Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so near and yet so far...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

how?

I managed to get the OS up and running after I flattened the HDD and reinstalled. I haven't installed Service Pack 1 again as I'm pretty sure that was the problem in the first place...

Is SP1 necessary to install or should I just leave it out all together? If it's important, is there a "safe" way to install it?

BTW, I'm having great fun with XP - it's a lot better than ME in my opinion (last OS I was using)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Try installing Mac OSX... :)

Na, seriously, I'd use a program called gdisk to do the formatting for the hard drive before installing the OS. It's like fdisk but faster and more powerful.

If you want more info, just say.

Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what u should have done in the first place was a low level format on the hd (dunno what make urs is but i have a maxtor and they have teh utility on their website) it wipes absolutely everything whether its fat 32 ntfs etc

i doubt sp1 was the problem more likely just an improperly formatted disk when originally installing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I remember Gerry(I think) saying that low level formats were a bad idea unless for very extreme situations like the RIAA are parasailing in your windows and you need to get rid of those gigs of mp3s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Have u checked out your power supply.

The power supply may cause a loop when there is a great demand made by the board on the p/s it tends to lapse and then return with just enough power to keep the machine running

everything's working fine now. I flattened the HDD, reinstalled the OS (and SP1) and things seem to be running OK.

The only problem I have is IE, but then again I always found it buggy.

Advertisement