the only few who read "his dark materials" trilogy by philip pullman, its quite a kick ass read, k just wondering if any1 else read the books, and i recommend dem, der kinda childish but hey its good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vlad_Tepes

I didn't like them very much...Maybe I read them to close after Harry Potter..Don't know..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

another recent thread about philip pullman
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101478

i just finished the trilogy this morning, absaloutely farking amazing imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

Really like them. Read them twice now but sometimes they get a bit confusing. The sally lockhart series is slighly better i think and they're a bit more advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FirA_Serjio

nah, i think harry potters good, but i think hiw dark materials is still better, i spose the harry poter films made it worse and made it feel all childish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I read them a few years ago and at the time thought they were pretty great although, at this stage I can barely remember any of the details of the story :(

Dregin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

YAY
    other ppl besides me that actually read the books
    i thought they were excellent (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I read the series after buying the first one for my sister and thought that they were absolutely brilliant.

There's now a new one out called "Lyra's Oxford", which is set after the end of the Dark Materials Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I loved the books, though I was worried halfway through The Amber Spyglass that it was all sprawling out of control. He brings it all together at the end, but Northern Lights is still the best of the trilogy IMHO. The end of it is gut-wrenching.

As well as the new book, there's a theatrical adaptation of His Dark Materials starting in the National Theatre in London in December, and apparently Tom Stoppard's written a film script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Has anyone read Lyra's Oxford yet? I'm dying to read it- haven't had time yet- does it live up to the standards of the trilogy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have got it on my christmas list, so hopefully I will be reading it on christmas night, that or sitting around getting twisted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, it looks class on amazon

Lyra's Oxford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Does anybody know what it is about?
    And is it on sale in Ireland yet? :(

gawd, so sad at the end, i dont what it to end like that...
    *SNIFF*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i read northern lights when it first came out when i was about 10 or summat. i loved it at the time, thought it was just the best thing ever!!!!!
    didn't realise there were sequals til about 3/4 years ago.
    loved them too.
    deffinately one of the best trilogies/ books i've ever read.
    i would (and have) recommend it.

dunno what Lyra's Oxford will be like though. after 3 books it might be hard to keep it fresh and exciting, then again, it is Pullman and he is fairly great.

i enjoyed the sally lockhart book too, have only read the first one (and it was years ago) must check them out again.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Very good trilogy. Loved all the various characters though the third book sagged a bit. Quite better than the usual stuff in the same genre though.

Advertisement