Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Box Chipped

Options
  • 27-06-2003 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where id get a chipped x box in Dublin, wanted to get a DVD player to play divx etc and could only find one in SCAN.co.uk for about €320, i already have too many DVD players but i have no x box , was hoping to kill two birds with the one stone by getting a chipped x box and running the x box divx codex on it, think you can get the SW on heanet.com ? , anyway any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

www.cheapdvd.org its ni England BUT i got my PS2 done throught these guys and it went great ( worked out cheaper than Ireland even includen postage and packaging )

mail him and say "Ben" reccomended you :) I sent my ps2 away and had it back within 5 days chiped up nicely and he gave me a few free games too , good communications and fast to reply to emails, even phoned me :)

anywho GL

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No Xbox Live for you lot then :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have one foe sale, if you want it.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Stoner if u get ur xbox chipped Xbox live wont work on it. So is gettin a few games cheap really worth missing out on one of the main reasons people got an xbox for?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

eh sherwoods have a dvd player for 120 quid that plays divx and is region free. might be a better option than buggering your Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Stoner if u get ur xbox chipped Xbox live wont work on it. So is gettin a few games cheap really worth missing out on one of the main reasons people got an xbox for?

It's not a problem if you have a disable switch installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's not a problem if you have a disable switch installed

Although so many Live games go online without even asking you, it's damn easy to forget to flick that switch.

Actually, disable switches are a bit of a bodge anyway. It would be pathetically easy for Microsoft to put code into Live which detected the presence of something like "evox.xbe" on the Xbox hard drive and locked your console out of the service if it's present - basically, if you have a chipped Xbox, don't count on being able to play on Live.

Personally, I wouldn't find that offputting... There's not a lot worth playing on Live anyway, and when some good stuff DOES arrive, the cost of buying a new unchipped XBox to play on Live will probably be about 99 quid....

you could easily have it booting from disc :) - so the box would look unmoded if you just used the f drive to store your stuff

Sure, although we're kinda getting into the realms of being very tricky here. There's other stuff too - like not being able to have a larger hard drive in your XBox if you want Live to work (unless you put a hardware cut-out on it, linked to your mod-chip switch).

There'll always be a way to get a modded XBox working on Live, I'm just saying that I wouldn't consider it to be a guaranteed thing. Unless you keep VERY up to date with modding news, you're more likely than not going to turn on your XBox some day and discover that you've been locked out of Xbox Live by a new and cunning protection mechanism which has only just been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mind you, you can also put every emulator under the sun onto it!!!!! Every snes, megadrive and arcade classic ever on your XBOX... Savage.... and dont say ya can do the same on the PC, just not the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Mind you, you can also put every emulator under the sun onto it!!!!! Every snes, megadrive and arcade classic ever on your XBOX... Savage.... and dont say ya can do the same on the PC, just not the same!

I too thought that would be a nice addition, did it with my ps2 with a few games, then realised they are less buggy on the pc, look way better thru a monitor, and neither the ps2 nor the xbox have the neccessary power to run much past the snes without hitting slowdown.

In all fairness, the XBOX is more than capable of running anything out there at the moment. The XBOX would also be similar to the PC bug wise as it is a streamlined PC.

Originally posted by Shinji
    Sure, although we're kinda getting into the realms of being very tricky here. There's other stuff too - like not being able to have a larger hard drive in your XBox if you want Live to work (unless you put a hardware cut-out on it, linked to your mod-chip switch).

There'll always be a way to get a modded XBox working on Live, I'm just saying that I wouldn't consider it to be a guaranteed thing. Unless you keep VERY up to date with modding news, you're more likely than not going to turn on your XBox some day and discover that you've been locked out of Xbox Live by a new and cunning protection mechanism which has only just been released.

it's not really required to keep up to data anymore - once the hd is locked, only the f drive is used(nothing added to c etc), booting from say an evox disc using a bios that doesn't boot default.xbe on the dvd(avoiding being able to play normal xbox dvds in case you leave it on when going onto live). i guess the only possible way it could be detected would be if microsoft were accessing the f drive - you're right though it could happen. I'd be surprised but not amazed ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by elmer
    ...you're right though it could happen. I'd be surprised but not amazed ;)

I wouldn’t be surprised it’s something Microsoft thinks is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

XBox - cheap webserver and media box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks for all the advice and mails everyone. I think I might go for one anyway , dont really care about the live stuff , I like PC games, single , LAN and over ADSL the best anyway, so I'd like to have a DVD player that had a Divx codex on it, so a chipped x box seems like a good option. However I assume that I'd link the box to my PC and run the various applications and install them on the x box then I can take the box away and watch divx vids I downloaded, If it had to stay linked to the PC for some sort of compiler functions then it would be pointless (obviously) I'd also have access to normal X box games.
    So I'll talk to elmer later maybe ? and join the x box club, it'll be another console to stick in the corner with all the others while I play my PC.

I can put ya in contact with a fell who does this sort of stuff in his spare times. Does most consoles if anyone is interested and have all the DIVX, DVD and Emulators for the Xbox you will ever need!

upmanu - your post has been deleted because I don't appreciate people using my board for advertising their services and nothing else. Continue in this vein and you will be banned. If you want advertising, buy a banner ad.

Advertisement