Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIT Computer Science Degree

• 27-06-2003 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Is anybody doing the computer science degree in DIT?

and if so is it any good? i might be able to get in this year but am wondering if i should or would it be better to repeat my leaving cert and go for a University?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

seems to be good course so I've heard, here's a link to read more

FT228-comp.sci degree

I know a guy who I think is doing FT228 if you want to e-mail me I'll forward it on to him and let him get back to you.

You should ring oliver O connor, the staff are off at the moment but they tend to check their phones for messages and I've seen a few guys from computers floating around

If you can't get him try the staff listing.

And dont be afraid to ask the question, would I be better off doing it somewhere else, let them give you the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by bug
    seems to be good course so I've heard, here's a link to read more

FT228-comp.sci degree

I know a guy who I think is doing FT228 if you want to e-mail me I'll forward it on to him and let him get back to you.

You should ring oliver O connor, the staff are off at the moment but they tend to check their phones for messages and I've seen a few guys from computers floating around

If you can't get him try the staff listing .

i have already talked to some Kevin street staff but i was wondering if any boards members where on the course so i could get a first hand account of what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I know a few from boards doin it - Koopa and Dar are in my class.... I'm goin into 2nd year.. It's an interesting course but some of the maths (1st year) is very hard

Originally posted by Repli
    I know a few from boards doin it - Koopa and Dar are in my class.... I'm goin into 2nd year.. It's an interesting course but some of the maths (1st year) is very hard

well i am hoping to get straight into 2nd year off my FAS course so will have to catch up in the maths :(

so you would recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Trebor
    well i am hoping to get straight into 2nd year off my FAS course so will have to catch up in the maths :(

so you would recommend it?
    Yeah I would recommend it.. I'll show u the ropes :P I dunno if you'll have to catch up on the maths because I dunno if you even do maths in 2nd year.. Maybe Chucky or roar_ie could tell you - theyre in 3rd/4th year

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Repli
    Yeah I would recommend it.. I'll show u the ropes :P I dunno if you'll have to catch up on the maths because I dunno if you even do maths in 2nd year.. Maybe Chucky or roar_ie could tell you - theyre in 3rd/4th year

well then i might see you in september :D

just have to pass one little test and i will have the cert from FAS and i did my work experience in DIT Aungier street so i can have them put in a good word for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Lucky git if u can skip 1st year - twas borin as ****e on the whole, with the programming being the only interestin part. Too many borin non-cs related subjects to troll through. It's supposed to pick up second year on tho.

Don't worry too much about the maths - first year was only percieved as being difficult due to the lack of a decent lecturer (altho those 1 hour naps durin the afternoon were great).

On a side note - shame casper's dropped out - there goes the masterplan for the bomberman and homebrewing soc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

I'm heading into 4th year of ft228. When I was looking at what course I wanted to do I put this course as my top choice - so that says something about the course content!

I just have one complaint about the course...DIT isn't renowed for its administration abilities...but that said we we're only the second year of the course so some issues had to be sorted out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer i did it as well with the above fools (no idea who they are tho except for Koopa).

I hardly went in and did fairly well ecept in Maths (tho i just slept through that anyway. zzzzz) Is it true that that lecturer (Brown?) had a mini heartattack or something one day? Cluctched his heart and fell to the ground?

Coure itself is ok, nothing special imo (C lecturer was fairly good).
    The running of the place could be better. Took em ages to sort out our labs and stuff. (over a month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I might be studying for a degree in cs in dit this year. I was in trinity last year and i left because i didn't fit in with the people in my class. I am from a depriped area of dublin and i was wondering is it hard to fit in to this institute. Also, are they mainly from the country and the upper class parts of dublin or are there students with the common dublin accent?

Also, do you get a better job if you have a degree rather than a diploma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I might be starting CS this year too.

Is the course easy enough if you have a good head for maths? And is kevin street really as bad as I've heard?

Advertisement