Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need utility for this

Options
  • 28-06-2003 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

a boot floppy/cd with the following 3 requirements:
    1) be able to safely (preferably natively) read and write to NTFS partitions/filesystems
    2) be able to edit and save text documents, and be able to launch that with local admin account and password (have the user/login already)
    3) be able to read/write/delete files on the NTFS partition/filesystem.

Si there anything that'll do this? (recovery console on Win2k cdrom is something I've been meaning to try but have never had the CD with me when I needed it. Also, the cd will porbably make things more complicated and convoluted then they need to be)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bootable debian CD

Will read Fat / NTFS (even loads the driver for PERC2 raid on the fly) - will write to fat - not been brave enough to try NTFS write. can hexedit

Will connect to windows network and can use partition image tools.

Can use openoffice to do word/excel/powerpoint
    has loads of games

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

from a console prompt in windows - \i386\winnt /cmdcons - reboot and when you login to it - type help - this will add the command console - you can't do many things here - basically overwrite existing files and run console disk utils
    - you can't run any programs

There is a bug where if you use XP and 2K you can bypass password sometimes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

just like to make a public announcement

M$ - knoppix will be your user friendly doom

Muhahahaha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ok, I obviously didn't make myself clear enough :)
    I need a seperate book disk, totally independent of anything on the computer's hard drive, as Windows cannot be booted without a reformat.
    WHat happened was a partition was created in some empty space at the end of the drive, formatted etc.
    For some stupid reason Win2k decides to rename the C:\ partition to "2" as oppposed to the "partition(1)" in boot.ini.
    Windows now cannot find ntoskrnl.exe :)
    What I need to do is pop in a floppy disc, boot from it, and edit (literally) 2 bytes of data on an NTFS partition (ie, change the "1"s to "2"s.
    The file read/write/delete - windows explorer basicly - is not needed any longer, though the "Run as admin" is.
    I still haven't had a chance to try out the win2k console from the install disc. I assume if I'm doing a recovery I will have full privilidges over whatever i'm doing?

used to work in NT4 ...

format a disk in another PC with the same os
    copy ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini to the FDD and boot from it.

you will probably have to edit boot.ini to point to the appropiate partition...

Also on www.sysinternals.com get ntfsdos - this will allow you to boot up with a dos disk and read files from the NTFS partition - the ones to copy are the three above - this is in case it is a different os or sp level

(if you use scsi then you may also need to copy another file - can't remember)

for more info look up technet for the article on
    "booting from the dark side of a broken mirror" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sound :)

Advertisement