Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Options
  • 27-06-2003 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Douglas Adams may be gone but not forgotten.

I hear there re making it into hollywood movie

Hope they combine all the highlights of the series and make one cracking movie.

I still thing about the ESP elavators sitting sulking the basement wanting to go another direction not up or down

Marvin rocks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

have this at home, you've just inspired me to re read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was my first experience of stories that were actually funny. Douglas Adams was a genious. God (or whatever he happened to believe in) bless'im.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

If you read The Salmon of Doubt, you'll see that a movie has been "in the pipeline" for ages.
    Now that ole Doug is sadly deceased, I shudder to think what they'll do to one of teh best series ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i enjoyed the hitchhiker series though i thought the later books lacked something, the first dirk gently book was good also, the second one only ok i though, the salmon of doubt was good though, adams' thoughts on just about everything are quite funny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

tHHGTG is fab!!

54 ppl!! 54!!!

"Ford, stop turning into a penguin!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

thought it was 42

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

42 is 54 in base 13.

so hah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...I liked the idea of an economy based entirely on shoe sales...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hey.

Hey yez, just wantd to make u all jealous. I'v an old video of the books made durin the 70s but its pretty crap so mayb no dont b jealous. My favourite part was that woman who found out God's message to humanity n then ends up gettin killed wen the earth explodes 2 secs later. V funny.:D

They showed that on telly a good while ago. Very very cheesy, but in a good, Dr. Who kind of way. The actual Hitchiker's guide bits weere well done, particularly the big flashy diagram of "Dingo's kidneys".:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hey.

Yep i agree, definitely Dr Whooy! Cant remember Dingos kidneys part, must watch it again. Main memory of the film was the fake head stuck on the shoulder of wats-his-face Zaphod Beeblesumthin. Was a bit before Buffy n Angels style of make up so 10 points for effort. V stupid n funny. It lookd like the whole set was made by Blue Peter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

PISS OFF YOU YOU BIG HEAP OF MALADJUSTED METAL!

what a book......

funniest thing i have evar read

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Can anyone remenber the secret of flying?????

Originally posted by Lawdie

Proberly not looking down or remembering to bring your towel!

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Fall towards the ground and miss :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Originally posted by Lawdie

the secret was to fall and be distracted at the very last second before you hit the ground.

Found the whole definition!

http://www.dwave.net/~tony/Mars/hgttg2.htm

Flying

There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Pick a nice day and try it.

All it requires is the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt.

That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground.

Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about the how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phylum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner.

This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration.

Bob and float, float and bob.

Ignore all considerations of your own weight and simply let yourself waft higher.

Do not listen to what anybody says at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful. They are most likely to say something along the lines of "Good God, you can't possibly be flying!" It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right.

Waft higher and higher.

Try a few swoops, gentle at first, then drift above the treetops breathing regularly.

DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly becomes easier and easier to achieve.

You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your flight, your speed, your maneuverability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it were going to anyway.

You will also learn how to land properly, which is something you will almost certainly screw up, and screw up badly, on your first attempt.

There are private flying clubs you can join which help you achieve the all-important moment of distraction. They hire people with surprising bodies or opinions to leap out from behind bushes and exhibit and/or explain them at the critical moments. Few genuine hitchhikers will be able to afford to join these clubs, but some may be able to get temporary employment at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Great site

I always enjoy the simple answer

thanks Lawdie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hard to believe it all started out as a stage play !

special effects on the radio were fab - the TV series was fairly good.

Hate to think what the bods in hollywood would do to it in the interests of dumbing it down for the mass market.

Eddie the computer would probably survive - but I fear that ohter characters would be unfavourable treated - and lots of jokes would "loose something" ..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

My absolute favouritist books of all time!!! I love everything by Douglas Adams. It's just so readable!!!

I dunno about the other books lacking. I thought all of Ford Prefect's parts in Mostly Harmless were hilarious!!! I laughed my ass of reading how Ford tried to keep the element of surprise as he was in the HHGTTG Offices. Brilliant stuff...

I took a look on IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and much to my disappointment "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" was not there anymore!! That was the name of the film as it was in progress. :-/ I would also have loved to see a Dirk Gently Movie. They were great books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" ?? ...do they not have galaxies in america or somat? ..silly yanks.

I'd fear the worst from a Hollywood version of the story.. but at the same time, I'd love to see a film done right (maybe with Terry Gilliam at the helm... would be interesting anyway).

I've got the entire radioplay (12 epps) on my MP3 player.. great stuff for those long bus journeys :D

You've reminded me of my other point... Marvin Rocks!!!

But I was very disappointed to hear the voice of Marvin that was used for the radio. It didn't compare in the least to Marvin from the TV Series who was absolutely fantastic. You could feel the pain and agony in his voice!!!! :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I recently bought the "trilogy of five" in a box-set. I stayed up till 5 am last night reading the HHGttG - it is brilliant! I had to get a pencil to underline the bits that made me laugh the most so that I'll be able to find them again quickly.

I think it would be quite hard to carry off a film version however - this is a book that just can't be dumbed down, there are so many interesting bits that would be hard to convey in a visual medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I have the DVD collection of the original BBC series.

Its brilliant, captures the book perfectly.

Not looking forward to US film version though.

Originally posted by Goodshape

I'd fear the worst from a Hollywood version of the story.. but at the same time, I'd love to see a film done right (maybe with Terry Gilliam at the helm... would be interesting anyway).

Gilliam would spend 250 million and then have the film taken away from him by the executive producer who would re-cut it and add a laugh track and a happy ending. El Tel would then take out a hit on him (plus full page ads in the Hollywood Reporter condeming the treatment of his "flawed masterpiece" it would be flawed cos all Gilliams films are! :D ). The film would proberly be directed by Chris Columbus! :eek:

Mike.

Ah, Marvin, the Paranoid Android! He was my hero. Jeebus, the unbelievably crippling MISERY he managed to wallow in was just hilarious and endearing. "Brain the size of a planet, and they have me picking up pieces of paper."

Something struck me though. If Marvin's brain was the size of a planet, couldn't he have worked out The Great Question without the earth having to go poof?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even though he's much older than the universe they still haven't changed the diodes on his left side...

"life , don't talk to me about life , lothe it or ignore it you can't like it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 underdog

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    hard to believe it all started out as a stage play !

em,it started out as a radio play

and the directors are attched to the movie,
    see here

and I found the scripts to the radio play in easons, so now all i need is the illustrated hitch-hikers guide and I have everything he's published. Ever. :D

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

That's excellent news. No american director to come in a ruin it and change it from english into american!!!!

Thanks for the fantastic news!! :-p

I've a few books yet to get but I've got quite a large majority of his works. All excellent...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

i've heard Last Chance To See was DA's best work, even by his own admission, can anyone confirm this?

Advertisement