Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Wireless\Wireless Setup

• 28-06-2003 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I dont really have a clue how wireless works, so bear with me. This is what I need to do:

I have IBB Broadband internet setup on a linux server with a QOS thingy setup.

Now, I need to feed 3 desktops & 6 laptops a wireless internet connection from this linux server.

what do I need? Can I just stick a wireless PCI NIC in the server and et-voila?

also, some of the laptops may be Mac, are most wireless cards Mac compatible?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sounds like an interesting job ya got there!! any jobs :)

I would suggest the following:

An IEE802.1g Access Point(AP) that will remain permently connected to your wired LAN that the server is on. I presume have a wired LAN, if not, connect the Server and AP through a switch. This is the most recent standard and is more suitable for the large number of clients you are going to have. As far as I know, the more clients you have making use of the available signal, the data rate will get proportionally lower.

For each PC I would suggest installing a 802.1g Wireless NIC and then a PCMCIA card for each laptop also.

I would suggest setting the Wireless LAN up in infrastructure mode as oppossed to Ad Hoc mode.

The AP's manual should be able to fuill you in with the rest such as channels (between 11 and 13 different frequencies, all compnonets should be on the same), SSID's (sort of similar to the windows workgroup, all compnonets should be on the same) and WEP (encryption).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

cool, so 1 acess point 2 PCI NICS and 6 PCMCIA nics. cuala buala

cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look at www.dublinwan.org / www.irishwan.org

Security will be the big problem - also line of sight is a problem - a lot depends on the enviroment and range you intend to cover...

Old buildings have thick walls / new buildings may have foil insulation - neither are good

And the real bad news WiFi uses WEP for security - the 128 bit version has compatability problems between brands - and the 64 bit version uses a 24 bit magic number - leaving 40 bits for the encryption...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I'd post your question to the support section of www.IrishWAN.org or chat them up on IRC. Devore might remember the name of the *NIX guy in the Limerick audience last weekend. There was some discussion directly related to your question during the 2003 National Irish WAN Conference on Saturday.

Advertisement