Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help lads!!

• 27-06-2003 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Well where do i start!!
    K ,My machine runs XP on an 80GB(NTFS) Drive using the SATA converter supplied wit new motherboard(ABIT NF7-S) ,everything was going fine until I powered it up about an hour ago.
    For no apparent reason its now telling me the following

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

Now this is the second time this has happened in two months and i can't for the life of me figure it out! Last time I had to fire up an old 10gb drive install win98,then convert to NTFS and then install XP so i could see my files on the 80GB and then backup all critical files to the 10GB. Then I put a fresh install of XP back onto the 80GB and everything was sweet till today!!!

First question I have is how do u make an XP Boot disk???

Second ceist:How can I start "windows setup from the original setup CD-Rom" when it tells me that this program can only be run from Windows,,(Kinda impossible at the moment!!)If i could get this to run maybe it will be able to repair the file in question!

Im using a friends laptop at the moment
    so if anybody has come across this before maybe u might have some advice:confused:
    Any help would b much appreciated,I'll check back 2nite if I still have any hair left!
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

First question I have is how do u make an XP Boot disk???

Next time try using google first. First hit searching for "Xp boot disk" brought me to here
    How can I start "windows setup from the original setup CD-Rom"

If you can boot from CD-ROM (most modern PCs can do it, but you may have to edit boot order in your BIOS), turn on your PC, insert XP installation CD-ROM, restart the PC.

Failing that use the XP boot disks to boot and then repair using your CD-ROM.

One caveat: I have never, ever managed to Repair Windows 2000 using the any of the Repair optons from the CD-ROM. It just fails every time and I ended up re-installing from scratch (or when I was smart from the ghosted image I had already prepared). I have never even installed XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Well done to the thread starter for having two copies of this thread and to me for not noticing.

Advertisement