Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Impossible?

Options
  • 25-06-2003 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I have tried and used all my knowledge to OC my p4. Heres what i have. I bought the stuff from komkplett so i know exactly what i got.

Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz Boxed PC533 Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood"
    DDR-DIMM PC2100 512MB DDR CL2.5 Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC266mhz)
    Abit IT7 MAX Mainboard S478/DDR/533mhz I845E, ATA/133, ATX, Raid, LAN, USB2.0

I also have pics of my bios.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

on the cpu operating speed like u have highlighted u can cycle thro that and set it to user define that will open up all the options below.

never go over 1.65v to the cpu u should get around 2.9-3.1 gigs out of the cpu.

u can also set the ram speeds to user define and tighten them a bit cas2/5/2/2, up to voltage to 2.7-2.8 as when u clock the cpu ull be clockin the ram

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I have already tried that but it always says 2.5 :( I upped the ram voltage and all! /me is sad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

hehe, my Overclocked Athlon 1800 would most likely be even faster than the cpu you bought :D
    Anyway i can not imagine that you should not be able to overclock on a abit board, so the answer must be to go google!ww)

I just found out that my processor is OEM!! How gay! Is there anyway to oc this? If not its a new p4 for me... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea my Xp1800 is prob runnin faster 2 (sorry 2 rub it in) . The abit board you have has got excellent overclocking reviews - dont think thats the prob.

OEM processor jsut means you dont get a fan with it , AFAIK. Have had Xp1800,Xp2500, Xp2100, Duron 1300, all OEM and no probs with overclocking. Are you sure your not missing something in your BIOS. It can be daunting first time, but should be totally possible. U should try an older update of the BIOS (if it works great) , and then re-update to the Newest version. Am pretty much all out of suggestions - hope you figure it out!!

LOKI

• Advertisement

Thanks to those who helped and did not try to tell me their pc was better. I managed to OC and i got my P4 to 3.06 Ghz. :) Although i cannot seem to change my Clock Multiplier.

There was 1 problem though. When i overclocked my onboard AC'97 5.1 Sound would disappear. Any ideas why this would happen?

multiplier is locked on a p4 cannot be changed, the reason u are losing sound is due to the board running at a high fsb

oh and to all the amd boys who reckon those xp 1800s are so quick ill take up a challenge ;) my p4 is only running at 3 gigs but i reckon i might give ye a run (assuming they arent 2.5 ghz monsters lol)

Didnt mean to sound too prowd of my Xp1800 - tiz just a temp processor but still runnin @ just under 2.2ghz. The barton Xp2500 (my old chip) was runnin 2350mhz stable - that was pretty quick.

Thinkin seriously of gettin the 2.4C & IC7 , What process or have u got cyrus ??

at the moment i have the IC7 two sticks of twinmoss pc 3200 and a pentium 4 mobile 1.8.

the p4 mobile defaults to 12*100 in a desktop board so at 12*200 its the same basically as a 2.4c except it doesnt have hyperthreading, everything else is there as its a full northwood core

at the moment its running at 3 gigs but i hope to get higher, even if it doesnt go higher only ccost me e45 on ebay ;)

ill get a proper p4c sometime tho hyper threading might be cool

Thats great thinking, the mobile processors run @ lower temps aswell. That seems like a sweet system, just after getting the Xaser II case, 480w true blue PSU & OCZ PC3200 rev2 ram......
    Has to keep me goin for a while, next step will definetly be IC7 & 2.4 or 2.6C.

AMD just dont seem to have anything 2 match it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement