Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Anytime product details.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It must be my problem so (or maybe my exchange), I'll take a look when I get home.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm on no limits. Have been since the start. Haven't had any problems really except when they first launched and no one could get connected. I don't think I ever used over 75 hours, maybe once or twice. Thats what.... at least 2 or 3 years of offpeak flat rate with no problems. Thank u Esat :D

I don't know if its been mentioned though but after signing up online for Anytime it told me i'd agreed to a 12 month contract.... sorry but I didn't :rolleyes: . No mention of it anywhere in the terms and conditions. Rang Esat and they told me to ignore it. Kept a web copy just in case.

Hopefully I should be on Anytime by the end of the week. Was told that I would just be migrated from no limits and my new Anytime account credited. 180 will do nicely and @ the same approx the same price with the added bonus of ANYTIME ... its all good. So far so good. :cool:

Now i've just to wait on Eircom to upgrade the Portmarnock exchange and get me some BB. It was meant to be upgraded since about Feb 02. Meant to be done by end of this month.... pah! I won't get my hopes up. Get on with it Eircom!! :rolleyes:

ambrose

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by kingambrose
    ...Hopefully I should be on Anytime by the end of the week...

Are you moving to Anytime for peak usage?
    Otherwise why move, doesn't nolimits have unlimited offpeak still?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I thnk that ESAT restricted usage to 75 hours to exising customers & then withdrew the package to new subscribers.

I may be wrong with the Limit. Correct me, If I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They shut it down to new users first. Then a couple of months later they kicked off the 2000 users. I don't think the 75 hours thing was ever official - possibly an internal number used to determine who would get the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    I thnk that ESAT restricted usage to 75 hours to exising customers & then withdrew the package to new subscribers.

I may be wrong with the Limit. Correct me, If I am wrong.
    OK then:D, you're wrong on the first and kind of right on the second.

They pulled the package for new signups in March 2001 and the debacle erupted in May 2001 when they dropped subscribers etc. The 75 hour thing was something someone in CS thought up apparently, it then spread as a rumour until it became regarded as fact. Derek Kickham (CEO of Esat at the time) swore blind that he never heard of it. I tend to believe him. There was (and is) no official limit.

The 75 hour rumour probably started (IMHO) because that was at or around the usage at which Esat moved from profit on an individual subscriber to loss on an individual subscriber. Why it spread to become something mentioned by quite a few Esat CS people as fact when people phoned in is something I've no idea about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Originally posted by myhandle
    Are you moving to Anytime for peak usage?
    Otherwise why move, doesn't nolimits have unlimited offpeak still?

On no limits I'm paying around €25 + day usage ~ €20 = €45 per month. (~75 hours ...if thats even true) And only off peak.
    Whereas if I move to anytime its only €20 for the first three months and I can go online whenever I need to day or night.

By the end of 3 months if Eircom hasn't upgraded my exchange i'll prob go wireless. I've hold off long enough. Getting itchy feet :D
    Fupping dial up is a pain in the @ss.

ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

Yep thats what im doin', Anytime for 3 months then hopefully IBB's Ripwave for 30e, which makes 56k'flatrate' the same price as 512/512 always on (no aerial) . When:rolleyes: IBB release Ripwave the other telecos will surely have to drop the price of 56k'flatrate'..... won't they?
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Wonder what the pings will be like. Ive seen some lads ping terrible all the time with UTVs current hours package (like 120 ingame).

If IOLs pings semi decent for games, ill go with that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by skrobe
    Yep thats what im doin', Anytime for 3 months then hopefully IBB's Ripwave for 30e

I think there is a min contract with Anytime for 12 months ... u should check out the TnC carefully before you sign up.
    Originally posted by vac
    Wonder what the pings will be like.

I ping to english CS servers at about 100ms using Esat Netsmart 64k single line ISDN. Esat must have a good connection cause Dual-Line 128k ISDN pings about 150ms to the same servers on UTV Internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Anyone know if it works over isdn? As usual I got no reply to the email I send esat asking that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

All Esat dialup accounts support ISDN. The best pings that I used to get (no time to play anymore) used to be 50-60ms to fast close servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

they are pretty good pings ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

mebbe its just me but others have posted problems with netsmart, not the connection but pings, every 3 to 4 weeks i go into a cycle of not being able to play on any game servers without 999 ing the whole time, this stays like that for another 2 weeks and then everything is ok for another 3 to 4 weeks, its basically a cycle i go through, generally though the netsmart pings are very very good,

take bf 1942 for example, its probably misreported but for 20 minutes straight last night i was pinging a barryserver at 20ms, how this is possible i have no idea but there it was. not complaining about that one bit here, tis good very good

By the way has anyone gotten there forms yet for anytime, drone took my details last friday, was expecting them today

Regards

Shin

Just rang up and asked about the contract. He said you have to give a month notice when you want to cancel the service. Thats all. (Same as netsmart) Oh ya and he confirmed it works over isdn single channel which I guess everyone supports nowadays.

<edit> Just checked the contract and it most definetly menctions min of 12months. Dont like the sounds of it.

mebbe its just me but others have posted problems with netsmart, not the connection but pings, every 3 to 4 weeks i go into a cycle of not being able to play on any game servers without 999 ing the whole time, this stays like that for another 2 weeks and then everything is ok for another 3 to 4 weeks, its basically a cycle i go through, generally though the netsmart pings are very very good

Actually I had kind of same problem, had netsmart and utvip for a month or so at same time awhile back and I found netsmart was HORRIBLE for playing games sometimes. My ping was very unstable with it. It seemed to be a phase it went through every few weeks. Some of the time I had to log off to use utvip because of it. Utvs pings are slightly higher but were more stable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Friend of mine is going through these exact problems at the moment. You'd think that if this happens regularlty that they'd think of maybe fixing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

its ok for me at the mo, but just dreading the damn thing happening again, hope im over to anytime by the next cycle date and that theyve sorted it out on that product

fingers crossed

Shin

Advertisement