Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net time monitoring s/ware

Options
  • 28-06-2003 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Now that flat rate Internet is here, the boards will be swamped with noobs looking for software to monitor how much time they spend online. Personnally, I'm going to install whatever I find lying about on my desk, but what do you use and where can you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

GKrellM

Monitors pretty much anything you tell it to, also has loads of plugins for controlling other apps such as XMMS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i see nothing there about downloading the software just a bunch of email links and info about the product

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i see nothing there about downloading the software just a bunch of email links and info about the product

There are at least 20 links to download different versions on that page.

Hint: look for .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 file extensions

if you're looking for a windows version you'll get it here (linked to from the GKrellM homepage)

As it says you'll also need gtk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63357&highlight=timer

NoFrills Timer (link in the above thread) does it for me - 57k zip download for windows, source code available so you can compile it for a proper OS. I've been using it for over two years. It doesn't keep track of the amount of data you transfer so it's unsuitable for a BB connection. Perfect for dialup though.

Keeps track of as many dialup connections as you like, resettable as often as you like (automatic resets available) & you can set a time allowed amount so it warns you when you're going to go over your allotment. Can be set to count down from any number of hours (180 for example) as well. Default display is a small box for timer that can be put anywhere on the screen when the app is minimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

'bump'

I'm just about to sign up to IOL so I'll have to get off my arse (metaphorically) and install one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

iol actually offer a monitor service for iol anytime, was looking at it on their site yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Aye, but it'd be a pain to have to go check everytime, and I wouldn't trust them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah good point, t'would be a pain to keep tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I use isptimer.exe...very simply visBasic based tool...i just have to get into the habit of clicking it instead of IE/network connections to go online.

PM me if you would like to know more about isptimer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Finiware's Intercent.

Automatic detection of new connections, Total control of peak/offpeak/free mins settings. Great widget. only con. is no automatic reset of the cost counter at the start of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oxidise

I could use one considering the amount of time i am on during the week. Mainly as i have to pay what i use on the phone bill.
    Thanks for the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i find www.dumeter.com to be the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tazzzie

just a reminder to the n0000bies, you NEED a firewall (zonealarm or so) and good uptodate anti virus program I use mcafee, have used thunderbyte a while ago to.

happy surfing!!
    tazz zie_ hotmail.co.m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OnlineEye Pro
    www.pmasoft.net

Very cool program.
    Has ping, whois, traceroute built-in, history, graphing and the killer app for me was an active graph in the system tray tuned to 512/128kbit conenctions,gives instant idea of what your bandwidth is without having to click on anything or bring up another window.

Well worth the €15 imho.
    Until I find a free alternative with the systray graph icon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i find www.dumeter.com to be the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!

Yeah and it also accuratly tells you the speed of you connection and lets you tweak your connections's settings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by sci0x
    Yeah and it also accuratly tells you the speed of you connection and lets you tweak your connections's settings
    get's my vote too.

only thing is, it's a 30 day trial, so you'll have to stump up the cash.

you might want to think twice about trying to find a serial for it too, cos it seems to be able to check that sort of thing (not straight away for some reason) and even manages to find its way around firewalls to check your serial no. against the database of compromised ones too to make sure yours is not a bad one. (not that I'd know fo course, just something I heard.;)).

but great apart from that. something i do actually intend to pay for when i get the spare cash.

can measure both time online, and downloaded data as well as telling you your current DL/UL speeds.

very customizable and easy to use/understand for n00bs and pro's alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thats the one for me so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

TimeUp is pretty good too.

http://www.timeupsoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Originally posted by AntiRip
    TimeUp is pretty good too.

http://www.timeupsoft.com

What an excellent piece of software. Once all the tarrifs are programmed in it is brilliant. You can set it to count down your anytime hours and once used up, it will show the cost of your online time clocking up, then automatically add on the hours again at the relevant date.It also allows you to program in Bank Holidays to your tarrifs.

The only fault I found is dealing with the 6pm to 8am tarrif band. You have to split it in two (eg: evening 6-12, nightime 12-8).

If you change to another provider for any reason for "free" dialup (say your anytime provider is down temp) you can also configure a tariff to work alongside your existing connection for such cases.

You can set the overview to display your billing period eg over two months, to display all dialup costs, then clear it once your bill is recieved.

Highly recommended

Advertisement