Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco break the law

Options
  • 29-06-2003 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

<In case no-one reads the stickies>

Law on unit price display..

I've almost given up trying to convince Tesco that they should actually do this.

1. I spotted that their beer by the case was not priced. Told a staff member. Said they would deal with it.

2. Next day went in, not priced. Told a staff member. Said they would deal with it.

3. Two days later still not done, spoke to the Asst Manager, said he would deal with it. I pointed out that it should be priced per unit too or they risked a 3000 euro fine. He said he would deal with it. I also pointed out that his tomatoes, toilet paper and dish washer tablets also had no unit pricing and that the tomatoes were confusingly (misleadingly) priced. He told me they were sorting it out with the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs.

4. Was back about three days later. The beer was priced, but not per litre. Nothing else sorted out. Rang tesco head office and the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs, Tesco said they would look at it and the Trading standards officer said he would investigate and report back to me.

5. Back into Tescos a few days later. I start to see more violations (almost all the pre-package 'finest' fruit/vegetables has no unit pricing - tomatoes are twice the price pre-packed!!) I speak to the manager again - he says that Trading Standards have given them the all clear.

6. Tesco head office send me an email that states that all their shelf edge labelling complies with the law.

7. I have still had no response from trading standards.

In the meantime it seems that Tesco (and I have now checked several stores) have decided that they are above the law when it comes to certain pre-packed vegetables and fruit. Why is that Tesco?...is it perhaps that your profit margin is MASSIVE on pre-packaged class 1 goods?? Is it because you charge twice the loose price for some items? Is it a coincidence that every store I have checked has the same 'mistakes' in price labeling or blatant policy.

This is the largest retailer in Ireland. Trading Standards should be all over them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

U obviously have some time to spend. Jeez if we could all do that in Superquinn, Dunnes and M&S's the world will be a better place,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not that much time. I do my shopping in Tesco.

3 conversations in Tesco.
    2 phone calls.

If everybody did this there would be no way that Tesco could get away with breaking the law this blatantly.

But the real point is we shouldn't have to. I've pointed this out to trading standards and NOTHING has been done. what do I have to do next - ring the gardai???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SAD

Well fu.ck you jesus, that's a typical bloody attitude...the I can't be arsed to complain even though I'm being screwed right in front of my nose...

I'll just pay over the odds for anything then will I...my food, my rent, car insurance, internet access, I lie back and not say a word about having any rights as a consumer, you shaft me all you want, I'll pay it, sure lets go for an pint, sure I haven't a clue how much it will cost me, nah I don't need a receipt. You just charge me what you like and I'll look the other way, OK?

Now THAT is sad. Perhaps when you grow up and move out of your mammy's you'll know the value of money. Until then shut the fcuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

I'll just pay over the odds for anything then will I...my food, my rent, car insurance, internet access, I lie back and not say a word about having any rights as a consumer, you shaft me all you want, I'll pay it, sure lets go for an pint, sure I haven't a clue how much it will cost me, nah I don't need a receipt. You just charge me what you like and I'll look the other way, OK?

Are you one those people, Who have to turn a light switch, on and off 17 times everytime they enter a room, otherwise evryone you know and love .........will DIE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

buy from LIDL

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by yankinlk
    buy from LIDL

Absolutely. Take your business else where. That'll wake tesco up more than just complaining to them. But fair play for trying to get them to change. But you're facing an uphill struggle.

The good value things in tesco are

a) milk at 1.14 for 2L - best price *ever*I only ever buy my milk in tesco

b) ice cream - tesco soft scoop - you get a huge tub and it's only 1.xx (can't remember but it's great value)

c) wallis paracetamol (12 tablets) pack for 0.99

d) their orange juice used to be great value, but then they put the price up. but it was quite funny, they put the price up, then put a huge sign beside it saying "great value", and they were sold out.

Don't buy any fruit/veg/meat in tesco unless you like being fleeced blind.

Where I live (in blanch) we have a great fruit and veg shop called Justins in the Blanch village, they sell really cheap fruit and veg. We'd get all our fruit and veg there. They do a great business.

I'm not mad on a lot of Lidl products, but they have some really high quality ones at good prices. Haven't been shopping there long enough to remember the prices, but look out for

a) light cheddar cheese - this is the nicest cheese i've ever had, and about half the price of tesco

b) big 1.5 L orange juice, lovely stuff

c) wafer thin smoked turkey breast - this is the most gorgeous high quality meat I've ever gotten, i just wouldn't go through the week without this in my fridge, you have to try it.

d) coleslaw - good price and nice

mmm I'm hungry now.

The point I'm making...(perhaps too longwindedly or pedantically for 19 year old students)...is that;

1. Tesco are breaking the law, not just Irish law but also EU law.
    2. Trading standards have effectively told them that's ok.
    3. WTF????

I would just loved to have seen the face on the manager you spoke to in Tesco's.. I reckon he would have fell over laughing after you left. I worked there for 4 years in the past, I would have dragged you out of the shop if you bitched about it to me.

As a 19 year old student you have 50 more important things to worry about. I have just completed a 4 year computing degree and I still dont have time to worry about nonsence like that. I mean complaining that they are showing the cost per unit on their shelf talkers.. Like come on, a 90 year old homeless granny wouldnt even complain about it.. Do the maths for god sake!

Regarding them breaking the law and you not standing for it.. Have you ever broke a petty law, I reckon ya have and you wouldnt appreciate some snotty nosed student reporting you for breaking the law!

If trading standards have said it is ok, then it is ok. Buy from LIDL my arse too!!!!!

Also this would fall under the category of civil law and not criminal law..... Thus you cant call the Gardai.

Regarding learning the value of money, I have been working from the day I turned 16. Worked through my Junior Cert every night, through 5th year, Leaving Cert, Cert, Diploma and now Degree.. So ****kkkk off..

You probably dont even have a job, and if you do you probably wont work more than 10 hours a week, only work Saturdays and have never paid for anything in your life... Monkey!!!!!

Value of money, my arse!

• Advertisement

Yes, only 19 year old students get bored with long winded statements and pedantics.

So your point is that you don't mind being fleeced on price, just once they fleece you in accordance with the law. Right, well why exactly haven't you been back onto your Trading standards officer?

... last time I try to help some crazy person save on their shopping bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Also this would fall under the category of civil law and not criminal law..... Thus you cant call the Gardai.
    Regarding learning the value of money, I have been working from the day I turned 16. Worked through my Junior Cert every night, through 5th year, Leaving Cert, Cert, Diploma and now Degree.. So ****kkkk off..
    You probably dont even have a job, and if you do you probably wont work more than 10 hours a week, only work Saturdays and have never paid for anything in your life... Monkey!!!!!
    Value of money, my arse!

Hmmm. Bit stressed out then JtG , take some happy pills before you emerge again as an economic commentator.

Madsl pointed out that Tesco were in widespread breach of trading standards and that he had tried to do something about but was not getting much backup from officialdom, fortunately there are some public mided people such as your good self around to shoulder the burden

Had I read this earlier I might have caused some grief in my own local Tesco as well ....must remember next week:D

Have you thought of Joe Duffy or Marian Finucane then Madsl, you have done the research for them if ya see what I mean.

Nice One, Played

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rational_bloke

You are all obviously failed businessmen that are bitter of the success of corporate giants such as Tesco and I think you all need to realise that you will never emulate their success in the market place without out-smarting the lowest common denominator and making them over-spend as much as possible.

Why don't you all just keep the law and be nice to fluffy bunnies and the like and spend the rest of your lives on the dole, because if you keep your current attitude it's all you'll ever amount to!

Bloody students!!!

With all due respect, we all have more important things to worry about. The poor bunnies like!

Originally posted by rational_bloke
    You are all obviously failed businessmen that are bitter of the success of corporate giants such as Tesco and I think you all need to realise that you will never emulate their success in the market place without out-smarting the lowest common denominator and making them over-spend as much as possible.

You learn how the English language works first seeing as your first post is a risible concoction. Stick to short constructs initially. I agree or I don't agree would do in your case.

Then try to pretend you are rational. Love the sig, muppet.

M

I think it's also important to note that most of the people posting on this board (with the noted exception of Jesus_thats_great) will have to leave soon to hug all their trees before bedtime!!

19 year old student, should you not be out having a good time instead of annoting some poor tesco manager? You really need to get laid.....and soon for the good fo mankind.

A man that calls himself Muck and believes in the power of the Almighty Joe Duffy is trying to disrespect me?

I laugh at the thought!

Get back to the dole Q mate!!

I seriously can't believe a 19 year old student is so concerned about this. I can just imagine what he will be like in 30 years time. I reckon he will be chasing kids away from the front of his house or calling the garda because kids are playing football on the street. Just enjoy your life while you still have one dammit!!!!

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

JtG and Rational_Bloke - what the hell is your vendetta with this guy? Your last posts have seemingly had nothing to do with the topic at all, you're just laying into him for the sake of it now.

He's complaining about a law that's being broken. Oh my god, he's not the typical Irish moaner-who-doesn't=actually-do-a-damn-thing - burn him at dawn.

Honestly, it's you two who need to get lives instead of picking on 19 year old students and defending the "poor tesco managers".

As yankinlk said: shop in LIDL

As nahdoic said: Buy the 1.5L orange juice, it's really nice.

Give 'em hell over this one... hell, they're already in hot water over false advertising aren't they? Might as well make it worse :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rational_bloke

Why don't you all just keep the law and be nice to fluffy bunnies and the like and spend the rest of your lives on the dole, because if you keep your current attitude it's all you'll ever amount to!

Bloody students!!!
    WTF?

Madsl is making a fair point. They're breaking the law. They're not pushed about it. The ODCA doesn't seem to be that pushed about it either and that's a serious problem.
    Originally posted by NoelRock
    As nahdoic said: Buy the 1.5L orange juice, it's really nice.
    Mmmm, I've three litres of the stuff here.

• Advertisement

There are reasons that there is nothing being done about these laws being broken.

The fact that Tesco is making so much money from the lowest common denominator means that the governement is taking in 21% of this. So as opposed to the Government WASTING PUBLIC MONEY by suing a huge company like Tesco (and most probably losing) they are happy enough to sit back and watch that VAT roll in!

And personally, as a working tax-payer and firm believer in capitalism and globalisation (unlike you smelly hippy student types), I think they are absolutely right to do so.

Both politically and economically!

After all, where do you think your dole/grant money comes from?

Why would someone call themselves rational bloke and then produce some of the most irrational statements I've seen in a while.

he couldnt sign up as arsehole or gob****e because those usernames are already taken :D'

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think it's unfair also, mabey you should complain about the ODCA to the Ombudsman or whoever will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sorry Jesus-Thats-Great and Rational-Bloke, but I'm forced to agree with Muck here. I too have been a helpless victim of Tesco's evil pricing regime.

I run a small terrorist outfit in the countryside, and frequently in the past I have been forced to buy guns and ammunition from my local Tesco outlet. I am simply appalled by the lack of standardisation in their pricing, and their inability to declare the price of symtex and ammunition by the pound\clip. I have tried reasoning with the manager several times, only to be told that I am a worthless piece of whining sh*t, and that he will personally "blow my f***ing knees off!". Understandably I am a little upset by Tesco's lack of customer service in this regard. Also, I find their incredible rip-off prices for crack cocaine quite surprising in the current economic climate.

In my efforts to redress the balance towards the small-psychopathic-terrorist-leader, I have contacted the Gardai and informed them as to the scandalous behaviour of Tesco in this regard. However, I was told by the Garda in question that I was in danger of being arrested, and they'd find out who I was, and lock me away for a long time. This is just another example of a state body siding with the large conglomerate against the small businessman!!! I think it is a disgrace, and I believe my next move will be to inform the Garda ombudsman. I have every confidence that I will eventually achieve my goals of becoming the most pedantic small-time terrorist leader in the world!

Did I forget to mention that I live in my own crazy little world with nothing better to do than complain about Tesco's shocking pricing system for 3 (YES 3!!!) distinct products? Well, there you go.

And to think I call myself a hippy! Some people are a disgrace to the entire movement... *sigh*

You have my sympathies if 9mm mutates into "full nine inches" on the back of the pack Mr_A . Tesco would consider this consistent labelling of course.

Have you asked Tesco to help sponsor your most recent decommissioning campaign...maybe in their car park on a saturday afternoon? They like to help the local community or so they say.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What's the deal with all this anyway Muck? It's my working theory that you MUST be some kind of really pissed off ex-Tesco employee with a mammoth grudge that you just want to get off your chest, but you just can't figure out how...

My personal suggestion is about 50lbs of symtex. It does exactly what it says on the tin. That is, if you can trust the tin. Perhaps Tesco have cunningly repackaged the tin in a coup against my activities. Perhaps the non-priced Tomatos are part of a covert plot to force us into buying Florida tomatos instead. Perhaps its Tesco's aim to de-value the Euro against the Dollar, so they can clean up on the currency exchange, and make billions whilst laughing at us poor plebs with our lower-grade, over-priced Florida tomatos. My God, its all starting to make sense! Tesco were the "men behind the grassy knoll"! Osama Bin Laden is a Tesco employee!!!! AAAARRRRRRRAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I say shoot yourself - its the only rational way to escape the impending evil of Tesco ruling the known world.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

fair play, for someone out there noticing that the supermarkets are overpricing us and actualy doing something about it. Keep up the good work .

its not overpricing as such

Tesco is big enough to get 375g cornflake packs from kelogg when centra gets 400g packs (this is an EG example). Dunnes may have a 425g pack for example.
    To provide a basis for comparison between themselves and centra and dunnes they are supposed to print price per 100g along with the item price on the label. That is the new law and the reason behind it.

Madsl had pointed out that this was not happening (fair play) and for some reason this has brought out a scutch of obnoxious muppets to attack him/students etc....one or two of whom are probably guilty of sharp practice themselves.

As for me Madsl, I just shop around and buy the SAME beer off Lidl cheaper (the tesco orange pack and the dunnes white pack are smaller and dearer than the Lidl red pack) the beer is all brewed in a brewery in Calais so it is directly comparable.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the irish public are being ripped-off in every single sector to insane proportions be it property (caused by arsehole invetors buying houses for their darling children and driving the prices skyward for the rest of u + tax), services or retail eg: tesco. shop at aldi or lidl. Irish people must look like complete chumps to the rest of Europe. if someone i germany was charged 80euro for a meal for two and a bottle of house wine in a mediocer restaurant, they just wouldnt pay.

tesco's questionable pricing strategy is just another symptom of greed-culture ireland.

Advertisement