Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe - Cool or Naff?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

, know you're missing out on something very, very special

Yeah, you definitely will be missing this continuous service and frequent visits to garage which come standard with ALFA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My neighbour has that Hyundai model. It's actually a fairly nippy car. It would beat my m8's 2.5 litre Beamer (with turbo) 0-60 no problem. I think it's quite light though. However, I wouldn't be sure about its road holding compared to the beamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The fastest Hyundai Coupe (the 2.7 V6) is a relatively sluggish 8.2 secs 0-60 (sluggish for a 2.7 litre anyway), the 2 litre is well over 9 secs

The old 325i BMW (E30 -1983 - 1991) does it in slightly over 7 seconds, the E36, 1991 - 1999, and E46 ,1991 - present, does in in little over 7.5 seconds...

The Hyundai won't come close in any comparision - handling, build, acceleration... and if your mates 325i has a turbo theres going to be even more distance in between them... unless its a diesel of course?? Or hes telling the porky pies and its actually a 316i badged up as a 325i??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mickey_t

What about a Lexus IS200?? Its a fairly classy car.
    Its a good alrounder and has the reliability too. As for Beemers, I think they're a bit over rated. Got a spin in a '02 320 and there was very little poke in it. Maybe you'd have to go for a 325 if you were going for any of them! As for the Hyundai - I don't know - its probably a decent car but €30k is a lot to spend on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by mike65
    Is that the one that looks like a Ferrari wannabe?
    Well its kinda cool for a Far Eastern car but I'd feel like I should be wearing a gold medalion and an Elvis wig if I were in one...:ninja:

So true. When I see someone driving one, it's like they're saying "I wish I had a real sports car".

Just like when I see someone driving a Polo, it says to me: "I wish I had a Golf".

Look and this heap of crap:
    bmw_7_1.jpg

Now that's real wannabe-cool car.
    People who drive 80's BMW's need to realise that it doesn't make you cool just because it says BMW on it. Everyone knows you can pick one up for €500 in Buy & Sell. The design looks so dated too- but I guess they can still say to people that they drive a beamer even if it is a 20 year old banger.

• Advertisement

The fact that the M3 in the picture above is one of the best handling and performing cars ever put into production is obviously lost on you...

:rolleyes:

If you can find one for less than €10K over here please let me know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

... doesn't exist yet, but if it did, I'm afraid it would definitely list the Hyundai Coupé in the "naff" section. It really doesn't matter that the current model is less ugly than the previous model. The fact is, Hyundai is not a marque that inspires awe or admiration. The Hyundai Coupé is a "Rolox Watch" of the car market - a cheap immitation. Ferrari, Lancia and Alfa Romeo are names synonymous with effortless style and panache, excitement, luxury and class. It doesn't matter that FIAT owns or owned them - they have a pedigree and racing history that easily distinguishes them from marques such as Hyundai, and make notions like corporate structure merely incidental.

Having said that, I don't like the styling of the Alfa 147. I think the styling is pandering to the mass-market Peugeot 206/Ford Focus/Civic hatchback design trend.

I've always admired the 406 Coupé - clean and unfussy classical lines. Designed by the Italian design house Pininfarina, and it shows!

Oh yeah - and if you're going to buy a sports car - for the love of god - don't buy one with an automatic gearbox!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Been watching this thread for a few weeks now and working for Hyundai for 2.5 years now I have to say that the coupe is a "love it or hate it car"
    The new model in my opinion is a cash in/copy of the Celica...............But............. for reliability you cant go wrong---these things give no problems whatsoever.And if I was buying one Id stick with the 2.0l version(purely down to running costs) put a Nice body kit on it,18-19 inch alloys get it turboed and super chipped,and get the rev limiter taken off.
    Then performance wise it goes through the roof.We have one customer who has done all the above and his 0-60 is somewhere around 4-5 seconds with a top speed of 140+.
    And what else do you want for €35000 including all the above.Based on car being around 29000 with the kit already fitted and another 6000 to get it chipped,turboed etc.
    The 2.7 is the way to go and if its a company car Id definately recommend one since you are not paying insurance/petrol costs.The auto one is a great drive and fairly nippy for an automatic.
    Hyundai are up and coming in Europe and this year alone they are fifth in new car sales to date.The Santa Fe(Jeep) is the biggest selling SUV in Ireland and The US.

Originally posted by kdevitt
    The fact that the M3 in the picture above is one of the best handling and performing cars ever put into production is obviously lost on you...

:rolleyes:

If you can find one for less than €10K over here please let me know...

The fact that the "M3" is a dated looking, box-shaped, out of style, overpriced, wanna-be-cool mobile is obviously lost on you...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by herbie747
    The fact that the "M3" is a dated looking, box-shaped, out of style, overpriced, wanna-be-cool mobile is obviously lost on you...
    Given that I first mentioned the M3, may I ask what type of car you drive?

• Advertisement

herbie - you're an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Herbie you may agree with me on the Hyundai but I can't agree with you on the E30 BMW which was the last great 3 series
    and which I nearly bought into (only a 2 litre, mind) I just could'nt find the right mix of quality and price not to mention location but thats another thread....anyway back to the main plot, MadsL
    have you tested the coupe yet?

Mike.

To be honest, I haven't got a clue about the M3. Never heard of it until now.
    Originally posted by kbannon
    Given that I first mentioned the M3, may I ask what type of car you drive?
    I drive a Mazda Xedos 6, 2.0 V6, '97.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Yeah, you definitely will be missing this continuous service and frequent visits to garage which come standard with ALFA

..but so what? the point of my last post was that despite all its failings, the Alfa 147 has that certain cachet, that heart-over-head effect which no Hyundai could ever come close to mathching. Besides, those visits to the garage will be less frequent with a good mechanic. gerry campbell from ti autos on cowper st, dublin is excellent, he's been servicing alfas for the past thirty years so there's not much he doesn't know about them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The E30 M3 was a bit special alright - 238bhp from a naturally aspirated 2.0 4-pot engine. Funked up suspension to match then. Quite quick too, being much lighter than the current E46 M3.
    the Alfa 147 has that certain cachet, that heart-over-head effect

No it doesn't - it's downright ugly at the front, and the back is only ok. The Hyundai may be a hyundai, but it's a pretty shape, especially in darker colours, and handles quite well. What more could you want from a budget sportscar?

People seem to give Alfa's a great deal of leeway because it's an evocative marque, and once did make great cars; but that was the 60's, and between then and now, they've gone a long way downhill, and are only starting to climb back up again. When Alfa Romeos start winning group tests regularly and develop a reputation for reliability, then I might change my opinion of them, but until then, they don't rate any high than hyundai in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by Chimaera
    ..they don't rate any high than hyundai in my book.

thats your opinion of course and you're perfectly entitled to it, i however will stay on the 147's side as in my opinion Alfa Romeo is in a class of its own :)

I've heard horror stories about the Alfa 156 from several people I know who owned them (past tense!!), but the 147 has aparently shaken off the niggly problems Alfas suffer from...

Its a nice car - especially the GTA version, although one gripe I'd have is that it looks too much like a Fiat Bravo...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest, I haven't got a clue about the M3. Never heard of it until now.
    How can you participate in a discussion where someone wants a sporty car (or a hyundai coupe :D ) if you never heard about the M3?
    The original M3 which has already been discussed was / is an excellent sports car - designed for the track and was the track equivalent of the Impreza Turbo in terms of race performance!
    Furthermore, the E30 (the 'dated looking, box-shaped, out of style, overpriced, wanna-be-cool shape'!) is still desired (yes you may find some in Buy & Sell for nowt but you also see some in Autotrader for €8K (and Im not talking about the M3).
    They are a cult car with a huge following globally which will last for years. Since I bought my car (a 320i SE) about 3 years ago i have been asked to sell it about 5 times - how many times has that happened you?
    K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by kdevitt
    herbie - you're an idiot

For gawds sake the M3 is a motoring icon, a legend. Its boxy because everything was boxy then. Get a grip will ya! :confused:

The lastest Hyundai couple is a nice car. By all accounts (including the man tiff himself) its a tidy handling car with decent go. I don't see how it would see which way a 2.5 bmeer went unless the bmeer was sick though. The Hyundai doesn't inspire passion for me though. The first two versions are pig ugly though. :eek:

The Alfa 147 isn't a coupe, so why compare it to the Hyundai? That makes no sense. Its a lovely car to look at. Which is just aswell because you'll be looking at it (not moving) a lot. :D

The 406 is nice. Not worlds best handling car but decent all rounder. The diesel makes a great tourer. Ronan Keating has one so it will never be cool again though :(

Personally though they quite common the BMW coupes are the best. Handling is superb and with the right wheels and colours it can look fantastic. Bit pricy though. Theres a diesel one now too the 330d. ww)

Originally posted by kbannon
    How can you participate in a discussion where someone wants a sporty car (or a hyundai coupe :D ) if you never heard about the M3?
    The original M3 which has already been discussed was / is an excellent sports car - designed for the track and was the track equivalent of the Impreza Turbo in terms of race performance!
    Furthermore, the E30 (the 'dated looking, box-shaped, out of style, overpriced, wanna-be-cool shape'!) is still desired (yes you may find some in Buy & Sell for nowt but you also see some in Autotrader for €8K (and Im not talking about the M3).
    They are a cult car with a huge following globally which will last for years. Since I bought my car (a 320i SE) about 3 years ago i have been asked to sell it about 5 times - how many times has that happened you?
    K.

But your car looks really out of style too! And she ain't no M3. It's 14 years old- I'd say the interior is a real eyesore. Sorry but old cars do nothing for me. The newer ones are better in appearance and design, better engine technology and performance, etc!

Do people just approach you on the street and ask to buy your car? Maybe they're taking the piss.
    You can pick up a '93 320i SE in Buy & Sell for €4000, so why don't they just get and '89 themselves for €1000?
    Buy & Sell
    "BMW 320i '88. Red, taxed 8/03, NCT 6/04, driving like new, Price: €1,000 Contact: 087-6624485.
    Web"

• Advertisement

The E30 BMW isn't a modern car - but it is stylish. You can pick one up in the Buy & Sell for €500 alright, but it'll be a heap of sh|t. Its one of the few cars nowadays that is actually appreciating in value (once the condition is good)

The 93 320i SE in Buy & Sell for €4000 is an E36 car - a completely different model, so isn't actually going to appeal to someone who wants an E30!!

I'm renovating one at the moment - have it for a few weeks and have had two people try to buy it. Yes - they come up in the street, or email me, or whatever...

As for modern v older cars performance... the e30 320i (not to mention 318is, 325i, M3) will easily outperform most comparible modern cars - your Xedos included, its design will be long remembered, unlike some of the blancmange shaped vehicular atrocities that have been released in recent years, and serviced properly you can see well over 250K out of the engine.

Fair enough. Some good points. I wasn't aware of any of that. Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I was approached only last week outside my house by somebody wanting to buy my bmw e30 1990 with 83k on the clock. It is a very popular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

I was approached only last week outside my house by somebody wanting to buy my bmw e30 1990 with 83k on the clock. It is a very popular car.

Last year my E30 316i was sold within hours of it appearing in Buy and Sell... was nothing special either 137k, 4dr all electrics, sunroof, but I had 15 calls & 3 people call out to look before midday & I'm in the country! Wouldn't mind another one (325iS or an M) but couldn't justify 5k+ for a good 325 or the 12k for an M.

And as for the cool or naff Hyundai...... a bit cool if a girl owns it.... alot naff with a bloke behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My friend might not have been pushing his beamer very hard. The Hyundai coupe seemed quick.

Hyundai sell very well in Balbriggan because they are the only garage in the town. Nobody has anything bad to say about them. They have to be one of the most reliable cars you can get!

... Sorry but old cars do nothing for me. The newer ones are better in appearance and design, better engine technology and performance, etc!.....

Millions of car nuts the world over gasp and point at the heathen...

A design classic is classic forever. It never goes out of style. Its not always a question of something being "better". Older cars have more character and dare I say it more "soul". Some new cars also have it. But most don't.

For example, the last two version of the Golf GTI vs the previous two. But of course if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand. ...

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Millions of car nuts the world over gasp and point at the heathen...

A design classic is classic forever. It never goes out of style. Its not always a question of something being "better". Older cars have more character and dare I say it more "soul". Some new cars also have it. But most don't.

For example, the last two version of the Golf GTI vs the previous two. But of course if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand. ...

I never said that classic cars do nothing for me- I said old cars.

Jaguar D type longnose, Aston Martin DB5, AC Cobra 289- these are classic cars.
    An M3 is an old car. Does nothing for me.

Your talking about classic cars, and you use a Golf GTI as an example? :rolleyes:

Like I said...
    Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    ...if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand. ...

...your post sez it all....2 funny :D

Originally posted by RicardoRetardo
    Like I said...

...your post sez it all....2 funny :D

How about a straight-forward answer, instead of a smart*ss one?
    Instead of being a d*ck about it, why don't you explain what's wrong with my post?
    As*hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

Herbie

You havent a clue about cars!!! And thats been nice. Anybody who knows anything about cars will know that the e30 m3 is a motoring icon. There are several other of these cars Audi UR Quattro + Metro 6R4 (both box shaped) etc etc

I personally have an e30 m3 and its valued at €15k and its a 1988. Its one of only 501 made (its a particular model of M3) and my car will be long remembered and will be still running (220bhp) long after you ball of muck xedos is sitting in a scrap yard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement