Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

licence question(s)

Options
  • 29-06-2003 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

ok. this might seem like a stupid question, but its one thats
    confusing me a little and i can't seem to find the info elsewhere.

so, i'm on my second provisional, from 26-11-01, so afaik thats
    valid till same time this Nov.?? anyways, i want to (finally) go
    ahead and get my full licence. one thing's bugging me though...
    i have the application form for the full driving licence, but, do i
    need to apply for the test seperately? before i send off this form?
    where do i apply for the test?

also, just to be sure, because i got my provisional before that
    theory test came in, i won't need to take that will i?

i know these are silly questions, but still...

any advice/info you guys can give me is much appreciated.

thanks
    anto.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.drivingtest.ie will explain everything, you can apply online too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    but, do i need to apply for the test seperately? before i send off this form?

Yes
    because i got my provisional before that
    theory test came in, i won't need to take that will i?
    No, you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

thanks guys, just need to get things straight in my head. thanks
    for the link Bond-James Bond. so for future reference, all i need to
    do is drop into my local test centre, apply, wait the long wait, and
    if/when i pass, apply for the actual licence. is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Almost - your application has to go to the Department of the environment in Ballina iirc - all the details are on the website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, you cant apply for a Driving Licence until you pass a drving test. Once you pass, you'll get a Certificate of Competency, which must be included along with your current provisional licence when drafting the application form.

You have 2 years after passing the test to apply for the full licence, but if you are like me, last month, I drove outta the test centre and straight to the car tax office (via the chemist for snaps!). :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

as soon as you pass your test, get your licence. I passed on the 17th of januaray 2000 but didnt bother sending in my app form and cert of competency till the end of august. dont ask me why i guess i just forgot! Anyway, Around december i get a letter from quinn direct saying i owe them 950 euros becuase they say i didnt hold a full licence. I rang and told them i did have a full licence and when i had passed the test. The fact that i waited so long to actually get my licence made them think for some reason i didnt have one and wanted more money. I ended up having to get the dept of enviroment send me a letter saying i held a full licence and passed on such date, which i had to fax to quinn direct to make them beleive me.

get you test, apply for your licence straight away and dont get grief from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

that clears up a few things for me. cheers lads. :)

Advertisement