Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe - Cool or Naff?

Options
  • 28-06-2003 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Help me nail a buying decision

New Coupe FX 2.0 (can't afford the 2.7!)

Is the new Hyundai Coupe 2.0 FX 19 votes

Cool
    0% 0 votes
    Naff
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is that the one that looks like a Ferrari wannabe?
    Well its kinda cool for a Far Eastern car but I'd feel like I should be wearing a gold medalion and an Elvis wig if I were in one...:ninja:

Found it (I think)

hyundaicoupe1.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

2.0-Litre, 140 bHp. 16-Valve DOHC
    Auto 'Manumatic' transmission
    Sport-Tuned Fully Independent Suspension
    Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
    4-Wheel Disc Brakes
    15" Spoke Alloy Wheels
    Four Front Airbags
    Air Conditioning Power Windows, Locks and Mirrors
    Full Leather interior
    Cruise Control
    Remote Fuel Door and Trunk Releases
    Electric Rear Window Defroster w/Timer
    6-Speaker CD Player
    5 year warranty

All for less than 30K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I think it's somewhere in between cool and naff - edging slightly towards cool.
    However, I still wouldn't buy one. I prefer cars with a bit of strength in them - i.e. not far eastern cars.

The previous model is definetly naff - the design was (is) too fussy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I can't forgive it for being called the "Coupe". Why not just call it the Hyundai Car ffs.

I hated the styling of the old model, and though I'm kinda neutral about the new one, it's a lot of car for the money. Perhaps more importantly, women seen to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone remember the Fiat Coupe? I thought those looked cool, but... they're fiats, weh.

coupe1.jpg

• Advertisement

A friend of mine had an X1-9 for years, went like stink and we called it the X-1 Swine...great car for a hairdresser Porsche.
    salesforum_photos_25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I'm not too fond of the new Hyundai Coupe myself either, well it's an alright car, pull the birds alright ;) but more importantly its an alright looking car, but bit too pricey for the name?

Ahaha thats one funny looking car, the X1-9. must be very old, looks like it was made the same time as door wedges.

too pricey for the name

err...what else can you find me for <30K, sporty looking - must have automatic (gf american) with a decent amount of bhp.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sporty or sporty looking?
    anyway, sporty, less than €30K, auto (paradoxical having an auto sports car!) and decent BHP.
    Get a BMW e30 (80's model) M3 (the best M3 so far!)bmw_7_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Never liked the look of the old Hyundai Coupe, love the look of the new one. Not much power tho for 30k :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

KBannon is that your car ??

I tried getting an quote on a e30 M3 (80's model) giving my age as 50 with 30 yrs driving and nobody would quote me.

Ya feck the Hyundai, get a M3.

no I have a red 89' 320i SE but am planning on getting an e30 M3.
    If you want a good M3 ask on www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forum
    Killian
    320i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice car for the money and the 5 year (!) warranty must be comforting. If it was my choice buying a new car for under €30k, I'd go for a Skoda Octavia 4x4 RS 180BHP with a few extra's :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I can't undertand people spending 30K on a car like a Hyundai Coupe... imho its a horrible piece of equipment, they openly tried to rip off Ferrari and the Supra with the new styling, and failed...

sorry, really hate these cars - might be something to do with one of our finance guys who bought one and now thinks he has a ferrari. Either way - buying a new car only means you're the sucker who takes the hit on depreciation - there are 98-99 Hyundai Coupes in the Autotrader for 7-8K!

If you were prepared to go second hand like Killian said, there was a 1999 BMW 328i Convertible for sale in Joe Duffys for €27K I think...

....I can't undertand people spending 30K on a car like a Hyundai Coupe

Err..because it is a company car...30k is the limit.

ugh...hates that... still can't understand whay anyone would pay €30K for a Hyundai...

anyway, if you have to buy new, for your 30K I'd go for an Alfa 147 2.0 Sportivo - just under the 30K mark... and a lot classier

The Skoda Octavia mentioned below would be a very nice alternative too...

I need an auto (reread my post) the Selespeed is more than 30k...
    for an Alfa 147 2.0 Sportivo - just under the 30K mark... and a lot classier

It's a FIAT hothatch...not much class about that.

The Skoda...not bad but I was hoping to avoid the 'fleet' look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Originally posted by MadsL
    must have automatic (gf american)

very poor excuse,

teach the poor girl how to drive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Hyundai will not hold the value. Waste of time

You can consider 406 coupe which at leats has room on the back and still looks cool

taken from buy and sell:
    Hyundai Coupe 16 '98. 16v, 45k mls, NCT & taxed, fsh, Sony stereo, 17"/15" alloys, elec blue, Price: €5,600

Hyundai Coupe 2L '97. 49k mls, green, alarm, e/m, e/w, immob, c/l, taxed to 08/03, NCT to 07/04, c/coded, e/s/r, 10 CD changer, Price: €6,500 Conn and Leinster, Web

Hyundai Coupe FX Sport 1.6 '97. Red, e/w, e/s/r, e/a, e/m, a/b, alloys, rear spoiler, alarm, tax, NCT, 70k mls, immac cond, Price: €6,350
    Republic of Ireland

I know it's older model but will get you thinking

Sorry to disagree (thats what forums are for i suppose) but if its coming down to whats classy, the alfa, despite its underpinnings, has more class in its two front wheels alone than the hyundai ever will....

The 147 is widely acknowledged to be the best built Alfa in years - especially important for them since the 156 is/was a heap of ****e reliability wise...

If you still consider an Alfa to be a Fiat then its obviously not the car for you !!

You consider a Golf? You could get 1.6 or 1.9 TDi and have a bit of fun with the options list??

• Advertisement

The Golf is still fundamentally a hatchback, bear in mind that the gf's American - her fav car is a Dodge Viper - hence the search for something coupe like. 4 seats, auto, with a bit oomph..that doesn't look like shopping trolley.
    The 147 is widely acknowledged to be the best built Alfa in years - especially important for them since the 156 is/was a heap of ****e reliability wise...

Exactly, they still need to prove themselves. Although I'd love a Spyder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by MadsL
    - her fav car is a Dodge Viper -

OMG! I like the Viper too but point her at the fav car sticky for jebus' sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

A sports car is not supposed to be a rational choice, and the Hyundai is way too rational.

christ - my girlfriend is lucky to get inside my car - let alone have any say in picking what I drive!! :D

Can I repeat this to her Ken the next time I see her?

Yep!!

She hears it from me most days anyway - she wants me to get a red S2000, I want a Techno Violet M3 Evo... or maybe a Black S2000...

Shes not even allowed touch the stereo in the car... proper order!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KEGZ

The V6 is the only one worth a fukk in my opinion but i'm gonna go for a test run in it anyways just to see.

KEGZ

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

NAFF, NAFF, NAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFF :D;):D !

sorry but I hate this car!

it is like a nissan micra (granny-mobile!) putting on a ferraris body and trying to convince us its a sports car:D :D:D !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Hyundai will not hold the value. Waste of time

It's a company car, so depreciation does not matter at all - in that case I'd buy a 156 1.8 TS Sportivo right on budget. Spend another €300 of your own money to have the chip tuned to give about 160 BHP and you will be driving one hell of a car. My best m8 has one exactly like this and it seriously rocks. Similar enough performance as 320i (at €45k 50% more expensive!) The car is very heavy on the juice and you kind of have to get the higher octane as well, but I take it the petrol is part of the company car deal. :cool:
    Originally posted by Gmodified
    You can consider 406 coupe which at leats has room on the back and still looks cool

Beautiful car I grant you. Starts new from €40k plus, so not possible on budget of €30k. The 406 coupe is way overpriced for its capabilities as has been the case with Peugeot coupes for the last 40 years. Guess you have to pay for exclusivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by kdevitt
    Sorry to disagree (thats what forums are for i suppose) but if its coming down to whats classy, the alfa, despite its underpinnings, has more class in its two front wheels alone than the hyundai ever will....

Not to mention how aganisingly pretty it is (esp the 3 door model in red/black with the 16" alloys imo) there's nothing that comes close.

did anyone see clarkson reviewing the 147 gta last sunday? he spent the most part of 15 minutes saying how awful it was to drive & how the whole thing would probably fall apart after 5mins, but at the end of the day, he still wanted one. And it wasn't just clarkson who was smitten, so were all the other presenters, and if given the choice between a focus rs, golf r32 and the 147 gta, it'd be the 147 they'd all go for.

it's quite a car that can have that effect on three different people, it's something that only a few car manufacturers can do, Alfa is one of them, Hyundai is not.

i don't think its something however some people get & the fact that i have to explain leads me to believe you are one of these people :( So go ahead, buy the Hyundai, enjoy your 5 year warranty & your automatic gearbox, but every now and then, when you spy a 147 gliding past, know you're missing out on something very, very special.

alfa147_pic.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement