Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get downloading before its gone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Heavy handed scare tactics ..... anyone know if you could be liable in Ireland for sharing out a load of files? ... is there any way for the music/film industry to get the irish ISP's to hand over information about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Suprised it took them so long to to crack down after napster.
    I could download the entire stock of a hmv store from kazaa at the mo if i wanted to.(Might take years over 56k tho :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Record industry to sue downloaders" is a very misleading headline. They are going after the sharers, not the downloaders.

Problem is, a lot of lawsuits will probably scare the sharers into stopping...... I wonder if its only America (or any other country with uncapped broadband)?

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I don't think they'd have a problem getting irish ISP's to cooperate. They'd just have to threaten them with legal action. Sony sent one letter to DCU about the number of kazaa users on campus and they pissed themselves and started a big clampdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by TmB
    "Record industry to sue downloaders" is a very misleading headline. They are going after the sharers, not the downloaders.

Problem is, a lot of lawsuits will probably scare the sharers into stopping...... I wonder if its only America (or any other country with uncapped broadband)?

- Dave.

I think you may have taken it up wrong......you do realise it's called file sharing for a reason. If you're downloading, then somebody is uploading, more than likely. So we're all sharers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good point!

*slaps forehead* :D

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by patch69
    I think you may have taken it up wrong......you do realise it's called file sharing for a reason. If you're downloading, then somebody is uploading, more than likely. So we're all sharers. :D

Well you can turn off sharing like I do cos I'm only on crappy ISDN :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think they are just trying it as a scare tatic they will go after the ppl with a few 100gigs shared with 10mbit lines (work places,collages,general public who have notting better to do with there 5 or 10mbit line) they will hope if the treathen a few ppl then the others will get scared (they couldnt possible prosute every person who has ever downloaded somthing illigal, you would be dead before it even came to court) i dont think this will stop people sharing files. the only thing that will reduce file sharing is putting all songs on the net on a fast server encoded in very high bit rate(and i mean all) then selling them at $0.10 or $0.20 per song they would make even more money. the internet is the biggest consumer medium in the world with over 1billion people connected ,the vast majority of which have a fairly large expendiable income (in world terms).if a song selling at $0.20 sold 50 million copys then that would make revenues of $10 million just for one song with very little cost (very little graphics,no cds to be pressed,no shipping costs ect) take a leaf from the low cost airlines books "pile'em high and sell'em cheap" they will make even more money. this not only stands for the record industry but also for the film industry. if i could get high quality films (800-1000megs in size) on a high speed server for a euro or 2 i could download them over night (i could get 3-4mbps at night time) when true broadband is made avalible worldwide then fillm earnings will be measured in billions not in millions. as soon as the film and record industrys cop this i can see people having easy access to 10+mbps connections at very low cost (as they will be making enough money on content so they dont have to charge as much for high speed lines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

only problem with that is that you need a new form of payment that does not rely on credit card as the majority of music downloaders would be teenagers who have no access to a credit card but if they was a way of going to your bank and setting up an account for internet shopping then it would kick off.

basicly the idea would be you top up your internet account from you banking account with the amount you want and then you can use it like a credit card but you control the amount that is on it so that if you don't have money on the card it can't be used as it would work on the money that you have, not on the moeny that a bank will lend you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by patch69
    Like Dave said, good point:D

However, a number of studies[1] by reputable organisations seem to indicate that as a general rule, 5% of users are sharing 95% of the files on these networks (they were written from the POV of "95% of file downloaders are mean bastards"). So I suspect there may be a seachange in the RIAA attitude - attack the downloaders and make them afraid as they don't seem to be making much headway against the people who are doing much of the sharing.

[1]I don't have a link to these studies handy, though I've downloaded quite a few. I could go poking around but I'm feeling lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

irishguy and trebor have good ideas, i particularly like the bank account idea, loads of people would use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

oh no, here we go again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by TacT
    oh no, here we go again...

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

:eek: lol then something like napigator will come out but "kazigator?!?!" :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

when and if kazaa is shut down, ther'll be another better faster network in less than six months, i read in a magazine that napster is rising from the ashes. The trick is that the network doesn't get too popular

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kazaa is like so last year anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

The only effect this will have is to change the tools used.

e.g. Freenet a completely anonymous encrypted network (it's to all intents and purposes impossible (odds are it would take months if not years) to find out who posted/downloaded anything)

Also encrypted VPNs will be quite handy for this kind of thing too, even more so in that people who try to poison the network can be removed from it.

What the RIAA need to do (but seem too stupid to realise) is to drastically rethink their strategy w.r.t. selling music and the Internet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Kazaa is like so last year anyway...

So what is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

google for "filesharing" for a few minutes. You'll come across some stuff you never heard of before.
    Download the clients and try em out.

Advertisement