Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Prices, Broadband, Wireless etc

Options
  • 26-06-2003 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Ok lads,

we are all fairly eduacted industry commentators ...
    so what will be the next big thing ?

What will be the next big thing ? 32 votes

Price reduction in the cost of ISDN.
    0% 0 votes
    Tax breaks for wireless/satellite internet
    3% 1 vote
    Cut in the price of wholesale DSL
    0% 0 votes
    Wide spread rollout of wireless technology
    12% 4 votes
    Resurrection of cable internet
    71% 23 votes
    None of the above (post a message)
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Price reduction in the cost of ISDN

I don't really see much in this given how much eircom are using it as a crutch to milk money. With the network the way it is eircom are flogging ISDN like it's going out of fashion (excuse the irony in that analogy) and quite likely to continue with an inflated price. It may come down some, but I don't see anything spectactular happening.

Tax breaks for wireless/satellite internet

With the current government? Not on your life!

Cut in the price of wholesale DSL

I see this as being more likely than cut-price ISDN, but again eircom so far would seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet they always sing off. Maybe not this year, but in a couple of years at any rate. I dunno.

Wide spread rollout of wireless technology

This gets my vote for most likely. The wireless operators aren't blocked by eircom. They do have other issues to contend with, but have more flexibility imho.

Resurrection of cable internet

/me snorts
    But seriously, I wouldn't rule it out as impossible but I'm not holding my breath either. At a snails pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What he ^^ said.

I remain unconvinced of wireless' (or, specifically, tech using the 2.4ghz band) scalability to serve even a fraction of people well that a good dsl network could, but it seems like the only option for the next while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Next big thing that should happen to move us forward? (cut price wholesale or LLU)

or

next big thing most likely to happen? (none of the above)

[edit]
    next big thing should be proper competition via comreg actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

DSL Price cut.

THe Wireless operators have not shown much sign of expanding exponientially up to this point and without some canny government aid (which i doubt is forthcoming) probably wont expand much beyond small regional operations.

Comreg are at least trying to lower LLU restrictions and a lower DSL wholesale rate would be the easiest and most likely Next Big Thing.

Lemming hit the nail on the head for the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Dustaz

THe Wireless operators have not shown much sign of expanding exponientially up to this point and without some canny government aid (which i doubt is forthcoming) probably wont expand much beyond small regional operations.

What about the likes of IrishWAN ? If wireless operators won't do it, people like you an me will. For me, living 40 miles from Dublin and unable to get broadband, wireless is the only option.

/me looks at my shiny new wirless gear that has just arrived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Absolutly Tom, but Irish/Dublin/Corkwan cannot drive takeup in the same way that Eircom can.

Irishwan is brilliant but its too 'diy' to be mass market, which i assume is what the thread is about.

Originally posted by Dustaz

Irishwan is brilliant but its too 'diy' to be mass market, which i assume is what the thread is about.

Agreed, but if wireless companies see how small community based wireless networks grow, they should figure out a way to make money out of it.

The diy aspect could (hopefully) set the seeds for a bigger adoption of commercial wireless networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I personally think that €ircon are stepping on too many toes by not backing down or giving any ground on ANYTHING ... I think/hope that the gubmint should start throwing some serious cash at finishing off that damn fiber ring and setting up freely accessible points (i.e. not having to pay a company incredible amounts to have someone unlock a door and stand beside you while you install equipment ... i.e. like telephone exchanges) from it so that small co-ops and even larger wireless companys can buy small amounts of bandwidth .... cheaply

/wakes up from nice dream ..... aaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Agreed, but if wireless companies see how small community based wireless networks grow, they should figure out a way to make money out of it.

The diy aspect could (hopefully) set the seeds for a bigger adoption of commercial wireless networks.

I know this is not an easy question,[edit] not to mention offtopic [/edit] but how fast are small community based wireless networks growing? ... how many peeps are in Corkwan? 10?, 100?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

as much as I dislike NTL after some dodgy dealings with them I am confident that their Broadband rollout is a serious issue with them again since they found the cheaper way of implementing it. Cable broadband should stimulate growth in ADSL and hopefully bring down prices. I still think that for Dublin anyway that NTL could hold the key for cheap broadband.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I know this is not an easy question,[edit] not to mention offtopic [/edit] but how fast are small community based wireless networks growing? ... how many peeps are in Corkwan? 10?, 100?

I wouldn't have a clue - but I know from my own personal experience that I mentioned it to one person and now I have five interested locally. And I would consider these people non-techy.

Advertisement