Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 People

Options
  • 29-06-2003 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hey all i have BF1942, and Road to rome, I have not got any patches due to i have 56K and they would take like 20 hours to d/l. Anyway, I Have a P4 2.8GHZ, 512DDRam, 120gb harddrive but i have a Geforce 4 mx 440, I cannot play 64 people on high without the framerate going all sluggish. Is it because of my card? Im thinking of getting Geforce FX 5200 i know its noisey that doesnt bother me but if i got it will i be able to run 64 people fine on high settings? Thnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its not the PC ,its the 56kness you really need a BB or ISDN to play this game right.
    Your getting massive lag due to 56k and a 64 man server only seriuously high connections can support a 64 man server.

Check the stickies there are some 56k freindly servers posted in it and try and play on them if the IGN one is still online thats your best bet its Irish and 56kers can play with decent pings.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I dont play it online for that very reason cuz it needs alot of MB o play and the 56K will jus buckle under the pressure, In the Post above i was reffering to single player

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

It's because of the amount of bots that the CPU is working for. It's working out stuff for all of them in there. So if you have 63 bots in there that's a lot of processing needed and hence why your framerate seems reduced because the CPU is so busy its slowing down the game to try process everything.

Try playing with less.

Myself, I don't play with more than 23 bots for that very reason and I'm on an Athlon XP 2100+

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Are you then I guess still running on v1.0? If you want any updates or mods send us a PM and i'll send a CD out to you with a bit of stuff on it*.

I run an AthlonXP 1600+ with 256 DDR Ram, i can get about 28 or so bots running totally smoothly, once the game loads all you need to do is give it a few min and its settled down. I would never really advise running a 64man bot lan, though i have done myself on Omaha once and had a lot of fun [I had my PC plugged into 32" TV :D ].

Also, you are limited on where you can play while online and 56k'ing. I only really play on Irish, UK and Boomtown servers as i get the best pings from them.

*I may be unable to send the CD for reasons and satisfaction not guaranteed. This does not affect your statutory rights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I got a CD here (which I got off winters) which has the full 1.4 BF patch (latest one), the latest DC, and the latest EoD. If you want PM me your address and Ill send them to you on monday (big LAN over the weekend, 140 man, may need it for that).

As for bots, on a 2.8ghz athlon you should be supporting approx 25 bots with high graphics settings with little/no noticable FPS drop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

how much bandwidth would a 64player irish server requier dya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Id say for any real decent running youd need..... Broadband at least :/

naw, i mean to actually run the server. i am interested in setting one up sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Thats what I mean. Also youd need a dedicated server tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I would guesstimate somewhere in the region of 400Kps (big K) of upstream bandwidth is required for a 64player server.

I came to this number as I noticed my own connection to BF uses about 5Kps. 64 times me is 320Kps. The extra 80Kps is to cover spikes. Still, that number seems awfully big, which would explain why all the big servers are corporate sponsored. Im sure someone here ran a CS server and could work out a figure based on that.

Matt

• Advertisement

ok, soon i will get my ass into gear about this project. have hopefully already got teh bandwidth part sorted, now i just need some hardware. that has to appear from somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Will this server be located in Ireland?
    For the hardware, you cant be AMD for price performance. Im sure some people have some old 1GHz+ Athlon CPUs lying around that would be suitable.

MAtt

it is supposed to be in the irishbroadband office. i ping 25ms to computers on their infrastructure from my eircom DSL

Advertisement