Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone problem

• 26-06-2003 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Had a problem with vodafone recently regarding a cockup at their end with an online order for a phone.

This is the gist of what happened:

1. Ordered phone at end of may from website. Received confirmation via email and sms. Credit card debited with 249Eur same day.

2. Waited for several days and nothing. Called "customer care" was told order would be with me soon. Fair enough. Allowed another few days and called back.

3. When I called back, vodafone claimed to have no record of my order despite having debited my credit card. Insisted on a refund. Was told that that was not possible as they couldnt verify that I had paid!!! They wanted a copy of credit card statement before issuing a refund. Not good enough. They were rude and refused to pass my call to the manager.

4. Rang credit card company to obtain copy of statement and then I wrote a stinking letter of complaint.

5. Two days later couurier arrives with phone!!!!!!!! Asked him to return it as I had already had to purchase a new phone locally as they had claimed the order was "lost".

6. Eventually recieved response from vodafone saying sorry and credited back the money to Credit card and gave a goodwill gesture of 30eur.

The letter didnt address the issues I rose in the letter and just put it down to human error. They just returned the bare 249eur. I had asked for interest and compensation for out of pocket losses and hassle i.e. time wasted on phone and having to travel to shop to purchase new phone.

I really feel disgusted at vodafone and I have lost all confidence in them.

Would I be within my rights to write back saying that I have lost all confidence and request the unlocking code for the handset. The leetr they sent said with out predijuice (sic). what does this mean?

What do you guys think?

James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know how ya feel, I work for Vodafone Tech Support and have had a few ear fulls from customers with bad experiences. This service is provided by an outside company called **** (don't wanna be sued or banned), as far as I know they provide similar services to other big telecoms operators in Ireland too....

When the online service was launched, Vodafone did release numerous internal memos stating that they were doing everything to ensure this service was reliable. Obviously their efforts have not paid off. Even if the third party company are getting it wrong, Vodafone should be doing everything to avoid you having to submit posts like this.

I would suggest calling up and telling them you are not happy with customer service and want a two month rental credit. The rep your talking to (assuming he/she is not a complete monkey) should sort ya out without you wanting to strangle your self with a telephone cord. Tell me how ya get on by PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

Without prejudice means that you cannot use the letter in any legal proceedings that you may bring against Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I know how ya feel, I work for Vodafone Tech Support and have had a few ear fulls from customers with bad experiences. This service is provided by an outside company called **** (don't wanna be sued or banned), as far as I know they provide similar services to other big telecoms operators in Ireland too....

When the online service was launched, Vodafone did release numerous internal memos stating that they were doing everything to ensure this service was reliable. Obviously their efforts have not paid off. Even if the third party company are getting it wrong, Vodafone should be doing everything to avoid you having to submit posts like this.

I would suggest calling up and telling them you are not happy with customer service and want a two month rental credit. The rep your talking to (assuming he/she is not a complete monkey) should sort ya out without you wanting to strangle your self with a telephone cord. Tell me how ya get on by PM.

But all I want is for them to release my phone by giving me the unlocking code. Dont want to use their service again. Can they be made to give in?

Originally posted by DaveK
    Without prejudice means that you cannot use the letter in any legal proceedings that you may bring against Vodafone.

But can they use the letter?

If they make a goodwill jesture can I still sue them. Credit on my phone doesnt make good finanical loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

how much did you loose?

• Advertisement

About 50eur

Having to travel to buy phone, general hassle, time wasted on phone etc. Its a reasonable amount.

BTW Has anyone ever sued them?

A few people have no doubt tried, their T&C's cover them for most things, probably everything it you tested them :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

Because 'without prejudice' was written on the letter, Vodafone is saying that it is offering you a €30 refund, but is not assuming any blame for what happened, so you cannot use the letter in court to prove that Vodafone admitted guilt. Even though it made this gesture, you can still sue Vodafone, although the T&C may prevent you from winning. If you were to sue and win, but be awarded less than the €30, you would be liable for Vodafone's legal costs. Given the amount of money involved, bringing lawyers in seems unnecessarily risky, in my opinion. And speaking of my opinion, I do not work in the legal profession, so you should be aware that the above is simply my interpretation of Irish law; that is, if you are seriously considering suing Vodafone, make sure that you get some proper legal advice rather than relying on what someone in a wireless forum told you.:)

As I said earlier:

But all I want is for them to release my phone by giving me the unlocking code. Dont want to use their service again. Can they be made to give in?

Would they give the code?

If you were to sue and win, but be awarded less than the €30, you would be liable for Vodafone's legal costs.

In the small claims court each side pays its own costs regardless of who wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Never mind getting the unlock code, tell o2 you want to take your number to their network and see what goodies you are offerered.

Give them some indication of your monthly top-ups/usage or your bill and see what you can do, with o2.

Emmo

Just ring Vodafone and they will tell you what the situation is with the NAC code to unblock your handset..

I wouldnt move to O2 either, the new Meteor offers are bloody deadly!!! Very very tempted to move to them, and I work for Vodafone :confused:

Mind you I do still think Vodafone's service is still ahead of the competition. My opinion just!

Advertisement