Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is a better NOS, 2000 pro or XP home?

Options
  • 27-06-2003 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I want to know which is better for the client side of a network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Take a look here: http://www.wown1.com/j_helmig/winxphom.htm
    Specifically this and then look at this

I'd go with 2000, you probably have little choice really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'cos it had a tweak to allow XP home to join a domain
    so if you are using Microsoft Domains XP is worse than Windows 95 (seem to remember loginscripts ran back on 3.11 - or was that the novell client?)

If I find a copy of Powertoys 1.0 I'll post - tought had found it but looks like it was 2.0 in disguise :(

The problem is not XP it'self but rather the decisions taken by the M$ Marketing guys to hobble it. (I suppose it could be considered an innovation ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Cheers, that answered my question. XP Home can only join a workgroup. 2000 professional can join domains. Another question, can win9x join a domain?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a) Processing Login script from dmain server - only XP home can't do this automatically (create shortcuts etc)

b) Domain security - since win9x has no local security - press esc and you have control on the local machine - not much point in it participating in domain security - but you can ask the domain controllers to validate file sharing (as long as your PC is connected to the domain)

Also win9x can join a domain - but NT can's unless you setup the PC in server manager - Oh yeah that;s secure,...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

b) Domain security - since win9x has no local security - press esc and you have control on the local machine - not much point in it participating in domain security - but you can ask the domain controllers to validate file sharing (as long as your PC is connected to the domain)

You can lock down 9x pc's with poledit in the reskit. Policy files can be obtained from servers upon login. Numerous third party applications to do this as well.

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement