Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe - Cool or Naff?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Austin Allegro = Old car

BMW M3 / E30 = Motoring Icon

The last of the E30 cars rolled off the production line 10 years ago - it was already a motoring icon having been in production for 10 years at that stage with 2.2 million units sold...

The 635csi that BMW made is another example of an instant classic, the 840/850i they made is the opposite imho... as said somewhere previously, it doesn't have the same soul... an 1993 850i that cost 100K when new is worth less than a 1988 M3...

No matter what anyone here says to you, you're never going to change your mind and find the M3 aesthetically pleasing... you're definitely in a minority of car enthusiasts in your opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by evoIIman
    Herbie

You havent a clue about cars!!! And thats been nice. Anybody who knows anything about cars will know that the e30 m3 is a motoring icon. There are several other of these cars Audi UR Quattro + Metro 6R4 (both box shaped) etc etc

I personally have an e30 m3 and its valued at €15k and its a 1988. Its one of only 501 made (its a particular model of M3) and my car will be long remembered and will be still running (220bhp) long after you ball of muck xedos is sitting in a scrap yard!

Oh, boo hoo. It'll hardly be MY Xedos when it's in the scrap yard. It'll be long sold at that stage. €15k? WOW! About as much as a new 206! Obviously a classic! Waaaaay out of my price range.
    I'm just glad I didn't pay that much for a 1988 BMW. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

Herbie
    your still a clown with no idea about cars!
    Your trying to compare a pug 206 to an m3?????? whats that about?

And of course its out of your price range because your driving a poxy mazda with aspirations for a hyundai!!

you crack me up man, you really do!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mickey_t

Herbie
    your still a clown with no idea about cars!
    Your trying to compare a pug 206 to an m3?????? whats that about?

And of course its out of your price range because your driving a poxy mazda with aspirations for a hyundai!!

you crack me up man, you really do!!!!

And not only that, its probably a 1.1 litre 206 hes comparing it to!

All joking aside though, the original M3 is regarded as one of the most enjoyable and rewarding cars to drive. That was one of the reasons for its success in touring cars in its day.
    As for the original Golf Gti, it was the first real gti, or hot hatch. It was the first of its kind. If that doesn't make it a classic what does??
    I think the point here is that a car doesn't necessarily have to be made by Jaguar, Aston Martin or Ferrari to qualify as a classic. And the chances of an average enthusiast owning an M3 or Golf Gti are way higher than them ever owning a Jaguar D type or an Aston Martin DB5!
    If I had €15k to buy either a 206 or an M3?? - all you get with the 206 is the '03 number plate, whereas with the M3 you get one of best cars ever made. I don't think anyone who would consider themselves an enthusiast would go for the 206...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Right here's the deal,

Argue all you want on this topic but keep your posts clear, concise and profanity free, with no personal attacks or I will be forced to lock this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Neil3030
    Right here's the deal,

Argue all you want on this topic but keep your posts clear, concise and profanity free, with no personal attacks or I will be forced to lock this thread.

My hero....:D

I went into a music thread and said the spice girls were better than Frank Sinatra would that be trolling I wonder? M3 vs 206/Xedos its equally absurd. Unless you rate mediocrity very high. I suggest you move the thread to "Humour" ;)

I'm not rating it in the same category as a 206 you idiot. Read my post. I only said that the M3 ('88/'89) is the same price as a 206 ('03)- so it's hardly a classic (IMHO) if it only costs €15k is the point I was making.

Anyway, I'm glad I drive a Xedos instead of a cr*p LOOKING 1988 Beamer. I honestly am. Even if I don't know much about "classic:rolleyes: " cars, I wouldn't pay that much for an old Beamer PERIOD. I just think they look dated.

What the hell is so special about it? Most of you are probably only saying it's a "classic" because everyone else is- you've probably never even driven an M3 (except a couple of you), yet you'll say "it handles so well" and "the performance is excellent".

I don't know why the rest of you are slagging my Xedos either- it's still a 2.0L V6- which ain't exactly no boy-racer granny mobile, and handles beautifully, and it's probably a better car than the rest of you drive- keeping in mind that I'm only 24. I'm not boasting, just making a valid point to those of you jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Back on topic;

What NEW, automatic/semi-auto car would you buy in the 30k range if not a Hyundai Coupe...

By the way your are all just comfirming what Top Gear noted about badge snobs;
    UK car buyers are such badge snobs that it seems the only way of a minnow succeeding is to remove the badge altogether. If only it were that simple - take Hyundai's Coupe for example. Here's a car that looks fantastic, but once its identity is revealed there's suddenly indifference. A trip to Thruxton race track saw our test car sandwiched between a Ferrari 575M and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage in the car park. Nobody was looking at those cars, because the Coupe was the centre of attention - until the badges were spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

no Herbie you don't understand. Nice as your Xedos may be it's ridiculous to compare it to an M3. The BMW is just a pure driving machine - it's a cliche but it's true. RWD, one of the best engines EVER, no compromise, they didn't even bother making it in right hand drive. Fabulous performance and handling but needs to be driven properly or it will bite. The boxy styling is actually part of the appeal. This is not some bloated poseur mobile we're talking about the looks don't matter it's the driving experience that counts. Actually in my view the E30 still looks good and a lot of people LIKE older cars with boxy styling and prefer them to the jellymould type cars of today. You may call it ugly but lots will disagree. No I haven't driven an M3 but I have driven other E30 BMWs and even they were pretty special and I know enough about cars and have read enough to understand the appeal of the M3. Oh yeah forgot to mention the racing pedigree of BMW eg the CSl batmobiles of the seventies, the mental F1 turbos of the eighties and so on. It all adds to the appeal of BMWs generally and especially the E30 M3. To be honest the fact that all this needs to be explained to you means you mustn't be a big time petrol head - that's fine. Your Xedos is a perfectly fine machine and if you're happy with it that's all that matters really but understand that there are people out there who would regard your car as mundane, boring and ordinary and would revere cars such as the M3

BrianD3

Xedos handles yeah like a barge, sold like crap because no one would touch it. Its an old mans car (who knows nothing about cars). Huge depreciation and hard to sell. No one wants them. Ever see many of them around? No? There you go. No ones slagging it off, the're giving it to you straight. For some reason your taking it as personal attack. You just don't want to hear the truth about it. Its fine for a family of 4 or some old bloke. But its a million miles from being an enthuasts car.

BMW motorsport (hence the "M") practically hand built the mk1 M3. The best engine and chassis designers designed it and put it together for specific purpose of motorsport. Most people haven't driven one because its very rare. Anyone of "note" says its the biz. Why would I not believe them? I've been told the earth is round and I've no proof of that either.

Price and age have f... all to do with something being a classic. The 206 could be 10 euro or a million euro. Its not within a million miles of the experience the M3 is at any price. You're so far from understanding that, its scary. You're not making any point that makes sense. Its just verbal diarrhea. All it demonstrates is that you know diddly squat about cars and you've terrible taste/judgement. Cool or what.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MadsL
    Back on topic;

What NEW, automatic/semi-auto car would you buy in the 30k range if not a Hyundai Coupe...

By the way your are all just comfirming what Top Gear noted about badge snobs;

Regardless of the badge for me it still not a looker. The inside is ok and the mechanics of it are much improved. But it doesn't stir the soul. What other cards are in this price range? The BMW is too expensive. The Celica has an awful interior. Is the Alpha Spyder around this price? The V6 is lovely. If I had the money I'd be going 2nd hand on a BMW I reckon. But you knew that when you said "NEW". Especially in a car nuts forum.

Herbie - cost isn't a major factor in whether a car is a classic or not - a concours quality MGB GT would come in at well under €15K, as would a variety of other cars...

Your point that
    Most of you are probably only saying it's a "classic" because everyone else is- you've probably never even driven an M3 (except a couple of you), yet you'll say "it handles so well" and "the performance is excellent".
    is so ridiculous it barely deserves comment, but here goes - I would class a ferrari 355 as being a fantastic performing and handling car - based on reviews and road tests, I amn't fortunate enough to have driven one, my opinion is still valid though... I am fortunate enough to have driven an M3, its an amazing adrenalin rush that very few cars can provide. It is a true sports car - which brings us full circle to the point of the thread - the fact that the Hyundai Coupe is not a true sports car, and never will be.
    I don't know why the rest of you are slagging my Xedos either- it's still a 2.0L V6- which ain't exactly no boy-racer granny mobile, and handles beautifully,
    i didnt personally mention your car, but the slagging may be something to do with the complete disaster that this car was for Mazda?? 70,000 units sold in total were a testiment to its mediocrity, and the Buy & Sell will turn up examples for the same price as a mid eighties E30.

@MadsL - I sincerly hope that the Top Gear crew were exaggerating or else they have no place on a car programme! Badge snobbery doesnt come into this at all as far as I'm concerned... I simply cant stand the Hyundai Coupe - its a bland car to drive, and a mess inside and out... unfortunately seems to be the way with a lot of modern cars which has seen nice models replaced with nasty successors, i.ie BMW 7 series, Renault Megane amongst others

I think badge snobbery is more common in the UK than in Ireland. heres lots of people love diesels and skodas. We like to get our value. Real or percieved. It does go on here too. But I think most would agree that the Hyundai Coupe is a fine car. Its just not quite a drivers car. Almost but not quite. Tiff on Top Gear said it was ok. Thats quite a positive comment I reckon.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Xedos handles yeah like a barge, sold like crap because no one would touch it. Its an old mans car (who knows nothing about cars). Huge depreciation and hard to sell. No one wants them. Ever see many of them around? No? There you go. No ones slagging it off, the're giving it to you straight. For some reason your taking it as personal attack. You just don't want to hear the truth about it. Its fine for a family of 4 or some old bloke. But its a million miles from being an enthuasts car.

Never said it was a "classic" or " an enthusiasts car". I just said that it's what I drive because someone asked me, and in my opinion- it's a good car. And it doesn't handle like a barge.

What car do you drive Ritardo?

Originally posted by herpes747
    Ritardo?

Such rapier wit :D A moon buggy you space cadet ww)

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Such rapier wit :D A moon buggy you space cadet ww)

Moon buggy? What a smart answer!

But eh, what do you drive Ricardo, since my Xedos "drives like a barge"?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

2 things to say.... the E30 M3 IS definitely a Classic car, you would be hard pushed to find anyone with a remote interest in cars to disagree!

& don't these 2 look just a weeeeee bit similar:

575m_2.jpg

1155-4.jpg

Anyhows.... tis all up to you at the end of the day, personally I wouldn't get one but hell I'm not you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Talking about the UK and TopGear, I clearly remember some crowd from some UK car programme going over to Germany a couple of years ago to actively try and find a good deal on a second hand M3 (E30). They were well chuffed to find one for DEM 28k, at the time the equivalent of GBP 10k (and as mentioned before, pretty much the same as €15k)

Anybody want to remind me of the details?

And yes, we are talking about the same 80s car LWD as mentioned above. Anybody that knows anything about cars will recognise that they were great at the time, have years ago become a classic and will still outperform many modern cars - what they are still worth proves this. If you like the look or not is a matter of opinion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

the Hyundai Coupe is not a true sports car, and never will be

So let me get this straight. It is not a true sports car because...you say it isn't. OK, define sports car...

I'll start..Websters dictionary..

Main Entry: sports car
    Function: noun
    Date: 1928
    : a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

So, this 2+2 seater, low slung, 0-60 in 8.2 secs, 135mph top speed car is ....what exactly?? And please keep the head and answer without bringing 80's BMW saloons, Ferraris or bloody Mazdas into it.

Look I'll spell it out;

Peugeot 406 €40,000+
    Alfa Spyder €45000+
    BMW 318CI AUTO 2 DOOR COUPE €45,300
    FORD StreetKa - No Auto Option
    HONDA S2000 €59,000
    JAG X-TYPE €40,000
    AUDI TT €49,000
    MERC 180 Auto €39,000
    TOYOTA celica €44,000

HYUNDAI 2.0 FX €28,325

a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

Low slung?? I could fit my fecking head in the gap between the wheel and the arch - the Hyundai Coupe is about as low slung as any other Hyundai, its suspension is far from being a sports setup.

Quick response?? 11.6 secs 0-60 from the 1.6 and 115 tops speed, 9.2 secs and 128 tops from the 2 litre and 8.2 with 136 tops from a 2.7 litre engine.... thats hardly performance thats going to set the world alight, and as for high speed driving, most 1.4 Honda Civics will top out at about 130MPH...

A good comparison for a another sporty family car is the Octavia 20V 1.8 RS - 7.9 secs 0-60 and 146 top speed...

The Hyundai is at best , as above, a 'sporty' family car.... its a compromise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the hyundai coupé is an awful example of tacky eastern cars.

if you have 30k, go and buy yourself something really nice with all the trimmings. just because the coupé has some nice lines, doesnt mean its a good car, and i can tell you its an awful drive.

nor would i buy an alfa.

i currently drive a BMW 3.18 touring and a 1990 mx5, and i will be honest, the BMW is one of the nicest rides around, and the mx5 is probably the best driving car i have ever been in. its just fun. and the coupé doesnt sit anywhere near either.

if you can get a BMW 3 series, do it. it wipes the floor of any other car in the class, otherwise, id say go for any mid range car with a whole lot of extras.
    and remember, german or jap

or just buy a focus RS for shíts and giggles, one hell of a car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mickey_t

What about the new Honda Integra - I think its out later this year... Similar engine to Civic type R but 20bhp more... (220bhp!)
    02.honda.integra-r.f3-4.500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

Herbie
    PLease dont cry - after all you are 24!!. You are right about the Xedos though - there is something special abou it - in fact it made a top 10 recently - the top 10 of cars that with ridiculous names that were a marketing flop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Madsl,
    Exactly this is 28,325Euro sports car imitation with no handling and high roof line. It suck big time together with your dictionary

It's a coupe , that's about it.

Herbie
    PLease dont cry - after all you are 24!!. You are right about the Xedos though - there is something special abou it - in fact it made a top 10 recently - the top 10 of cars that with ridiculous names that were a marketing flop!!!

Don't remember crying, but anyway. I'm curious to know what car you drive.
    Never said "there was something special about it", so if I never said that, what's your point with the above statement?

[EDIT]The motors board does not tolerate this muppetry[/EDIT]

any form of reasonable debate has obviously disappeared from this thread...

:rolleyes:

might be best to lock it / delete it / send it into orbit etc...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by kdevitt
    send it into orbit etc...
    along with the Hyundai coupe & mazda Xedos? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Locking it will suffice I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement