Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cross over cable

Options
  • 26-06-2003 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

hi all
    does any body know where i can get bout 30 foot of cross over cable and so that it wont cost me an arm and a leg. as i going to network my laptop and my desktop. and cant afford hub or switch at the mo

thanks all
    tommycahir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dony know about Crossover.. but B&Q would have cables. Mapplin also and they could make it up for you.. or do it yourself... not too hard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get a short crossover cable and a normal long cable and a joiner.

(Radionics do joiners for a few euro's and marx computers do the crossover cables)

CAT5 should not have more than 1/2" untwisted (for noise immunity) - 4 wires are used for data - Green White Orange (must be a menumonic to remember that :) ) - for a crossover cable it's green to orange and green/white to orange/white. if you are good at soldering. try to maintain the number of twists per inch also each wire about an inch longer than the next so joints stagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

If you want to see how to make a crossover cable in a less confusing way go here

You should try to make it yourself, its not that difficult

Bio

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I got a 25 metre crossover cable in Maplins in Blanchardstown Centre for €25 last week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

25m crossover €12 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

25m for €6

Advertisement