Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Spanish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Yeah I did it in Seville 2 years ago. Yeah you need it from what I've heard.

You could just get a fake one in Thailand though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got rocket Spanish and went through all the audio files and it helped a lot. It gave me a good base on top of a lot of slang and phrases i picked up from living with a Panamanian and a Colombian for 2 years and was around Mexicans for 4. Then i just began watching Spanish language films and reading newspapers and just listening to random podcasts in Spanish. Although i'm well far from fluency. I picked up a fair whack. I should really practice more since i'm off to central and south America in August

The Español is great for the aul traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

has anybody tried the rosetta stone spanish learning software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

For what its worth I found the book : Spanish Verb Tenses, by Dorothy Richmond to be very useful in learning the basic rules for conjugating verbs. Lots of vocab there also.

'ta luego

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

has anybody tried the rosetta stone spanish learning software?

Not great at all. Thank god I downloaded it for free haha because there is no way I'd pay their asking price. It's a crap way of learning the language in my opinion. A few pictures come up on the screen, then a voice says "el hombre" and you click the "hombre". Kinda shit.

I still recommend Michel Thomas for beginners....

Also, I just picked up a teeny little book in Waterstones: 333 spanish verbs, fully conjugated in every tense. Oh, and an index of about another 1000 verbs that can be easily conjugated using the other 333. The book cost about a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'm currently coming to the end of Michel Tomas' 8 CD course and it's a great way to start. Learning the structure of the sentences at the start, I feel, is the best way to go. Also, by the end you have a good enough idea on how to pronounce most words if you see them written. I rented it from the Library and then copied it so I can't really complain about the price:D
    All in all, there are only about 8 nouns in the whole thing but I feel learning nouns would be fairly easy in comparison to what you learn throughout the course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

All in all, there are only about 8 nouns in the whole thing but I feel learning nouns would be fairly easy in comparison to what you learn throughout the course.

True. He doesn't even teach you a,b,c or the days of the week or even numbers, but you walk away with some good knowledge of how spanish is structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a course in Spanish.

I am thinking of attending one of the below...
    http://www.edenschool.org/menu.asp?step=30
    http://www.languagewise.ie/spanish.html
    http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/spanish.htm?gclid=CIn0qvPfgpMCFQ5ZHgod8jh-xg

Can anyone recommend any of these?

Thanks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I've started using Spanish pod 101 recently; I've used the same company's Korean version in the past and liked it. The most important stuff (mp3 lessons) is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of doing a course in Spanish.

I am thinking of attending one of the below...
    http://www.edenschool.org/menu.asp?step=30
    http://www.languagewise.ie/spanish.html
    http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/spanish.htm?gclid=CIn0qvPfgpMCFQ5ZHgod8jh-xg

Can anyone recommend any of these?

Thanks you.

I did the beginners Italian course in Eden School and I was very impressed- Native speakers teaching the course, I can only assume it is the same for the Spanish course. Incidentally, I am going to attend a course in Languagewise in June :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wormking2002

you could try WWW.livemocha.com...loads of other languages theer also and its free to join..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

This is a brilliant link for spanish verbs

http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/VERBLIST.HTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

dundealgan wrote: »
    I did the beginners Italian course in Eden School and I was very impressed- Native speakers teaching the course, I can only assume it is the same for the Spanish course. Incidentally, I am going to attend a course in Languagewise in June :-)
    Yes they do, I did the beginners Spanish course in the same place. It's fairly cheap for what you get, but really I think if you're motivated enough, the majority of the stuff you learn, you could do yourself, but then again, I think it's easier to learn it in a class like this, and as I said, it's fairly cheap anyway, so I would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adriana

:)Hola!
    Si desean ayuda con el español, yo les puedo ayudar y gratis!
    Soy sudamericana y me llamo Adriana. Soy ingeniera y profesora universitaria. Podemos chatear o tener correspondencia en español.
    Espero que se contacten conmigo.
    Saludos,
    Adriana

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Hola,

Soy frances. Me gustaria practicar contigo. De donde vienes? A donde vives tu ahore?

Saludos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rioella

Mi llama es Nina. yo vivar in Cavan en Irlandes. Yo Viva in Espana por cinco anos, e mi espanol es bein pero nessecito por mi a hablar mucho mas espanol e mechor.

Yo gusta a tu amigo es possible por conversacion e lesons.

Gracias

Pardona mi Espanol lengua:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Adriana wrote: »
    :)Hola!
    Si desean ayuda con el español, yo les puedo ayudar y gratis!
    Soy sudamericana y me llamo Adriana. Soy ingeniera y profesora universitaria. Podemos chatear o tener correspondencia en español.
    Espero que se contacten conmigo.
    Saludos,
    Adriana
    Hola Adriana.
    Que idea!
    Soy Irlandes.
    Me gustaria contactarte por email o puedo enviar un recado
    privado a tu para mejorar mi Espanol. Te gustare? :)
    He olvidado los ascentos, pero tengo problem con mi ordenador - siento!
    Saludos,
    S

Hola Shamrock2004
    Me gustaría mucho que me escribieras. Espero mucho poder ayudarte con tu español. ¿Conoces Uruguay?, desde allí te escribo.
    Saludos, Adriana

Te estoy escribiendo desde la ciudad de Montevideo, Uruguay. Me encantaría poder ayudarte con tu español. Me gustaría que me hablaras sobre Irlanda y las costumbres de los irlandeses, y yo te hablaría sobre mi país, en este otro extremo del planeta.Espero tu contestación.
    Saludos,
    Adriana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

Maybe someone here can help me: sometime back I brought the Michel Thomas Spanish course on 8 Cds, I find it excellent but I have lost disc number 3. If anyone would either be able to lend me one so that I can copy it, sell me a copy, burn one for me etc. it would be great. I will of course pay all reasonable expenses! Please pm me back.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

Maybe someone here can help me: sometime back I brought the Michel Thomas Spanish course on 8 Cds, I find it excellent but I have lost disc number 3. If anyone would either be able to lend me one so that I can copy it, sell me a copy, burn one for me etc. it would be great. I will of course pay all reasonable expenses! Please pm me back.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

Hi Guys

Just came accross this thread. I am just wondering if anyone has come accross "Babbel" ? I think it is called. A language course provided on the net. They expect you to register with them and pay a fee as the course advances. If so could you give an opinion on it. Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

Regarding the online courses. I'm using busuu.com and am very happy with it. It gives basics but it seems to be good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 malwina007

If anyone know the ECM College is good? I thinking going there for a spanish course. Thanks for any opinion about this course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ShailyJohn123

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anglinajohn456

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

I lived in America for four years and learnt a lot of spanish from the mexicans I worked with, came home hear, went to www.coversationexahcnge.com and my spanish is improving immensely! It is free and very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Despite the fact that this is an old thread, I am going to leave it open as there are a number of good recommendations here.

Please note that links to torrents or spam sights will result in a ban from the forum as will advertising your own services.

Gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Despite the fact that this is an old thread, I am going to leave it open as there are a number of good recommendations here.

Please note that links to torrents or spam sites will result in a ban from the forum as will advertising your own services.

Gracias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just found this topic now. Lots of good advice here, will be looking into it this afternoon.

In a rut, have a brother living in spain. Think I would like to learn to speak spanish first then learn to read it too. I learn't Italian about 14 years ago in school but have completly forgotten it now. Found it easy to learn back then, but now I have a little fear thinking I will find it really hard to pick up a new language, so, baby steps :-)

Might drop up to a book shop this evening and look for a cheap audio book to learn when in work as I can listen to my mp3 player all day. Can anyone recommend a very good, and EASY audio book to listen to for beginners? Dyslexic here, so may be a bit of a challange for me to get to conversation Spanish, but wanna give it a shot.

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement