Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead or Pining?

• 29-06-2003 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Compaq Proliant 800 server (wot I pulled out of a skip) and have replaced a few bits...

problem is it seems to boot ok power LED, flashing HDD Led, but no video output at all.

Is it likely that the mobo is dead (after all it was in a skip) ?? or just pining for the fjords...

Any thoughts on lashing in a video card? I'd love to get this going (dual processor capable, loads of Ram slots on the mobo)

Worth poking around further or just chuck it back in the skip???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

no harm in trying really, you should be able to find an old pci graphics card to test it with for next to nothing...
    try the wanted forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah go for it :) u could get a SiS 32MB PCI in Marx Computers for 45 euro i think, probably cheaper other places, good luck with it. Give it a try might be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Yeah you lucky B*****d just throw a PCI graphics card.

But there is a small problem?

Mobos usually end up in the skip for a good reason.

Best of luck anyway !!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hmmm...there's an ATI 3D Rage chip already built into the mobo but i have no video signal, tried flipping the dip switch, but I can't even get the bios up. Is this mobo beyond hope?

Don't want to spend money on a dead mobo (even if it is a dual job and I 'reclaimed' a matched pair of PII's the other day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

cycles of 8 beeps for a graphics problem.

Test to see if the mobo is fried; take out the RAM and boot. if you get a plethora of beeps; all good. If it doesn't complain, it's FUBAR mobo and/or FUBAR proc.

I've an ass-load of old ISA & PCI graphics cards if you want a cheapo to test...

RC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Cheers Disco. Spot on.

Guess what. I've got a very large paperweight. Oh well back in the skip then. At least there was a PIII 500Mhz attached when I found it. That works:D

Advertisement