Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k Service pack 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

General Advice

Unless you have one of the many problems listed it's probably safer to wait a wee while...
    M$ screwed up on SP6 for NT4 (hence SP6a)
    and screwed up big time twice on exchange 2000 patches

Size 129 megabytes (MB)
    "Service packs are cumulative. This means that the bugs that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs."

Hey but m$ say it will only take - "5 hours 20 minutes @ 56 Kbps" !
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its always a good idea to wait a few weeks to see what the fallout is....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=W2KSP4_EN.EXE&size=135477136

Some Mirrors,

Not Sure if i`ll install it yet,

Wots the feeling towards it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Wouldn't touch it just for the sake of it, I'd only install it if you needed a fix for a listed problem

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

ah its fine. I've installed it on over 30 pc's now and only got 12 Bsod's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So basically it's still in Alpha and not fit for production PC's and barge pole job for fileservers never mind mission critical ones...

Tip
    Start - Run - CMD
    net start > netstop.bat
    replace 4 spaces with NET STOP " and add a " at the end of the line (though comment :: out lines with esential services like DHCP client)
    run the batch file a few times to close other apps / services.

This will not prevent BSOD - but might stop BSOD trashing some open files ...

And I've seen stories about people moving Novell servers - while powered by the UPS - cos they were afraid to turn them off...

--Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is Available
    (27 June 2003)
    Microsoft's Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000, released on June 25,
    includes updates and patches that have been made available for the system since the release of Service Pack 3 in August 2002. The End User License Agreement (EULA) has also been updated to include specific information about features that "call home" to Microsoft so users can turn off the features they don't want.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0627windo2000.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4

Have not checked it out - but I would advise you to read the EULA's as M$ have given themselves lots more rights on things like SP3 for 2K and the real player license basically says you agree to the current terms on thier web site (which may be differnent to the one you downloaded yesterday...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Always the first mover, working fine for me so far.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

It adds support for USB2 & Wireless as well <eom>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

didn't break any of my stuff

• Advertisement

this is sounding a little interesting
    esp. If has support for generic PRISM 2.5 cards

betcha my winmodem & parallel port zip drive still go undetected :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

The reason why the WinModem cards don't have drivers included in the product is because the vendors who make them don't submit drivers to MS during the product development cycle, or else the drivers were not written correctly and were unstable.

It's not MS's fault that vendors can't write a driver!! They have to make a trade off:
    INclude crappy drivers and make the product unstable Vs. Get the vendors to release the drivers after the OS and make the OS more stable.

just would have been nice...

more a reminder to people not to upgrade until they have verified that a new OS will have drivers for thier gear.

Anyway when it comes to modems an external is your only man - look at the flashing lights ...

Bearing in mind how few of us have BB this is a bit nasty...
    (ZoneAlam and editing Hosts to bypass the update site spring ot mind)

"Please be aware that if you are like us and have disabled automatic updates that SP4 will re-enable it ! We disabled the service, and after installing SP4 is was enabled and running. "

"Unlike sp3, one cannot edit the update.inf file included with the sp4 to remove the autoupdate and bits services as sp4 knows the checksum of that file it seems and will not start if it's been modified"

"PS anyone else notice the interesting additions to the sp4 eula about DRM."

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

Just had to un-install SP4 coz Internet Explorer stopped working. Stoopah Microsoft :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

just watch out that if you don't want to install SP4 that if you use the windows update site that you deselect it.

I was building a server and had SP3 on it and somebody decided to install all the critical updates and installed the express install of SP4 with them.
    (express doesn't give you a backout afaik)

So now I have to rebuild the entire machine from scratch.

oooooh I could kill that somebody fellow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

we deployed sp4 from software update services to
    over 300 desktops since it came out

not a problem on any of them.

i havent had a problem on any custom build pcs ive seen either with sp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I installed it about 2 weeks ago on a few PCs, and haven't had any problems with any of them. I'm usually the type that would wait a while too, but I for some reason I was on automatic pilot the day it came out.

Downloaded
    Installed
    Oh Feck what have I just done!

But seriously, I'm not actually noticing any changes (for better or worse) in the last 2 weeks.

Another thing though, I've never (EVER) had a BSOD on any of my my Win2k boxes.

;-phobos-)

Advertisement