Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Anytime product details.

Options
  • 27-06-2003 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I've just received the following official press release:
    ESAT BT LAUNCHES "IOL ANYTIME" IRELAND'S MOST COMPETITIVE FLAT RATE INTERNET SERVICE (FRIACO)

EARLY BIRD OFFER - €20 PER MONTH

Friday June 27th 2003 - Esat BT today announced the long awaited launch of Flat Rate Internet Access Service (FRIACO) to the Irish market. IOL Anytime is a dial-up service which enables customers pay a flat monthly charge for internet access at any time of the day or night. IOL Anytime is set to revolutionise the internet experience for Irish internet users, as the service effectively does away with traditional per-minute based charges
    or metered access. IOL Anytime is available as a stand-alone service, and does not require customers to sign-up for Esat BT voice services.

IOL Anytime is a two-tiered service. The residential offering is priced at €30 incl vat which provides 180 hours access per month (average 6 hours per day). The business offering is €45 plus vat per month for 260 hours access per month (average 9 hours per day).

To celebrate the launch of IOL Anytime, Esat BT is also nnouncing a special offer which will run for one month. During this time, residential customers who subscribe to IOL Anytime between today and July 31st will enjoy a discount of 33% for the first three months of their subscription, with an unbeatable monthly charge of just €20.
    Both residential and business customers can register for IOL Anytime through the IOL Anytime website at www.iol.ie or by calling 1800 923 111.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Could you mail them back and ask them what the Modem : User ratio is?

DeV (who is like a dog with a bone regarding such questions... :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Doesn't compare very well to UTV tbh. 5euro dearer for the standard 180hrs and ~55euro (incl. VAT) is just a joke for 56k access in my opinion, though I'm sure it could save a lot of people a lot of money.

Be better off buying two accounts of UTVip XL, 50euro for 360hrs.

And no low-price offer to attract the casual users.

Nice one Esat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

that business offering looks quite nice for 260 hours online, but i presume that 45 doesnt include vat as it says 45 plus vat

Still though quite nice plus 20 euro for a couple of months on the resi service also is inviting

Choices choices at last

Shin

question is how can esat do this separately to there voice calls and UTV cant still boggles the mind that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by PiE

And no low-price offer to attract the casual users.

They appear to be keeping NetSmart 40 and 80 for the casual surfer (who by their nature would log on in the evening).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by shinzon
    question is how can esat do this separately to there voice calls and UTV cant still boggles the mind that one

UTV have made it very clear that the reason they need you to take the CPS is because they are routing any calls that cannot be answered on a FRIACO port through the standard phone system at their expense. This means you will (almost) never get an engaged tone with UTV, whereas if you go with an ISP who don't provide this service, if all the FRIACO ports they have in your local exchange are busy, then tough, you don't get online.

A little reading goes a long way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

residential customers who subscribe to IOL Anytime between today and July 31st will enjoy a discount of 33% for the first three months of their subscription, with an unbeatable monthly charge of just €20.

i might sign up for 3 months then jump over to UTV unless there is some catch (sign up for a year???)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Esat do provide voice services and have many customers (mainly business?). It's not bundled with the service because they are a much bigger company than UTV and they also have BT behind them, they don't bundle it 'cos they're already getting it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i might sign up for 3 months then jump over to UTV unless there is some catch (sign up for a year???)

Great minds think alike! .... anyone know what the minimum contract period is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Great minds think alike! .... anyone know what the minimum contract period is?

I could be reading it wrong but it looks to me to be 1 year.
    From http://anytime.iol.ie/tnc.htm
    6.1 This Agreement shall be for initial term of 1 year and shall continue
    for further periods of 1 year unless terminated in accordance with the
    terms and conditions herein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think this seems to be a very similar style to what the previos off peak offers were. Esat €5 more expensive but no cps bundled.
    (and better ping times im assuming. Last product was)

The Business product will be very good for a lot of business.
    22 working days in a 31 day month or so. ( not including Bank holidays)
    260/22 = 11.8hrs or so a day. More than enough to be connected all through working hours and still have enough to leave it on a bit for those late workers. (not paying VAT can make things so much cheaper :| ). The real people who are going to save on FRIACO are the businesses. (as we allways knew would be the case)

Would be nice to have confirmed if they are keeping the old products as a poster above believed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    UTV have made it very clear that the reason they need you to take the CPS is because they are routing any calls that cannot be answered on a FRIACO port through the standard phone system at their expense. This means you will (almost) never get an engaged tone with UTV, whereas if you go with an ISP who don't provide this service, if all the FRIACO ports they have in your local exchange are busy, then tough, you don't get online.

A little reading goes a long way...

yes i would very much like to see this in operation, utv have a penchant for saying theyll do these things and then do the complete opposite, tell me in a month when the backlash will begin, because it will

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by JohnK
    I could be reading it wrong but it looks to me to be 1 year.
    From http://anytime.iol.ie/tnc.htm

A year tied into the service? Damn, who knows what the situation will be in a years time, thats a big commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by myhandle
    A year tied into the service? Damn, who knows what the situation will be in a years time, thats a big commitment

Judging by the rate of change over the last years, it probably wont be any different:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yes i would very much like to see this in operation, utv have a penchant for saying theyll do these things and then do the complete opposite,

Such as?
    tell me in a month when the backlash will begin, because it will

Shinzon, get back under your bridge and stop making blatant trolling comments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

that business offering looks quite nice for 260 hours online

Is this a joke from the eternal UTV basher. I smell an ESat mole. How could this be considered even close to good value when you add the VAT. UTV will give you a full hundred hours extra for LESS for God's sake.

Shinzon have you an agenda here, it's beginning, well it began a long time ago, to sound like it. Some of your statements about UTV are also blatently untrue and alarmist.

Come clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

He might have been speaking about that product for businesses..? I'm sure that business product also includes superior tech support as well as some other small perks.

Its a business product for a reason im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

yes i would very much like to see this in operation, utv have a penchant for saying theyll do these things and then do the complete opposite, tell me in a month when the backlash will begin, because it will
    Er, I've never seen them do that. Malcolm and Scott have made a few "what if" posts (which isn't the same thing as saying they'll do anything) - I've never seen them lie either here on the boards or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

How could this be considered even close to good value when you add the VAT. UTV will give you a full hundred hours extra for LESS for God's sake.

Ok getting tired of telling this to people but you CANT buy 2 packages of utvxl. Only 1 per phone line. They just wont allow this. Why , I have no idea. So esats offer of 260hours for 45euro is the BEST deal out there. Why utv cant match this is beyond me. Bu Bye utv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Anybody get clarification on the max connection speeds this supports? Is it 56K Analogue or 64K ISDN?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Rags
    Only 1 per phone line.

Are you sure it's not one per address, cos a lot of people have more than one line.

• Advertisement

Dunno about that. Just got this brief and to the point answer when I emailed utv support about buying 2 packages of utvxl. "There is no way to purchase 2 accounts and apply them to the one line, nor are there any plans to do so"

So maybe if u have more then 1 line ur in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Rags
    So esats offer of 260hours for 45euro is the BEST deal out there. Why utv cant match this is beyond me. Bu Bye utv.

EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!

UTV supports a max of 64k isdn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

if Esat have a business product, why doesnt UTV have one too? Im aware of the size difference, even so

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ruu
    if Esat have a business product, why doesnt UTV have one too? Im aware of the size difference, even so
    Worth asking that question in one of the UTV threads. There's already too much UTV discussion in the Esat threads and vice versa.

EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!EXCLUSIVE OF VAT!

Doesnt make a difference its still the best deal out there if you use that amount of hours. What 55euro or somein with vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

So you are trying to tell me that it's better to pay more than twice as much for less than half as many hours.......

we should all just wait and see what the product is like, there are enough people p****d off with Esat at the moment for relasing information of services that don't actually exist......

So you are trying to tell me that it's better to pay more than twice as much for less than half as many hours.......

What the hell are u talking bout? If you read what I said "Doesnt make a difference its still the best deal out there if you use that amount of hours" How could u agrue with that. If you USE those hours in the 260hours esat deal then it IS the best. So what are you talking about.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm on IOL NoLimits at the moment and it is in a very bad state. It takes multiple attempts to dialup before it connects and it has frequent disconnections (about every 15 minutes), in fact for a while last week I kept getting disconnected every 2 mintues or so.

I hope for the sake of people taking up the anytime sevice that this isn't an indication of the type of service you will receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

im a nolimits too .. but i cant say i have notced :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

im on nolimits also i use it alot and dont have any of the problems you have bk on average it disconnects every 2 hrs but sometimes i can be connected for much longer

Advertisement