Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom bits in the newspapers....

Options
  • 29-06-2003 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

From yesterdays Herald:

attachment.php?s=&postid=25641

Scan courtesy of www.radiowaves.fm.

News Update from Phantom Towers on Tuesday.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Both links were dead when I clicked on them. Can you do a copy and paste job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

link works for me...
    nice little paragraph. but i think phantom are going to need more then a paragraph in a bad news paper to get back on air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Agreed Tyrrial,

It will take a lot more than that, but these things are all good in changing perceptions in official circles. And to follow up that one, heres one from todays Irish Times. There are about 10 of these articles over the past few weeks which I will paste on to the board on a daily basis for peoples perusal. Never underestimate the power of a bit of publicity. And as I mentioned over the weekend, news update tomorrow.

Irish Times, Monday June 30th:

Only the State and well-heeled have a say in Dublin radio

Emmet Oliver

BUSINESS OPINION: What is the one thing 90 per cent of citizens do every day? Wash their hair? Take a bath? Read a newspaper? Watch their favourite soap?
    Hard to say. But research conducted by a plethora of advertising and market research agencies has found that 90 per cent of us listen to the radio at least once a day.

Something as familiar and ubiquitous as that can easily fade into the background. You jump into the car, turn on the ignition key and there it is - live radio.

Precisely because of this immediacy, radio tends to impinge on people only at a superficial level and there is little debate about whether listeners are being short-changed.

While plenty of snide references are made here about the American media market, what about our own? How competitive, diverse and open is the Irish radio market for instance?

Take Dublin, the most competitive and coveted radio market in the State. Since the passing of the Radio and Television Act in 1988, the IRTC (now the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland) has been responsible for licensing stations in this market.

Its performance in Dublin recently is patchy, although when one looks outside Dublin there are even more controversies.

Two legal actions are before the courts involving defeated licence candidates. Yesterday, crowds gathered in Sligo town to protest at the BCI's decision to strip North West Radio of its licence for the north-west.

The influential Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications has also written a report highly critical of the BCI. Just to add to its woes, the Minister for Communications, Mr Ahern, has initiated a review of the organisation to see if it can be more responsive to those applying for licences.

Why the organisation attracts so much ire is probably understandable. When you award a licence, the winners will be happy and the losers aggrieved.

But the BCI does not just license stations in a mechanical way. Written into legislation is an actual remit; that it shall encourage and establish "a diversity of services in an area catering for a wide range of tastes including those of minority interests".

The legislation also says that, when licences are awarded, attention will be paid to "the desirability of allowing any person, or group of persons, to have control of, or substantial interest in, an undue amount of the communications media".

So how has the BCI done? Have new initiative radio services come on-stream? Have new bright radio entrepreneurs been given their first break? Has the small guy been given a chance to try his hand on air against the big players?

Have the young people of Dublin, who like dance, alternative rock and all sorts of eclectic music, been catered for? Have those who want jazz, blues, traditional music been given what they want?

In Dublin, according to the BCI's own website, there are 10 commercial stations. They are: RTÉ Radio One, 2 FM, 98 FM, FM 104, Lite FM, Today FM, Lyric FM, NewsTalk 106, Spin 103 and Country 106.8.

For a population of more than one million people, there would appear to be no shortage of radio. But is there really a diversity of services or voices and who has benefited from the BCI's decisions?

Well, it would seem that, unless you are a State company like RTÉ, or a high-net-worth individual and tax exile like Denis O'Brien, you have little place in the Dublin radio market, unless you operate a tiny community service.

RTÉ has its three stations: Radio One, 2 FM and Lyric. Denis O'Brien owns 98 FM via Radio Two Thousand Ltd. Mr O'Brien also has a 38 per cent stake in NewsTalk 106 and over 30 per cent of youth dance station Spin 103.

So between RTÉ and Denis O'Brien over half of the stations in Dublin are controlled or substantially influenced by the State or Mr O'Brien. So no small guys there.

What about the rest? FM 104 is owned by the aviation millionaires Ulick and Desmond McEvaddy, millionaire concert promoter Jim Aitken, accountant Pearse Farrell, managing director Dermot Hanrahan and impresario Maurice Cassidy.

Large media corporations control the next two - Lite FM is owned by UTV and Today FM by Scottish Radio Holdings. Country 106.8 is probably the only one not controlled by a large group and that station - ironically - has struggled financially.

So, based on the Dublin experience, the winners of the licensing activity since 1998, at least in terms of ownership, have been wealthy individuals and those already deeply involved in the media sector.

But so what? Surely the BCI has to give licences to people who can ensure radio stations are popular and viable.

But even on that score the BCI, at least in Dublin where the largest single group of listeners is based, does not score too well, certainly not based on the past two years.

Take the JNLR figures for 2002. NewsTalk had a market share of zero per cent and Country had 1 per cent, while Spin was not on air long enough to have a market share figure.

The BCI argues these are niche or special interest stations so you do not expect huge audiences.

But look outside the BCI structure and there are plenty of stations previously turned down and others that have never had a chance to apply.

There is an array of special interest pirate stations, some believed to have large audiences. While some of the following have been raided in recent weeks and gone off air, they all had loyal followings: Jazz FM, Phantom FM, Nova 947, Horizon, Easy 105.7 FM, City FM and Ice FM.

People listened and are listening to these stations because the stations licensed by BCI are not catering for everyone.

Why doesn't the BCI (and the Government ultimately) loosen its grip on the market and let the small players get a chance to make their mark and provide some competition to the well-heeled radio bosses?

Denis O'Brien's Radio Two Thousand company, for example, made a pre-tax profit of €516,000 in 2001. Surely he could share a little of that.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Thats a great artical!

it might be enough to make me stop boycotting Irish Times.
    great to see that sort of thing getting such a good artical
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Agreed Tyrrial,

Denis O'Brien's Radio Two Thousand company, for example, made a pre-tax profit of €516,000 in 2001. Surely he could share a little of that.

People who listen to Phantom, as far as I know, are generally people who would not be normally bothered with radio at all.

They're (generally) the kind of people who revert to listening to mix tapes of their favorite alternative tracks now that Phantom is gone.

Therefore its makes sense, commercially, for these bigger companies to keep Phantom on-air - so they have a greater general listenership to pull from. McDonalds doesn't close down when a local chippie opens up the road from it... it makes more money because there is more people hitting the general area looking for food - a crude example but a relevant one.

This is why the big stations are nicking all the Phantom DJs.
    Phantom is economically viable, whilst also serving a specific area of musical interest.

I dunno maybe I'm just talking sh!t, but competition is often good for business. Present people with a choice and they will choose, rather than just shoving something in their face and telling them 'like it or lump it!'.

• Advertisement

spoiltbrat as far as i'm gathering, the radio stations do indeed notice that alt-music is a profatable area, but i've come to a different conclution to there plans....

firstly what do we want?:

a radio station for alternative music.

they know that they'll never be the station we want, and that phantom will be, right?
    so what there doing it apears is getting rid of phantom so that the entire listenership has to settle with a one hour radio show for Irish alternative music, hence the scouting of phantom DJ's. if phantom was on air, why whould be bother switching over for that one hour when we have a radio station of it 24 hours a day.

well, it's just a theory but if i was a souless bastard that ran a pop music radio station, that plan would sound pretty damn good.

Yeah, you're right in one way... the reason they're nabbing the Phantom DJs is that the listeners are out there. But like you say... they only turn on their radios for an hour each day to listen to these shows.

It makes more sense to have a bigger mass of radio listeners on the airwaves at all times - for example if you have a preset radio system, instead of listening to the "This week in Whelans.." ad for the 50th time in one day you might switch over to another station to save yourself the irritation. Thats how a lot of people would've found Phantom - trying to escape from 2fm and stumbled upon 91.6.

"Souless Bastard" is a great description of a 'current' major radio station boss I had the displeasure of meeting once. I started winding him up, pretending to ask innocent questions about Phantom, and he started all this bullsh!t about how Phantom were loaded and cheating musicians out of IMRO money - I know from personal experience having your track played on Phantom is a great achievment and more of a help to your average band than 20c from IMRO.

I better go before I start another war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Whelans ad is only played 24 times per day!!!! :)

Good thread this! BTW if you are in a band we would like to hear from you and what your opinion on the contribution that Phantom FM has made to the local music scene. Perhaps you have had your music played, been interviewed or have advertised your gig or CD release...let us know how we have helped!!

As spoilt brat said, it makes far more sense to have a radio station that caters for the alternative scean,

it would also make a lot of money. considering the growed of the alternative scean. but the points have more realistic problems...

Although it makes sense to have a radio station for us. it apear that once we enter a conversation about irish radio, whatever makes sense in the real workd doesn't seem to count.

secondly making money with a radio station like this would be fine.. if the owner happened to either:
    already own the rest of the dublin stations or
    has enough money to buy off anyone that gets in there way...

as far as i know pete reed dosen't get a limo to and from the station which as we well know automaticlt rules anyone out of gettinga radio licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Phantom FM are fundamentally how I got involved in the music business and also played a huge part in how I got to know the people in my social circle. From listening to Phantom I heard bands that I liked and went to see them, got to know them and now I have some of the closest and best friends I've ever had and at the end of the day it's all down to Phantom.

Phantom going off the air recently was a big upset in the Dublin music scene ranks. There have been single launches and there's an upcoming GigSmart Irish unsigned compilation release and all of the tracks would've been getting airplay and possibly attracting some more attention to local bands but the thousands of Phantom listeners have been cut off from hearing the music that they listen to Phantom for!

I owe Phantom a lot. They played a huge part in where I'm at today and the many new people I've met.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BrianD
    The Whelans ad is only played 24 times per day!!!! :)

Perhaps you have had your music played, been interviewed or have advertised your gig or CD release...let us know how we have helped!!

For the IRIS Launch gig we did an interview and the response was phenomenal. Phantom is a hub for the scene here in Dublin; even if you never listened to the station this message board alone is a great way of getting info on whats happening.

With the station being off the radio dials awareness might slip over the next while - some sort of a gig soon might be a good idea? I'm not suggesting me all meet at Central Bank and overthrow ComReg with a sit-in protest.... just a little awareness gig to help those in Phantom keep their heads up. Any ideas anyone?

i like the "overthrow ComReg with a sit-in protest" idea..
    probably because i'm pretty lazy and anything that involes sitting makes me happy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I actually liked phantoms advertsing, you knew what was going to be on cause it was drummed into your head like your 2 times tables 24 times a day....
    Now, i've missed gigs cause i didn't know they were on, and it wasn't beated into me like before.. hopefully phantom will return soon!

yeah i agree, i liked the fact that if i needed to know what was on in Whelans all i had to to is think of what sinister pete whould say in this situation..

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    yeah i agree, i liked the fact that if i needed to know what was on in Whelans all i had to to is think of what sinister pete whould say in this situation..

Genius! And what about "Whelan's late clubs, every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday AND Sunday night"

Wouldn't "Every night except Monday" have been easier?

when it comes to phantom the easy way is the wrong way!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭geekstinkbreath

Originally posted by spoiltbrat
    .. its makes sense, commercially, for these bigger companies to keep Phantom on-air - so they have a greater general listenership to pull from. ..
    This is why the big stations are nicking all the Phantom DJs.
    Phantom is economically viable, whilst also serving a specific area of musical interest.

I agree, also I think the bigger stations are playing on loyalty of the phantom listeners to those djs, to create an audience for themselves, and also they can use phantom as an easy training ground, they dont have to look far for talent.

Especially now that ph is off the fm band they have a big chance to pull 'wayward' ph listeners, all they have to do is wave a fat check around.

I have no problem with people exepting, and making a living I just think that phantom needs all the support and its not really fair to jump ship, as it were! especially now.

Anyway thats my crazy opinion
    (i'm sorry kinda strayed off the point of the post into my little rant..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

I personally fall into the category of people who never listened to the radio until I found Phantom. Maybe once in a while if I got the right time I listened to Tom Dunne but that was it.

I also used to believe that there were absolutely no good Irish bands and that the Irish music scene was dead. Phantom completely changed my perceptions. Through it I have discovered myriad new local music, venues and a community of people I didn't think existed in Dublin.

Thank you Phantom and good luck!

Advertisement