Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Player (9 series) wont play new DVDs

Options
  • 29-06-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone help? My media player (9) wont play certain new dvds because of "analogue copyright protection".
    i dont exactly feel like paying 80E for a powerdvd. any codecs i can "patch it up" with?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh my windows media player never did play dvd's dunno if it can would luv for someone to prove me wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

hey cr3m0,

you should be able to watch dvds on yer media player - i have no problems except with recently released dvds.
    apparently the problem that i have is that the dvd decoder that i have is not fully compatible with XP. i need an upgrade or a (set of) codecs, but i'm not a techie so its driving me nuts!
    check out www.dvdrhelp.com and look for freeware that you can download. I did find the error code that my player shows on the microsoft support site, but its no good to me - all chinese...
    cheerz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm sure my version did when i first installed it, somewhere on the play menu...
    that seems to have dissapeared recently tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've only got wmp9 on winME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Media player can only play DVD's if you're got a software decoder installed something like windvd or powerdvd for example.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

try installing one of the free dvd players from here, might do the trick...

http://download.com.com/3150-2194-0.html?tag=dir

yeah,
    the encoder that i have seems to be outdated & not compatible with xp. you know how the simplest of problems sometimes wreck your head...well.
    at this stage i dont think its worth lookin for a patch, might as well download a powerdvd or sumpin as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I only noticed it last night that none of my media players are able to play DVD's and on my win98se machine the same problem is happening. The only thing that they have in common is DX9.0.

Interactual Player (came with one of the DVD's) gave me one reason "Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem " Lower the resolution or colour depth isnt fixing it. RealOne, Windows Media Player and PowerDVD all crash without reason.:(

it seems that, in my case at least, the media player can play all dvds except copy protected ones. i first noticed that when i rented a new dvd and it wouldnt play.
    I did log on to www. download.com and d-loaded a powerdvd, but no joy...same problem. I guess the issue is protected material (the official "error" sez my outgoing tv jack is not on??).

Advertisement