Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C Generals issues - need help.....

Options
  • 26-06-2003 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hello again

has anyone had problems with this game along these lines, and found out how to fix em:

installed c&c on a freinds machine (high spec amd with 64mb card) and the colours dont work properly. on the main screen, the ground underneath the usa troops is black, and so is the surround on the screen. in the game, the whole bloomin thing is a mess. any help on this one?

also, have installed on my laptop and the colours are transparent in places - i can guess this may be because the laptop cant handle the game, but it is a p4 with 512mb and a 32mb card so it should be ok... right?

please help on either or both of these and you will make a gamer very happy indeed:D

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a pretty heavy game on any system. What are the exact specs of the machines it runs?
    I have it running on a 1.6GHz AMD, 512MB ram, 64MB GeForce4, and at times the system shows signs of straining.
    So just check there's nothing else running in the background.

Also fiddle around with the GFX settings in-game. There may be something awry.

If both were installed from the same CD, it's possible the CD is a bad apple. So if all else fails, return it to the retailer, and get a new one.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Try different drivers?

Runs without a problem on mine but id be surprised if it didnt.
    1.85ghz amd with a 9700pro and 512mb ram

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a P4 1.7 with a 64m Gforce 3 TI200 only 256 ram and it runs fine sometimes it seems strained, but i can't play the GLA missions, maybe some CDs are dodgy, keep meaning to bring it back to game , but i cant be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have encounterd the same problem with the ground underneath the usa troops being black,when the game was installing it had a hard time reading the textures.dat file,prob due to the cd drive,cause iv installed it on two other pc's and it was fine.Iv also found that it wont run with an old Hercules 64MB kyro 2 card.Is that the same one as your friends?

Good Luck.
    CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭neohoki

i have problems with mine even though i have a 2.53ghz 512mb ram machine.
    But i think your cards are actually incompatible with the game.
    If you look at the documentation you will find there is certain bugs with your card the only solution being to get a new card :( oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭feldy

Originally posted by Combatcow
    it wont run with an old Hercules 64MB kyro 2 card.Is that the same one as your friends?

Good Luck.
    CombatCow

i do believe it is. new card then?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

remember there are 3 or 4 patches for this game so install them first, just in case

tried the patches. made no difference...... must be the card, although the weird thing is that the same game works in a different pc with the same card.....

i dont get it. pc's suck

well if it worked in another Pc with same card...it aint the card.
    Try using the same drivers for the card as are being used in the PC that works. Would you mind giving us specs of other machine (including OS etc)
    Also make sure you got the correct DirectX etc.

Im curious now :)

will have to get the details from my mate. he is a little slow off the mark when it comes to email, so it could take a while, and i will post as soon as i get it.

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Try different drivers?

Runs without a problem on mine but id be surprised if it didnt.
    1.85ghz amd with a 9700pro and 512mb ram

1.3ghz AMD Athlon with GeForce2 MX/MX 400 and just under 800Ram... Unless I use the Medium / Low Settings on the 800/600 resolution (My normal res being 1024/768) It'll give me a great deal of hassle... Thats the unpatched version, mind...

Thats not too surprising ROPEDRINK.
    Your CPU is probably struggling, as is your gfx card i imagine.
    Nice whack of ram tho :)

is it really that much of a dog??

Its still ok (cpu) as long as you dont mind giving up some of the details. The Geforce2MX is very dated. Infact any MX really is not worth having imo.

If the gfx card was upgraded you could probably stretch the life of the PC out a bit.
    Minimal requiremtns for CnC is 1ghz iirc, and recomended is closer the 2ghz mark. (or was that just BS? )

I'll check the min requirements when i get home infact :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All I know is that the difference between the min and the rec spec on the back of the game was huge, a joke really

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ScArY_Cheese

c&c Generals.... ffs.. that game has too many bugs to handle.. they brought out patches, but i think the game designers have realised what an actual complete mess the game is so they have given up!

i have a p4 @2.53ghz, 512md DDr and a GeForce4 ti4200(64mb ddr memory)... and at times my game does strain aswell... especialy when u got like a huuuuuuge map with 8 AI players... its alot for the pc to handle
    and once the Ai's have gotten up to the level of having maybe a battle lab or somthing the game starts jumping

its bloody annoying.. you would tihnk with my fukking specs u could get away with just about anything in the game... but nope..

i blame EA

anyways, just muddle around with you gfx drivers, get new ones, roll back to old ones... check ur optical cable is connected properly to ur monitor (this was a problem for me before on half life, lol), if this doesnt work, contact the EA site saying u have a faulty game and they will replace... problem solved- i hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The problem I'm getting with C&C Generals, is that it runs fine for maybe 10minutes up to 2hours, then all hell breaks loose. My PC is straining at times to run the game, period, but it crashes when there is a lot of gameplay activity on the screen.

AAgggghhh. There's nothing worse than playing a 2hour Skirmish and then it decides to die.

i think it's my nVidia software dribble, and running XP.

Give me 2000professional anyday of the week.:(

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Its still ok (cpu) as long as you dont mind giving up some of the details. The Geforce2MX is very dated. Infact any MX really is not worth having imo.

Try putting up with a VooDoo3 2000 for four years and tell me about dated GFX Cards :)

I would never have changed it only for the fact I got a new PC, and believe me this dated GeForce is heaven after having used the same ancient card for so long :D
    You learn to appreciate the little steps forward!

C&CGen runs super fast with the min settings, but any form of action (Especially the messy nukes / anthrax / Scud Storms etc) cause drastic slowdown and choppiness at best...

Still, I still play it regularly and seeing as it's GalwayLAN6 tommorow, I'll have to pray that this pile of plop PC can keep up with the rest :D

Scary_Cheese: Theres somethign wrong with your system if it can't handle it with those specs tbh.... as i said, i only got an
    amd xp2000 (@1.85), 512mb pc2100 and a 9700pro.

I have 8 player brutal AI with no problems whatsoever. Something aint right there m8.

It is a very buggy game. I play it online a fair bit and 33% of the games get a mismatch at the very end. (something to do with destroying the last players command centre instead of capturing it). This is just one of many bugs. Dont look like they plan to patch it anymore tho :(

Advertisement