Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free WINNT password cracker

• 28-06-2003 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I need one of these for legitimate reasons a mate bought a 2nd hand POS laptop (seriously its in bits it whirrs ).
    Its a Compaq 300mhz with 32MB ram.
    But he wants it for web browsing and Word.
    But Winnt 4 is on it and its passworded ,the Laptop has no CD Drive so its a bit hard.

He wants to buy a cd drive but i dont think he should spend any money on it as its crap.

Anyone know one ?

Umm hope this is ok as its legitmate need not hacking Cash machines :D

kdjac

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it has floppy drive then check the files in the i386 folder - do a listing and find out which ones are missing from the CD - copy them over.... (of course this presupposes an i386 folder)

Can also use the interlnk/intersrv utility from DOS 6 to copy the i386 folder across from another PC using a laplink cable.

There are utilites to change the admin PW without hacking it - but can't be done from within NT..

Probably worth copying Win98 onto it - NT ain't really for surfing
    - ie just copy all the files from the windows and program files folders and then just sys the drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

fdisk the mofo and install an ntfs o.s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could take out the HDD and use a 2.5 to 3.5 converter to read it and sys it (not fdisk or format in case geometry is different) and copy mode.com on to it - mode.com can be used to copy interlink over the serial cable and then you can use interlink to copy whatever over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I thought of most of the above but i dont have a PC and this is his 1st.
    As im limited without CD drive if i format the HD i cant get a new OS on (i have win 95 on floppy somewere) i dont think he should spend any money on it as its really crap.
    So i was looking for one of those programs that comes on a floppy and reads the cfg files to get a password and login.
    Just tricky with not spending money and having no cd rom.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

i cant see any other way out of other than buying a cd rom drive. If it has network card then maybe you can use a bootable floppy disk. win 98 as long as the disk isnt NTFS and try deltree 'ing the folders and format MBR. i wouldnt do a full format as someone said it could be a different disk geometry.
    after the format copy the files across a network using dos and get win 98 running on it if u can. Again its a long shot and at the end of the day wont he need a cdrom drive at some point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Win NT stores its passwords in .SAM files
    basically youll have to boot with a floppy, these files to floppy and use another pc to crack the password which should allow you to access te win Nt system.
    Google is your friend.

i aint saying no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just delete the SAM files this will reset the password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

use nt password from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

if you dont have an ntfs editing of files boot disk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

or win2000 or xp as it happens.

it is a linux boot floppy , great stuff

M

Advertisement