Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyson involved in hotel brawl...

• 26-06-2003 12:59am
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from the Underground at www.mma.tv

Date: 24-Jun-03 07:07 PM
    29 Total Posts

I found this account of Tyson’s street fight on a boxing site on the internet, (I think it was Boxing Central but I’m not sure). I also read somewhere that the hotel security cameras may have picked up the fight,(it should make for interesting viewing).
    “According to the police, Nestor Alvarez-Ramos, 24, and Samuel Velez, 31, approached Tyson at 5:30 in the morning. When he refused to honor their autograph request, the men began taunting Iron Mike. They also made fun of his facial tattoo. Tyson finally lost it when Veldez motioned like he was carrying a firearm.

Then all hell broke loose.

Tyson attacked Velez. Tyson knocked Velez out with a single punch. In his rage, he picked him back up just so he could knock him down again. Velez's new wife, Thamara Ocasio, 27, also got into the fracas by jumping on Tyson's back. He reportedly threw her off of him with little trouble. Then Alvarez-Ramos picked up a stanchion and swung at Tyson. He smacked the metal bar away and chased after Alvarez-Ramos. He attempted to hide under a desk, but Tyson caught up to him and unleashed his fury.

"There was blood everywhere," said a Marriott employee.

The men were arrested and everyone went to the hospital.

Tyson was released and will not be arraigned on his third degree assault charges until the investigation is done. Alvarez-Ramos and Velez were charged with harassment and disorderly conduct. Alvarez-Ramos was released, but Velez is being held because of an outstanding warrant from a 2 year old drug charge. He will be taken back to Pennsylvania to deal with that situation.

At the hospital Velez received stitches in his mouth. Both he and Alvarez-Ramos were left battered and bruised with knots on their heads

Velez told the police, "It felt as though he hit me with a piece of steel."

It sounds like Tyson was justified in initially defending himself but will probably get in some trouble for using excessive force. The guys that he beat up don’t exactly sound like upstanding citizens themselves and as far as I’m concerned probably needed a good ass kicking for being assholes. I read somewhere else that Tyson tried to walk away and they followed him and continued to harass him until they at last threatened him, which finally set him off. When it’s all said and done Tyson will most likely end up settling with them out of court and will have to pay them off to get rid of them. Over the years I’ve had people ask me why they sometimes see professional fighters with bodyguards, well situations like this is why.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i heard about this over the weekend but i didn't know the 2 morons were scumbags. imagine taunting Mike Tyson :eek:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i heard about this over the weekend but i didn't know the 2 morons were scumbags. imagine taunting Mike Tyson :eek:
    I heard that they had a good bit of drink in them at the time. But still, that is just asking for a beating beyond all knowledge.

Advertisement