Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card.

Options
  • 26-06-2003 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Ok, I don't know if this is the right place.
    I have pre-approved for a credit card from the bank which I bank with. I have a loan previous to this and pay it off successfully, indeed I have never missed any payments on anything, ESB, rent standing orders etc, all with the bank. The thing i'm asking is which is the best credit card company in your opinion, and generally how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

steer clear of MBNA - although you are good with paying back, if you miss a monthly payment they stiff you for approx 25eur everytime (cashed in Paddy Power account, which cleared my balance, but didn't count as a payment, so they lashed me for 20quid even though I didn't owe them anything) and they are tossers to deal with also. Then, they still demanded a monthly payment for 6 months before they'd remove the block on my card, even though I didn't have a balance on it. Fools, and I told her so!

I went with them originally cos they had no charges to operate the account, but since, all the other banks have followed suit, and no operating charges apply (defo with AIB anyway) apart from McGreedy's criminal 40eur p.a. charge, unavoidable on any card.

But MBNA gave me a far more generous limit than AIB (4k vs 250eur!), so I had to begrudginly tear up the AIB card and now i'm still stuck with MBNA

Whahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Zinc's got the lowest interest rate. If you spend over a certain amount (think it's €5000) they give you the government levy back. Mind you, that's a hell of a lot less than the interest they'll charge you if you don't pay it all off each month:rolleyes:

I got the Ryanair MBNA for the free flight but you can use it on limited flights (under €100) and you have to keep calling a premium number to check availability. After that you get one free flight for every 10 you book with the card. Also, customer service isn't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How it works:

They approve you for a certain amount of credit. In the first month you make one (for example) purchase. You get a bill. You pay the bill. You buy more the next month, pay the bill and so on. Then Christmas hits, you splash out. You can't afford to pay the bill in January. They charge you interest. In a panic, you live a miserly life until February's pay cheque and you clear the bill.

Life goes on until one day you loose your job. You can't afford to pay off that month's bill. They then own you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Originally posted by mollser
    steer clear of MBNA - although you are good with paying back, if you miss a monthly payment they stiff you for approx 25eur everytime (cashed in Paddy Power account, which cleared my balance, but didn't count as a payment, so they lashed me for 20quid even though I didn't owe them anything) and they are tossers to deal with also. Then, they still demanded a monthly payment for 6 months before they'd remove the block on my card, even though I didn't have a balance on it. Fools, and I told her so!

I went with them originally cos they had no charges to operate the account, but since, all the other banks have followed suit, and no operating charges apply (defo with AIB anyway) apart from McGreedy's criminal 40eur p.a. charge, unavoidable on any card.

But MBNA gave me a far more generous limit than AIB (4k vs 250eur!), so I had to begrudginly tear up the AIB card and now i'm still stuck with MBNA

Whahhh
    i got rid of mbna(no charge for closing account aib charging 40 euro to close)so now with aib,always found mbna good you can setup a direct debit easily for the minimum payment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Went with MBNA , signed up online and got my card two days later with 3k limit,haven't had any issues with them so far.
    I intend clearing my account with them next week and cancelling my account (so as to have one less monthly payment) does anyone know if this is an easy enough process and what does it involve?

Advertisement