Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The perfect story

• 28-06-2003 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

I'm curious.

I've started writing a new story called Grey. I wont bore you with the details but I was just wondering about a few things.

I've always found that the best story's are those where there is a really cool twist at the end but you never even saw it coming.

Then you watch the film again and you realise, wow, it was pointing at it all along. It was right there in front of me all along e.g. Fight Club, Donnie Darko etc.

I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas as to what makes the perfect story?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

T&A!

JK :)

For me it's pace. The story has to keep moving or I get bored. Lock, Stock is a good example : there's always something going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No such thing as the perfect story but to write a really good story, I suggest you examine stories you like and see why exactly you like them. As you said, a twist at the end often makes for a good story but be sure it's not too obvious or that, if you write more than one story, you don't start getting predictable!

Myself, I really like stories where you are transported into a different world and forget your own surroundings - this could be SF but it could also be the past/another country/another person's mind ... infinite possibilities.

I also like stories where there are lots of little ideas mentioned even if they're not all developed. I like the idea of the writer's pen dripping with ideas and to think that despite all the amazing ideas the writer has imparted in a particular story, that there are many more ideas in her/his mind that she/he has yet to express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

the story about how you saved the world was fairly cool even though there was no twist, you managed it because it was fairly aberrant the whole way through, it kept your attention and for it to keep my attention is an accomplishement. It was unrealistic and well explained.
    me gives you a gold star!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I also read your story at back then, and overall I liked it, but there was some constructive criticism I meant to give, but was too lazy to begin to critique it. Overall though, keep it up, and as people said at the time, don't be too harsh on yourself - keep writing and post your next story. It reminded me a bit of that film Jimmy Neutron.

As for the way to write the perfect story - well don't be swayed by what is in vogue at the time. Stories that have a twist go in and out of fashion, just like Gabriel Byrne (Usual Suspects). Much better to stick to the universal principles - write about what you know, and make it have a good beginning, middle, and end.

Maybe you could invent a new style of writing? Bear in mind though that all the great artists did actually learn from their predecessors. Picasso didn't just start his career by painting arseways. He had to learn how to paint still-life realistically first!

Advertisement