Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT job wanted

• 27-06-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Have searched absolutely everywhere for an IT job but to no avail!!!!!!

Where can I get work????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Mother of God..... :rolleyes:

Try here!!!! There is a work section in classifieds you kow.. it even tells you places to look for work!!! And you cant have looked everywhere.. if you had you would have a job... there is no shortage of jobs so if you are not getting jobs you apply for then you need to look at your skills/experience and try and increase them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

moved to work board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Saruman
    there is no shortage of jobs

What are you smoking? There is a huge shortage of IT jobs. A friend of mine took voluntary redundancy from a high profile company after 4 years top notch experience. He went looking for a new job immediately, got upwards of 50 interviews, practically everywhere told him they weren't actually hiring but couldn't pass up someone of his calibre to put on their books for when they were hiring. He started his new job two weeks ago - after 10 months actively seeking a job.

I'm looking for a new job myself at the moment and there is nothing whatsoever suitable out there for me, so I have to stay put until something suitable comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

there might be some shortage of jobs in Ireland but if your willing to travel they should be no problem getting a job enven if your just out of collage. but most people who are qualifyed are tied down ,wife/ girlfriend,kids ,dont want to leave mommy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

if your willing to travel they should be no problem getting a job

I'm going to continue as I started. Where are your facts for this? Same friend of mine mentioned above (and two other younger friends - graduated a year ago) have been over and back to Germany, Austria, UK and other places in between - no jobs, nada, zilch.

This is of course just my (their) experience, but do you have actual proof that there are IT jobs (not including support centre vegetables or translators, which aren't real IT jobs)? Anywhere in Europe would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

friend i mine was in bremen [wrong spelling] in Germany last year on work experience they offered him a full time job as network admin. some communications company in america was offering ppl with US passports and US MOD clerance, IT jobs [suooprt and setup of equiptment] it was in Iraq but the money was great starting at $80,000-120,000 they were really interested in my application till they found out i had neither a US passports or US MOD clerance. i havent looked for am IT Job abroad myself [still in collage] but i was looking for jobs in the Netherlands for the summer and all i could find were it jobs [programming with a language and support with a language] as i said i dont really look into it, but you can be sure that there is someone some where just looking for a guy with you quilifactions [assuming you have a qualification thats worth the paper its written on]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

try jobserve, plenty of IT jobs there, good jobs. you must be willing to leave the country though. If I could, I'd go, but I have commitments here.

There's a thought, if all the unattached youngsters bugger off to other countries, that would free up quite a few jobs here for those who can't leave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehopper

Have u got a list of companies abroad that have vancies in there IT department????

Where is the best place to go??

I was looking in a jobs paper yesterday and its got a crap load of IT jobs in NI.. mostly Belfast!!

Oh and when i said there is no shortage of jobs i meant that!! Just because a lot of people cant find what they want does not mean there are no jobs! Im the same, if i look for a job its very hard to find one to suit me but that does not stop me scrolling through pages and pages of IT jobs on the net that are "not" suitible for me so in other words there is no shortage of jobs available!!! Like i said and i stick to that.

what was the name of the paper????

can u help me get any sort of an IT job??

\please

• Advertisement

Any sort of IT job huh?? well you could always try the one in the work forum about Client Logic's BT openworld.. though i would not wish that upon anyone.. Not BT openworld anyway... Clientlogic itself is OK i suppose. They are getting a new account.. COLT (city of london telecom) so maybe you could do that..

Try the Fás website.. usually about 80 IT jobs there in Dublin area. Though some of the Admin jobs that you need years of experience and diplomas out of your arse.. and oh yeah you need to be able to do web design as well as look after 250 systems.. yeah they offer 16K or some crap like that.. since i make twice that i would not bother with it.. But there are some good ones.

The name of the paper... dunno... its a jobs paper.. I will take a look when i get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

The company i'm with at the moment (like a lot of companies now) have a policy of not hiring anyone with less than 2 years experience. Very rarely they might make an exception but definitely not for grads. Its just too expensive to maintain people while they get experience at a company.
    Companies now want people who are ready to rock n roll straight away.

Saruman where do u work??

Tried fas and sent out cv's and no good!!

cant get in anywhere!! same with all my friends!!!

Here is the thread about BT openworld... i actually work for Clientlogic but not for BT, im one of the Gateway rejects that was too lazy to find another job before they closed so i stuck around. I get paid a lfair bit of money for what i do. I do Tech support for servers and networks etc and im also the Tech trainer for new hires for Gateway! They only hire for continental market so unless you speak another language you wont get onto Gateway and even still you wont have the same T&C as me since i keep my Gateway ones plus time served.. so if im made redundant.. i get all my time at Gateway and clientlogic combined.. sweet as :D

Toxic Paddy posted a sys admin job at Clearys in Dublin.. take a look.

Im considering giving up IT and being a writer!!! Thats what some school test thing i did said i should be!!! :D but even then i knew i wanted to work with computers...

Hiya

Would you be able to have a word and see can you get me in

I'm totally desperate

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok TheHopper, im going to say this one last time.

you actually have to go out and get a job.
    you cannot sit at home and beg people for something.

why dont you post your cv up here and we can have a look for it, but i have asked you in other threads what experience you have etc and what qualifications, but you refuse to give any information.

in fact, all i know is that you are in 'the west' where ever that may be.
    could be west indies for all i know.

give more information, and the advice you get back will be more specific, but if i see one more 'give me a job' plea, im going to give you a weeks break from posting here (take the hint, i mean temp ban) to think about how you can go about getting a job.

if you are stuck and dont know what you are really doing, then post it up. but people need some sort of information to go on.
    and we dont get paid to do it, so if you p*ss me off and i ban you, theres no point in moaning about it, because at that point i wont give a flying monkeys.

are we clear now?

you want help?
    help us to help you.
    i am a fair person, but you are testing my patients.

and in case you dont understand

give us information about you and your histlry and your experience and what you want to do, and someone may be able to help.
    begging for jobs is seen as uncouth.....

I'm from mayo.

my cv is ound-got it checked out in galway.

i have no experience in IT at all just graduated with a degree.

Is that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Oh god this is bad

you have two choices

1) you can sit around boards.ie and say things like "There are no jobs out there, please give me a job"
    and then say you have no experience .. what the fúck did you do in college, business studies? what about HTML?? maybe you can design a website and show people links?

what about college project?

2)You say your desperate .. then work in customer services/tech support? or is that below you

there are plenty of IT jobs .. there might not be plenty of programming jobs that pay 30k, but there are jobs

have you looked at ict-ireland?

and here is a job in mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by thehopper
    I'm from mayo.

my cv is ound-got it checked out in galway.

i have no experience in IT at all just graduated with a degree.

Is that ok?

ok.

that is not enough.
    if you want to keep info to yourself, then please do so, but i rapidly losing interest.

i am trying to help you.

why dont you put your cv up and let me be the judge of whether ot not it is sound.

want bloody degree do you have.

one last chance.

give more information.

person
    galway/west area
    seeks job
    has degree.

thats about what i know so far.
    unless i get something more, i will close this thread and ban you because im bored of trying to drag info from you. im trying to help. but im not paid to do it.
    dont push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

And If you put your actual CV up someone might see it and have a job for you.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thehopper
    Hiya

Would you be able to have a word and see can you get me in

I'm totally desperate

Thanks

:D I can see it now... i meet with HR and say look there is some dude on www.boards.ie from Mayo who wants a job.. no experience but has some sort of IT degree.. dont know what... His name? oh yeah thehopper..

Jaysus email your CV!!! ToxicPaddy posted the advert recently.. click it and start emailing! They got a new training group this week in (third so far) so you may end up being too late sitting on your arse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Hi,

I'm having the same kinda problem as thehopper so I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. My current contract runs out this Friday and it's not being renewed due to god damn budgets. My job title is computer lab supervisor so not really valid experience there for what I want to do. I really want to get into web design/development. I have a degree in Information Systems Development and a postgraduate diploma in Internet Systems Development, both from DIT. I have designed www.softonomy.com , which is nothing special but it was my first website. I also have another 2 or 3 websites to design but they are on the backburner as the clients are extremely slow in getting back to me. I'll attach my cv and a cover letter in zip format. I modify the cover letter as needed for each job I apply for. I've applied for 4 or 5 jobs this week alone and haven't even received a reply from any of them to acknowledge my application! I've been searching a certain 6 or 7 irish jobsites twice weekly for the past 2 years now and have applied to a good few jobs but nothing has come of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Can I have a job as a Spaceman?

Probably qualified.
    Experience?- Have good set of spanners.
    C.V. - Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I think the original poster on this thread is having a wind up. No one could seriously be so stupid.

He's looking for a job, but won't give any details about his experience or skills, or even about the job he's looking for... Could you imaging him at a job interview... His first words "Gis a job.."

Still no luck with any IT jobs

Does anyone know anywhere at all???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement