Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete members??

Options
  • 26-06-2003 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I was just looking for somebody in members and it seems like half of the listed users have no posts. Some have been there ages and they obvioulsy don't use their accounts anymore.
    Has it ever been considered to delete accounts that are deemed to be dead after a certain amount of time? This would speed up looking for a member and possibly free up some good usernames.
    Sorry if this has been suggested or is already being done.
    Kalina
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can people who have registered, but not posted in a year be deleted or have their name changed to their ID number? What becomes of deleted threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's possible that some people register and then just lurk, use the pm system, vote in polls, use the chat system or play the games, but don't actually post.

So it's not that easy to get rid of accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

can people request there account be deleted? via pm to an admin or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

It seems that a lot of people have registered (out of curiousity possibly) but never actually posted. When more than a year has elapsed and a post count is still at zero it's fairly safe to say that the account is dead. The user has probably long since forgotten their password anyway or even that the account exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Like I've said, there's more to boards than just posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The amp test for example.

From past discussions I think the memory used up is worth the hassle of removing all the accounts and deciding which ones are to go. Also you cant delete some users as what will happen to their posts? And what if they use th pm system and irc with that name?

I think you should be able to ask an admin to have an un-posted account deleted if you want to use the name or if you can use the account. The admin can try and email/pm etc. to see if thats ok.

I've always wanted to called 'Devoreisgay6'

And anyway, they're no slydice threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sangre
    Also you cant delete some users as what will happen to their posts?
    You only delete those without posts, many are obviously errors as people mis-spelled their sign-up name.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*sigh*

Ok, once again for the cheap seats :)

1. We wont delete a user who has posts. Full Stop.

2. We will delete a user who has never signed in and has 0 posts if someone wants the name.

3. We are considering purging accounts that have 0 posts, have never signed in and are more then X months old.

4. Some people dont manage to understand that darth@theempire.com is no good as an email address cos we mail the password to it. EVEN THOUGH THE SIGN UP PROCESS SAYS THAT IN BIG RED CAPS.

5. Some people (and this is our biggest single support mail, probably bigger then all other support mails combined) dont understand that to authenticate their they have to click the link that says "YOU NEED TO CLICK THIS TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR ACCOUNT".
    Sometimes we tell them, sometimes we view that as a kinda non-muppet initial screening process.

We get 20 sign ups a day on average and about 8 of them fail to make it through the registration process on average.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A quick check there and there is about 5000 users with 0 posts.

We'll probably clean the ones of those who have never logged in soon.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by DeVore
    We get 20 sign ups a day on average and about 8 of them fail to make it through the registration process on average.

DeV.

LOL, and I thought only in America...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by DeVore
    A quick check there and there is about 5000 users with 0 posts.

We'll probably clean the ones of those who have never logged in soon.

DeV.

Sorry to cause all that extra explaining, I neglected to check previous threads of the same topic. :o
    Thanks.

Advertisement