Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planetside on new machine?

• 25-06-2003 10:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys im gonna instal PS again on new machine as on last machine fps were poor.
    OLd SPEc P4 1.5,384mb,gf4 ti 4200,20 g HD 5200 rpm,Win ME

NEW SPEC P4 2.8gig 800 mhz FSB,512 mb DDr 3200,Geforce 4 ti 4200 8X AGP,WIN XP,80gig HD 7200 rpm.
    Will i see a big difference in PS?
    Battlefield and Desert Combat are running at 100 + FPS now with all gfx settings set to max.It is a massive difference.
    Remember im on isdn and am wondering if poor fps i was getting is tied in with lag?
    Also how big will the auto update be on fresh install ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

You'll be wanting a gig of RAM, and in huge fights you'll still be getting 20 fps with all the graphics settings turned down. :) It's simulation lag (and of course server lag) that gets me these days more than anything.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You wont be seeing any major difference from that new pc. You need to go to 1024mb ram for that to happen. PS uses 700mb of memory to run and if this amount dosent fit into your system ram, it will use your HD as a swap file. It the constant loading and unloading of files on the swapfile (constant HD access) that causes the lag.

Teeth I very rarely notice any fps drop no matter how big the battles are since my upgrade.

That's very strange, in large battles (ie 5000 xp zerg fests) the game drops down to 20 fps and won't budge from there until the battle is over (this happens inside or outside). If I look at the ground or sky it goes up to about 50. If I'm running around the same place with no battle occuring I get the usual 100+.

Teeth.

The only lag Iv noticed during large battle is when it takes a couple of seconds extra to use a inv terminal ( getting into it and selecting the fav layout). Sometimes I see people wrap back and forth and this makes targeting them hard. But my fps seems fine.

Get yourself Fraps and come back with real numbers. ;) A bad lag session on Werner is crazy. Can't reload, can't open doors, can't spawn, can't use terminals, enemies and friends go in and out of invisibility, unable to talk in any local chat channels etc. Fun. Though that's mostly server lag, it hits your FPS at times too which I can't figure out.

Teeth.

• Advertisement

Bugger real numbers. Your HaRdWaRe Sux0rs is all :)

meh comp is teh win!1 It's a 2.4ghz P4 with a gig of RAM and a GF4 4200. Running with the latest stable detonators and directx..

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I've an Alienware PC top spec and ISDN and PS works just fine.
    I even use teamtalk which some people are scared to use..;).
    No lag unless it server related.
    How I check my fps in PS anyway?.
    DemonBaby.

Teeth I went from a p4 2.4 with 256mb to a p4 3.0 800fbs with 1024mb ddr 3200 ram and the difference was unreal for PS. Maybe the lag or low fps your getting is from your chip?

Going from a 2.4-3.0 wouldn't make much of a difference, it would help but not extraordinarily so. Grap this: http://www.fraps.com and run it before you run PS. It works for all games/movies and has a handy setting to auto-minimize on start-up.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Fraps only works on 640x480? Or has it changed recently?

It only records movies at 640x480 iirc, the FPS display works with any res I've tried, even works when playing movies in windows.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Venom
    Teeth I went from a p4 2.4 with 256mb to a p4 3.0 800fbs with 1024mb ddr 3200 ram and the difference was unreal for PS. Maybe the lag or low fps your getting is from your chip?

I'd say the difference there was the ram. Going from 256mb to 764 made a huge difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jaycre

I've never seen this in any of the published PS books, but /stats shows you FPS, Ping and dropped packets.

Advertisement