Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco break the law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Some support at last, Thanks.

OK, those who think this is ridiculous consider this;

This law was passed in order that you can clearly see the price and don't have to stand there and multiply 2.31 by 0.45 in your head to get the price per kilo or whatever.

Now you shouldn't have to do that, so you can shop and see what is best value, right...everybody, from the 19 yr students to the eighty year old homeless grannies mentioned here.

Except Tesco have decided that they can't be bothered to do that for all of their items despite what the law says. They somehow feel that if they put it in a pack they can just stick a price on it and flog it. Meanwhile Tesco legal are arguing with the ODCA about what the law means.

Now, muppets consider this: Tesco have no quibble policy which states that if you are asked to pay more at the checkout than is displayed on the shelf they will give you that item free with no quibble.

Yesterday, shopping normally - not stalking tesco managers (that's fridays usually ;) ) One of the things I was buying was unpriced, I was asked to pay for it at the checkout and so asked for it free under the 'no quibble' policy, and got it free 'without quibble'. So the next time you see a crate of beer unpriced in Tesco...or a computer.:D

For those of you that think it is somehow sad to care about consumer rights, consider which is sadder. Posting about corporate abuses of the law or posting to attack someone who actually does something about it. /me looks at JtG...Is totally awed that he works for Vodafone tech support and reminds us at every opportunity.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Madsl, good job .
    rather you then me for investing the time to make the calls and harass the TESCO employees. I couldn't be arsed to do this BUT that doesn't mean I am happy people like you are out there.
    It's people like you that protect my consumer rights while I sit behind my pc playing another computer game.

People like Jesus..well they just want to moan and bitch about everything and then also want to moan and bitch to the people doing something against it.
    People like Jesus here, that's what makes this country react so slow and badly to changes, always complaining and never doing something constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rational_bloke

MADSL : It is clear that you are sadder! Once again I think that it is blatently obvious that you have no life, no friends and nothing better to do with your time! Why don't you just sit back, and stop being jealous that somebody else has figured out how to scam the system and make themselves rich off the back off it!

If you have such a problem with the breaching of consumer law then why not open a competitor to Tesco and do everything by the book?

I would absolutely love to see how long it would take for your business to fold as you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in terms odf economics.

As for your legal statements: It appears that the most in-depth research you've ever carried out is a Leaving Cert Business Studies book.

Get a life and sort out your jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

I agree with Madsl.

to sit back and do nothing is almost the worst thing you can do.

the worst is to sit back and complain about those who do do something about it.

just because a company can get away with something does not mean that we should take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rational_bloke

I f any of you had any business acumen you would have nothing but respect for Tesco.

Why don't we just scare them out of the country and lose all the VAT they take in and pay to the Government!

There's a clever idea!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Regarding my mentioning where i work, I do this to back up the information I provide. Its not as if I like this job or even consider it a good job. The only reason I am here was as a part time job while I persued my education. Its a ****ty job.. So thats clears that up!! Mind you, just because it is a ****ty job does not mean I have not learned from it nor does it mean I cant back any information up that I provide in posts with that fact.

Regarding just sitting back and letting people blatantly ignore the law. I am all for people complaining when it is a worth while cause. Just because it is a law does not mean it is a good law. But one of the main basis for this complaint was the they did not show the per unit or per gram prices on the shelf talker. This is not a worth while cause.... There are so many more important laws that are being broke in this country that we need to worry about first.

While I did resort to insults (I wish I didn't for credibility reasons), it really is a sad day when a 19 year old fella has nothing better to do than nag some already well stretched Tesco employee over something so trivial. Your right, the shelf talkers should be updated, but is it worth the stress or hassle. The most you are gonna loose is a few pence, go annoy some insurance company, bar owner, the goverment, Microsoft or Vodafone at that matter.

The ironic thing is that Tesco is still one of the cheapest supermarkets out there, Superquinns can be anything up to 20% more expensive. You can go to Aldi or Lidl is you like, but the majority of products there are only slightly cheaper and are no where near the same quality than those that Tesco offer. Choice is a wonderful thing, instead of moaning in a forum throught keyboard, let your wallet do the talking and just change supermarkets.

I really hate when people get so hung up on silly reglulations passed by some fat cat in Brussels. Again I am guessing these pricing laws were pushed through by the EU. Like some of the other stupid laws they pushed through!

I think we should just end this now, apologies for the insults but I think you need to worry about something more important.

I dont have a chance to worry about Tesco's, I have Mr. Angry living next door trying to blow up tinned Florida Tomatoes. I am washing my car 4 times a day at this stage!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus and Rational are the same person. (As if you needed me to tell you that).

Discussion WILL be civil and if you dont agree with someones actions you criticise those actions rationally (lol) rather then attacking the person.

"Both" have been banned from boards for breaching the civility rule mulitple times and for creating multiple accounts.

Anyone who needs a to create a second account to have someone to agree with him and then goes on to call his target "sad" is well... sad. :)

DeV.

Why don't we just scare them out of the country and lose all the VAT they take in and pay to the Government!

Twit. We pay VAT regardless of where we buy our groceries. If Tesco closed up shop we'd hardly stop eating.

I don't want to be a grocer, I'm quite happy with my current career.* I do however spend a lot of money in Tesco mainly because they are the closest supermarket to me. When I shop I tend to try and get the best value (otherwise I would be an idiot) I'm lazy, I want prices labeled so that I don't have to keep working out 'how much is that a kilo or whatever'

I'm just pointing out to you that Tesco are in breach of consumer regulations when it comes to unit pricing and they don't seem to care.

I'm also pointing out to you that you can get free beer in Tesco the next time they mess up their pricing. If you have a problem with me posting that then you clearly haven't a clue. Maybe I should post it in Bargains?

*(I am NOT a 19yr old student - reading carefully is a useful skill )

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I must admit I've had a good laugh reading all the posts on this thread. Everyone seems to have their points, whether I agree with them or not. I respect Madsl for standing up for his rights in principle but I think you're taking this too much to heart.

And DeVore, I know for a fact Jesus and Rational_Bloke are two, completely different people. Ah crap, Mr Angry just blew up more tomatoes!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

you're not point out anything to him. He's in "prison" for the moment for re-nedification.

I, on the other hand, am very very interested in getting free beer.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Ouch DeVore...

Unban him (when he apologizes) - at least he's useful in Wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KAKS

A POST ON BEHALF OF JESUS

THIS IS JESUS TYPING... SORRY FOR THE SLAGGING! I AM NOT RATIONAL_BLOKE EITHER....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

multiple identity #3 maybe?

M

Just got this from the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs;

Dear **************

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Tesco.

This office will investigate the matter raised by you. I should explain while it is the policy of the Office to follow up on all complaints it is not possible because of the volume of correspondence required to revert back to every complainant.

Of course the Office will contact you if the need arises either in the course of or on completion of the investigation.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

it is not possible because of the volume of correspondence required to revert back to every complainant
    :rolleyes: I know nothing of the English of which you talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I think DeVore got confused because I think there are multiple people from that house all using the same IP address.

You'll never make it as a detective, good thing you have your own company, huh.

Easy there Muck, don't kick a man (or multiple personality sufferer) when he's down.

lol
    senior customer service manager in Voodoofone

(although I know her as well...she has the same first name as that Canadian singer wot sung the Titanic theme)

I only created this account to issue an apology as requested. Even though I already apologised for any insults a few posts previous to this, I intended not ever using this account after the FIRST post.

But I have been unable to post a reply using my own username so I have been forced to use this once again. Hopefully for the last time again.

I appreciate a bit of slagging for one, I do like idle treats also. Lets just hope they remain as idle threats, for my sake............ :ninja:

I have a feeling that JtG will be back soon, grovelling to the max and trying to sound reasonable and well-informed.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Interesting debate! :rolleyes:

I think Madsl has made some valid points and fair play to him for making the effort to point Tesco's errors out to them. I'm just as picky about prices cos basically I can''t afford not to be. However, I haven't been proactvie about it, glad some people are though!

Originally posted by KAKS
    I only created this account to issue an apology as requested. Even though I already apologised for any insults a few posts previous to this, I intended not ever using this account after the FIRST post.

But I have been unable to post a reply using my own username so I have been forced to use this once again. Hopefully for the last time again.

I appreciate a bit of slagging for one, I do like idle treats also. Lets just hope they remain as idle threats, for my sake............ :ninja:

I'll unban your Jesus account. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced you are not Rational too so he's staying banned.
    If "he" wants back he can mail me.

DeV.

Quality, I will behave from now on so... Will you delete this account so!

...back on Topic...

I needed milk, but happened to see that a case of wine was unpriced (no SEL, no price on the product). Interesting conversation at the checkout of course when I asked for it free in accordance with Tesco's policy.

Anyway I didn't get it ...but had a good chat with the manager who tells me that "There's no legal requirement to display a price" and "Oh, we have a year to complay with the unit pricing legislation, the Govt always gives at least a year."

Not what Mary Harney told us in January; (my bolding)

The Tanaiste said: "There has been widespread consultation with all trade representatives and retailers have known for some time that these changes were coming. We are giving them until 1 March to adapt their pricing systems to the new rules and I am satisfied that this is more than enough time. From that date onwards there will be no excuse for failing to comply with the rules. Consumers should be vigilant and where they notice that prices are not being displayed they should report this to the Director of Consumer Affairs."

"And lest there be any doubt, the basic requirement to display prices applies to everything from washing machines to furniture to basic foodstuffs on the supermarket shelves. Goods sold over the internet or by mail order catalogue are also covered. Everything must be clearly priced," the Tánaiste stressed.

Tesco are currently running a health check systems throughtout all their stores. The purpose of this is to ensure all Tesco's policies and various legal obligations are being adhered too. I happen to be very close to one of the 5 people running this so I will mention it to him over dinner ;o) I would say who it is but I would be accussed of bragging again or be threatened with his manager

You are also right about a requirement for everything to be priced! I am being nice now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Originally posted by rational_bloke
    The fact that Tesco is making so much money from the lowest common denominator means that the governement is taking in 21% of this. So as opposed to the Government WASTING PUBLIC MONEY by suing a huge company like Tesco (and most probably losing) they are happy enough to sit back and watch that VAT roll in!

Seeing as how Tesco are from across the water (and I therefore try to shop at Dunnes) will that money not be going to Blair, rather than Bertie?

it was the only vaguely interesting point he made

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Seeing as how Tesco are from across the water (and I therefore try to shop at Dunnes) will that money not be going to Blair, rather than Bertie?
    Naw, they pay Irish VAT

I think bringing the whole British stuff into it is a bit silly.

A large majority of this countries infrastructure has been funded by foreign investment. Myself, Feyla, rational_bloke and Mr. Angry are all from Dundalk, which is possibly the biggest anti-british town in Ireland, and we have not even mentioned that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Although now that you mention it, Mr Angry did seem fairly keen to bomb Tescos..................:D

Advertisement