Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

01.07.03 - what drink are they advertising?

• 26-06-2003 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

I imagine most of the users of boards.ie that are generally outgoing (I must have isolated about 50% of the forum's population there :P) will have noticed those posters advertising some drink with the outline of a bottle - and simply 01.07.03 underneath it.

I'm just curious as to what this is - I'm thinking Vanilla Coke, since its due out soon surely (? btw; anyone know where I can get some in advance... it's gorgeous... but the only place I know that imports it gets it once a month - and sells out in one day, sometimes before I can even get a can).

The reason I'm thinking this is because whilst waiting for a 19a... I couldn't help noticing that exact same bottle outline on a (fairly worn) woman's grocery bag with "Coca Cola" written on the corner of the bag.

Christ - so much thinking about a drink - cryptic ads just grab me I guess!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its Vanilla Coke.
    We've had this in the states for yeaaaaaars

I recently gorged myself on it in Stansted airport.

Not as nice as I remember, but still a welcome change.

Comes in Diet variety, which isn't as sweet and nicer.

if you find a shop that imports english crisps and stuff like that for selling (few of them in Dublin, but no idea on names), they will most likely do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Thanks a lot - first person to totally answer a thread I posted ever I think :).

Just quenched my curiosity too - thank goodness, eh? Those advertisements were beginning to get to me :).

I had some - loved it... no point in looking for imports now really :p I'm busy every day until Monday - and it launches on Wednesday, so I'm set! Hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If you go to Tara or Pearce Station or the top of Grafton St. you usually find reps giving out drinks samples :)

I look forward to Wednesday.

Really? Sweet... I love free stuff :)! I'll be sure to check that out over the weekend if I'm wandering around looking for the vanilla variant of the 'real thing'.

I look forward to it too - roll on Wednesday! (One wonders will it actually launch wednesday, or will some places sell it on tuesday/thursday. Hm.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

You can get cans of Vanilla Coke in McCabes on Shelbourne Road in Ballsbridge. They've been selling it for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

haven't tasted it yet but sounds kind of disgusting (i suppose I've got to try to find out). I'm a bit mistrustful since the "dr. pepper, what's the worst that could happen?" ads - the taste that's what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Boots in liffey valley sell it. My bottle was thrown into a bin while still 3/4 full mind you, sickly sweet :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I havnt seen the ad's yet but it will be v.nice to get a 2Ltr bottle in the supermarket instead of buying 6 bottles at a time in boots :D ,it has definatley taken over from Dr.Pepper for me,drink it very chilled to get the full vanilla taste,sweet.

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I dont know how any living person can drink doctor pepper, i cant stand the stuff makes me sick lmao! :D

Originally posted by Snaga
    Boots in liffey valley sell it. My bottle was thrown into a bin while still 3/4 full mind you, sickly sweet :/

Yay - that's the one! I was told it was in a boots by a friend, but forgot to ask which branch - I have looked in all the ones in town and Blanchardstown, and gave up. :) Oh well - too late now!

Yeah can't wait for 2 litres of sweet, goodness ... in fact something just occured to me when I was getting a coke today in the cinema. The next time I'm there... one of those sprite pumps (who drinks sprite in a cinema anyway?) will probably be a vanilla coke one. Hurrah!

Thanks for all the replies. Shall try and grab some over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

yeh its ****ing minging
    like a liquified chalk lollie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

They've also got Vanilla Coke in Spar or some such similar shop on the Lower Rathmines Road, opposite the Rathmines inn. D'youse know what's horrible? This new lemon Diet Coke. Tastes like the end of your vodka and coke in the pub, only without the alcohol/sugar/nicotine.
    Dr Pepper, on the other hand, rules - happy tooth daceay.
    As for BPM, the green one's nice, but the red one tastes like Actifed.

Originally posted by fisty
    yeh its ****ing minging
    like a liquified chalk lollie.

Okie dokie - it's only a soft drink dear, no need to go berserk or anything.

Yeah therannu - various spars seem to stock them on a random basis, have to agree the new lemon diet coke is *horrid*! It tastes absolutely rotten - it isn't a hint of lemon at all, heck, it isn't really lemon at all.

I hate Doctor Pepper though - can't stand it for some reason, same with Cherry Coke. Yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

SO why cant they bring out some mixture of drinks that actually tastes NICE for once, the last good few taste brutal, and make you want to go and buy a proper drink :(:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just drink regular coke.
    You're only tainting it by mixing vanilla and lemon and cherry flavourings into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

While I don't think it'll impress me I'll try it.

Dr Pepper is ok, I like the Lemon Diet Coke but prefer the normal Diet Coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lemon diet coke is quite nice if you're thirsty. A bit too much lemon in it though, same with Pepsi Twist, I like Coke with a small bit of lemon in it (actually I think I saw lemon down on the list of ingredients on normal coke bottle before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

i havent tried the new coke yet but i dont like the lemmon diet coke or pepsi twist, not a major fan of Dr. Pepper but i love sprite, all clubs and bpm green.

Ack
    We all got it wrong.

Those ads were for foreign beer or something - there's no vanilla coke on July 1st.

What's up with the tv ads then?

Wtf you ba$tard$ i'll kill you all, foreign beer ffs you sure ?:mad:

:mad: CombatCow:mad:

• Advertisement

Yep, sure as sure can be. Was wandering around in the direction of Grafton Street heading up just by Aston Quay when I saw the same bus shelter ad - except now the bottle had been unveiled.

And indeed, not vanilla coke.

One wonders wtf is up with the Coca Cola marketing machine. The TV ads have been going on for a good two months.

One wonders wtf is up with the Coca Cola marketing machine. The TV ads have been going on for a good two months.

U sure their on irish tv stations,i havnt seen any ads for VC.:confused:

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Those ads were for foreign beer or something

Just spotted this thread...

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, its actually for Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - a bottled stronger version of the black stuff. There was some coverage in the papers recently on this - huge numbers of Nigerians were importing the stuff from Africa.

Its good stuff - separates the men from the boys.....

Advertisement