Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paypal

Options
  • 26-06-2003 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

receiving money from paypal requires a bank account. but while setting mine up in paypal it asks the following questions:

Bank Name:

Routing Number:

the bank name is aib but what is the routing number? is it the equilivent to a sort code ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Paypal doesn't pay into Irish bank accounts :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I had the same problem, so I called paypal, and they let me use a credit card to do it instead.

now when I use paypal, it just comes straight off my credit card without me having to mess with bank details, and so far I've not had any problems with it at all.

having said that, I'm sure if you called them (number is on the website somewhere) they'd talk you through setting up your irish bank details (maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

There's a lot of bad stories about paypal ripping people off - www.paypalsucks.com

Anyone here got any horror stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've been using it for a year and a half with no problems. I find it very usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

This has been discussed again, and agian, again on this forum.

If you've only got an Irish bank account, then you are only going to be able to lodge money to your paypal account.

You will not be able to withdraw money to an Irish bank account.

You are however allowed to use your credit card to transfer money to your paypal account, or pay for purchases directly through paypal and they will be charged to your credit card.

Personally, I've overcome this problem by setting up a US bank account, so I can withdraw money to that, and then transfer it back to my irish bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

What's involved in setting up a US account? Was there much hassle? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Except that to trabser money from an irish to US bank acount, or vica versa, costs 20 yoyo a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

If you've only got an Irish bank account, then you are only going to be able to lodge money to your paypal account.

Could you tell me how do you do this (without using a credit card) ? I can't figure it out.

a) get someone to send you money from paypal

b) you need a credit card

don't know of any other ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Credit Card required, as far as I know.

If you could enter Irish bank account details, then it would stand to reason that you could transfer money into it.

They're adding new countries every couple of months, so hopefully they'll hit Ireland soon.

- Dave.

http://www.paypaldev.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2344

Early 2004 they claim, oh well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I'm delighted I found this thread because I started using Paypal for my online business in the early days, before I had decided it was something I could build into a business.

Now that I have built it into one and since formed a company I want to withdraw my paypal funds to our business banking account here (my partner is in the US).

So, is it best to setup a US bank account like a member above specified? Is there any advantage to me having a partner in the USA? Could she withdraw the funds to her personal account and send a check to our business account here? Wouldn't that spell trouble for our accounts? Is there some kind of a 'workaround' we could do?

(disclaimer: I'm terrible at accounts and the financial side of things so I have no idea about these things).

Thanks in advance for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you can afford to wait a little bit (february afaik) ebay & paypal are setting up their european hq in blanchardstown and i would assume that they will be granting irish users all the perks of the US users.

afaik.

Excerpt from an email from paypal (1/1/04)
    PayPal, Inc. is pleased to announce that we are preparing to introduce PayPal (Europe) Ltd., a company incorporated in the United Kingdom, as the service provider for PayPal customers in the European Union.
    This is a positive development that would help us provide our European customers with improved services to satisfy local needs, both online and through our new European Customer Service Centre in Dublin.
    We anticipate that PayPal (Europe) Ltd. will begin operating in February 2004, subject to receiving authorisation from the Financial Services Authority (FSA) in the UK. Please note, no action will be necessary on your part. You will be able to continue using your PayPal account as you do today.

They also say that the transition is at least 45 days away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've been using paypal to send and receive money for over a year and have never had a problem with their service. In fact, they got a reseller to refund me when I was having bother with them (something I ordered never arrived). They've also lowered their charges recently.

You can't put money into your paypal account with a regular current account. You have to use a credit card.

The guy with the US bank account - isn't it cheaper/easier for you to withdraw the money with your american ATM card?!? Also, it looks like you have to pay that bank $100 to join. No thanks :) Most of us have relatives in the UK/N Ireland, just sign up for a bank account with a UK bank, they work just fine with ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

No Irish Banks signed up yet I see.

Location Currency Withdrawal Fee Return Fee
    United States U.S. Dollar Free None
    Austria Euro €1.00 EUR €6.00 EUR
    Belgium Euro €1.00 EUR €6.00 EUR
    Finland Euro €1.00 EUR €6.00 EUR
    France Euro €1.00 EUR €23.00 EUR
    Germany Euro €1.00 EUR €23.00 EUR
    Italy Euro €1.00 EUR €6.00 EUR
    Netherlands Euro €1.00 EUR €23.00 EUR
    Spain Euro €1.00 EUR €6.00 EUR
    Sweden Swedish Krona 7.00 SEK 53.00 SEK
    United Kingdom Sterling £0.25 GBP for £49.99 or less £14.00

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

how the hell do u pay money into a paypal a/c with a credit card. i cant find out anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

assuming the card is already registered with them, its about 2/3 steps into teh "payment" function, i think its the last screen before confirmation, it asks you to choose where the money you're sending will come from; either your existing balance, or one of the credit cards you have registered.

I dunno what happens if you dont have a card registered, but try going through the payment screens and see what it says

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Can anyone confirm that we will be able to use Irish bank accounts in the future when they move to dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As a follow-up, i made a post on the forum 8080 mentions and paypal mailed me back..
    I believe we are still hoping to deliver bank transfers for Ireland in
    the first half of this year. I unfortunately do not have any firmer
    information than this. Much of it is reliant on European regulators
    which make the timing difficult to predict.

Meh..

Advertisement