Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yes and are the meaning of liff books any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 underdog

well worth getting the deeper meaning of liff (it contains the first book, it just adds twice as many words :-)) It is absolutely brilliant. many a Adams convert have I made from random samplings of that book.

(of course I have both the maening of liff, and the deeper meaning of liff, purely for the collection you understand :-D)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Last Chance to See is excellent. It's so readable and just so Doughlas Adams. I loved it!!

Very real, quite funny at times too!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by underdog
    well worth getting the deeper meaning of liff (it contains the first book, it just adds twice as many words :-)) It is absolutely brilliant. many a Adams convert have I made from random samplings of that book.

(of course I have both the maening of liff, and the deeper meaning of liff, purely for the collection you understand :-D)

ah thank you i thought they where two seperate books, the second one just containing the new stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

HHGttG is brilliant.... but does anyone else think that the last book (Mostly Harmless) just wasn't as good as the others? I mean, it was GOOD, but it wasn't AS good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Douglas Adams = God

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Para||eL
    Douglas Adams = God

That is all.

Amen

Originally posted by avatar
    but does anyone else think that the last book (Mostly Harmless) just wasn't as good as the others? I mean, it was GOOD, but it wasn't AS good.

Well I thought that the Ford Prefect parts of that book were some of the funniest things I have ever read.

I will admit to having been racing through the other bits just to see what Ford would do next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

I've just started reading my big hardback HHGTTG collection. For the third time. To be fair its been a whole year since the last time I read it :P

Hopefully the film's in good hands. Much as I love Gilliam's work I'm not sure he would have been right for HHGTTG, it would end up as too Gilliamesque and as Mike said it would no doubt be a Flawed Masterpiece(tm) :D I think it would be nice for the other ex-Pythons to turn up somewhere as minor characters or in cameos though, maybe Michael Palin as the Captain in the bath or Terry Jones under vast quantities of prosthetics as the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

HHGttG is brilliant.... but does anyone else think that the last book (Mostly Harmless) just wasn't as good as the others? I mean, it was GOOD, but it wasn't AS good.

Having just finished reading the whole set of Hitchhiker books, I agree that there's something missing in Mostly Harmless. It is *very* funny in parts but the plot seems a bit hastily pulled together at times and the end, frankly is just depressing. I heard that DA claimed to have been having a hard time in his own life when he wrote it and that he had considered writing a 6th Hitchhiker book that would be somewhat more cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

How could he write a sixth book? as I recall, they all died at the end...

Originally posted by avatar

Although I heard he was actually working on a sixth book, so it might be published.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Did Douglas Adams not die a while back?

Originally posted by feylya
    Did Douglas Adams not die a while back?

Yeah, but he was working on the 6th book before he died.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah. Who's finishing it so? It would be cool. I have the hard back copy. Might start reading it again. I'm listening to the audio tape at the moment.

He was working on a 3rd Dirk Gently book before he died.

That was The Salmon of Doubt.

He had been finding it hard to do any writing for a while. Writers block etc. Read the Salmon of Doubt. It has a lot of short stories, articles, interviews with him and a few chapters of The Salmon of Doubt-being the 3rd Dirk Gently.

I had thought it was to be a 6th HHGTTG but nope it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, given the prominence of time travel and parallel universes in the books, it wouldn't be that hard to find a way to bring them back to life. After the first book, it seemed as if the earth had dispappeared forever, but it hadn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Yeah, the Magratheans could just build another exact copy with all the people there, exactly like it was when before, or a sixth book could have been based around zaphod, cause he didnt die.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well they have one ready to go... (except there are fjords in france) but it wouldn't be the same without the golgafringans

Well they never finished it... And they stopped work on it cause the project was too long. and of course they just wanted Arthur's brain instead! :p

But it's pointless thinking up different ways it could be done. We are without Doughlas. He's the only one who could've done it justice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Very true, i'm afraid we may just have to live without any new HHGTTG.

I very much look forward to the film though!!

I have the series on DVD and it's such a laugh. I fear there'll never be as good a Marvin (voice wise) again. But if they can pull that off it'll be fantastic. Everything will look amazing redone in 2003/2004/whenever graphics etc.

Like redoing the old Star Trek series or something!! Look at Enterprise. Everything looks so cool even though it's all so crappy really!! :p

*does a little dance*

HHGTTG Link

I think this will make most/every HitchHiker's Guide Fan happy!!! I know I am!!!!! Hehehe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Really looking forward to it, but I fear it will never match the BBC series!
    Oh and as an after thought... I hope the keep the theme music from the BBC series...it was perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not too happy.....its being directed by a pop video chappie who also does tv ads....yes I know thats how Ridley Scott began...but the same is true of Michael Bay :ninja:

Mike.

sykeirl: me too... Remember the voice of Marvin from the series? I thought that was absolutely the best ever!!! So fitted that part and guess what. A little further reading on the page shows that Stephen Moore, who is confirmed as the voice of Marvin, is the same guy!!!!!!

That's gonnnnna be so cooooooool!!!!!

Mike65: hmm... I read a little about the director alright. He did the music videos for "Coffee & TV" (loved that) and "Imatation of Life". I personally liked both of those videos. Oh and I completely forgot "Right here, Right now". That was a fantastic video.

"British directorial duo Hammer & Tongs are set to make their feature-film debut with HHGG"

The point really is that they're British! Same with Red Dwarf. If they had tried to Americanise it it would have been ruined. Sure Terry Farrel as the Cat in Red Dwarf was a joke beyond all belief!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Originally posted by skyeirl

Oh and as an after thought... I hope the keep the theme music from the BBC series...it was perfect!

The theme music from the BBC series was actually "Journey of the Sorcerer" by The Eagles

Advertisement