Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 problems...

• 26-06-2003 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

whenever I cold start my machine the light on my my 'philips cdrwdvd3210' drive flashes purple (both blue and red leds simultaniously) erratically and is not detected in the bios IDE list. for it to work I must power on the PC and press the restart button after a second. there is not a flash upgrade for it on the phillips site I can find (phillips are crap for software support). I was wondering if there was a delay in bios settings that leaves a second before searching for ide devices.

also if I leave my machine on for about 10 hours or more it makes a clicking sound, followed by a beep, I'm sure it's not a cooling issue as the temps are acceptable and I've gotten a new cooler (globalwin tak58) and powersupply since.

any thoughts on these items would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Sounds odd.. Do you know the name and number of your motherboard.. when the bios loads it should appear down the bottom left of the screen... search for it and u should find a flash for it. Aslo in the bios of most mobo's u should fing a delay on IDE devices.. it sounds like the drive has not initialised and that explains why you restart and it then works..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

This may sound a silly suggestion but have u tried a new IDE cable for the CDRW.

Cheers
    g:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

i had a kinda simular prob.... my dvd could not read dvd's or cd's so i swaped a few cables around and hey presto..... bob's u'r auntie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I have to agree with the above - try with a different cable. I've spent hours trying to fix HD/CD issues only to find that it was the bloody cable!

Advertisement